[Solved] Forum signature won't upload new version

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 2

#1 DynV
Member since 2008 • 260 Posts

I finally created a forum signature unfortunately it was too big and its resize was cropping some part so I made a new version and read in the FAQ the 2nd version was just a bit larger so I uploaded a 3rd version but it seem it won't let it upload ; in fact the URL (Uploaded Image URL) display the 1st version. I even tried uploading something that looked completely different (but still fit the limit) but it doesn't change the URL neither the content it shows after a complete refresh (shift+refresh).

Thank you kindly for your help

Update1:

When I uploaded a new version it also rolled back the layout of the signature. Could it be that the signature URL was simply reverted alongside?

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Can you post a link of what the new one should look like?
DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DynV

Now the signature does indeed display that unrelated image I tried uploading as last resort (after the 3 versions). So I guess they uploaded correctly but the just wouldn't show up to me ; I did do full refreshed though (in the OP) ...

Can you post a link of what the new one should look like?Dracula68

Versions (corresponding to those in the OP) :

1 - gamespot,forum signature,banner
2 - gamespot,forum signature,banner
3 - gamespot,forum signature,banner

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I think your signature image just changed in the last few minutes to what you are describing as image #3. A few minutes earlier it was a 150x150 image stretched out to a larger size. This is probably the first time I've ever seen such a change as it actually occurred. Note that the URLs remaining the same even as you change the image is normal behavior on the part of the GS servers, although it confounds browser caches to no end. So at this point you have image #3 available for you to use, but you have some html issues in your signature that are distorting the image from its natural size. It looks to me like you are using the wysiwyg editor, and your html problem is a product of using the wysiwyg editor. Experience suggests that the odds of getting a satisfactory signature using the wysiwyg editor are pretty low. Disable the wysiwyg editor, wait for that change to take effect, and then edit the signature html directly to improve your chances of having everything come out right. The guys in How To can give you more guidance if you need it. Aside from that, it looks like the image upload mechanism is limping along, but the changes are just extremely slow to take effect, as they have been for a while.

DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DynV

So at this point you have image #3 available for you to use, but you have some html issues in your signature that are distorting the image from its natural size. It looks to me like you are using the wysiwyg editor, and your html problem is a product of using the wysiwyg editor. Experience suggests that the odds of getting a satisfactory signature using the wysiwyg editor are pretty low.gmax

The reason the code was not satisfactory was that it got rolled-back as the OP mentioned. That was a wise suggestion but for my blogs posts and signature, I always go into HTML mode checking the code and enabling my browser spell checker.

Everything seem to now be in order, I was surprised that the different uploads don't have different URLs but thought full refreshes would suffice to my dismay.

Thank you to those than gave a hand.