Solution to Video Streaming! V3

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeorgeTopouria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 GeorgeTopouria
Member since 2005 • 3988 Posts

(Achtung! : This is the new version of this thread, please try to keep it as organised as possible and reports your problems/solutions as clear as you can)
(Q : 1)

I get a black screen when trying to watch a video on GameSpot.

What is the problem and how can I solve it?

Most likely something is corrupted in your Windows Media Player. Try completely uninstalling and installing the latest Windows Media Player from Microsoft.com. Be sure that all browsers are closed during the uninstall/reinstall process.
Q1 Solution #1

When streaming the video, right click and choose options and -
Put Connection Speed to Default
Put Network Buffering to Default
Go to Advanced tab and Disable Video Mixing Render.

Q1 Solution #2

Try installing the Xvid Codec. This codec seemed to help many users watch videos again.
Q1 Solution #3

(Q : 2)
I can see the video but there is no sound.

What's the problem and how to fix it?

You might need an additional audio codec. Download the K-Lite codec pack from here.
Q2 Solution #1

(Q : 3)
I have a solution to video streaming.

How can I contribute to the community?

Post your solution in this thread. I will check into it and if I find it useful, I'll add it to the first post.
Q3 Solution #1

(Q : 4)
I have Netscape Navigator and I can't play the videos properly.

What's wrong?

Users from this thread recommended installing this update to solve the problem.

Q4 Solution #1

(Q : 5)

I have FireFox and I can't play the videos properly.

What's wrong and how can I fix this?

The solution is to install two missing DLLfiles in the Firefox plugins directory. You'll likely need to restart Firefox. The DLL's are:

• npdsplay.dll
  • npwmsdrm.dll

Q5 Solution #1

(Q : 6)

I've tried everything, but nothing has worked.

What do I do?

Your router may be using an updated version of firmware that is blocking your ability to view video from certain sites.

Use your router's support site about reverting to a previous version of the firmware.

Mozo336  reports his success:  I had a probem streaming video on this site and tried changing many settings and downloading many players and codecs. My poking finally paid off when I found out it was my router the whole time. Turns out that the newest firmware version 1.52.02 for my Linksys wireless router has a bug or something that messes with the streaming video. I just kicked it back a few revisions to version 1.50.14 and my video works perfectly now. I even tried going back to the newest firmware after getting it going and it kills it every time. Hope this helps someone.

Q6 Solution #1

(Q : 7)
Someone posted a solution, but I don't understand how to do that and they haven't replied to my post.

What should I do?

Send a PM to that person and ask them... nicely.  :)  Then report it back here for all of us to become wiser.

Q7 Solution #1

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Stuck. You might want to link the old thread for reference, though.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
I'm glad you took my advice, and made a new thread :)
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
Good job George. Good to see you back.:) I have had the issues where when you try and view a video the screen is black and the video player says "Ready". I, and others, have fixed that by opening up WMP and going to the onlien store. Then just close that out and view the video from GameSpot and it should work.
Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts

Are there any other methods to get rid of the "Ready" screen? I have tried everything listed above and this still hasnt stopped happening.

I recently reformatted my computer and just came back to gamespot for the first time after re-installing everything. Before the reformat every video opened with no problems. Now when I try to open a video, the Gamespot video player window comes up, windows media player says it is connecting to the media... and the it just shows "Ready"... and nothing happens. I can click on the play button and it just shows "connecting to media" again.

So I'm not really sure whats up but any help would be appreciated.

BowtieII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BowtieII
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I had a probem streaming video on this site and tried changing many settings and downloading many players and codecs. My poking finally paid off when I found out it was my router the whole time. Turns out that the newest firmware version 1.52.02 for my Linksys wireless router has a bug or something that messes with the streaming video. I just kicked it back a few revisions to version 1.50.14 and my video works perfectly now. I even tried going back to the newest firmware after getting it going and it kills it every time. Hope this helps someone.
Dyrvom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Dyrvom
Member since 2004 • 57 Posts
I am having problem 1, the lack of video to accomponay my audio. I have un/reinstalled WMP 11, tried rolling back to WMP 10, tried reinstalling java, have installed Xvid, and have configured my advanced options as instructed. I also tried reducing video acceleration to none, as recommended in the other threads. I still have the problem.
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
I have a problem watching Live videos. I get 'Connecting to Media' for a long time, then 'Ready'. This only happens with live videos, I can watch replays. Anyone have any help?
azvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 azvin
Member since 2002 • 42 Posts
I've tried all the fixes listed here and none of them did anything to help. I usually can play non live videos but thats it. For live events I have to wait till I'm able to download them which is a huge pain. Thing is it never used to be like this until sometime last year. I'm really upset with gamespot about this. I pay for their serives and it seems like they are barely trying to get this problem fixed. If they don't do something soon I think I'm going to have to cancel my susbscribtion. I've been here since Videogames.com and it would be a shame to have to leave.
renagadez187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 renagadez187
Member since 2005 • 2088 Posts
Nothings works and I have tried everything. Iv'e got the latest version of WMP and ive followed the steps in the first post and still nothing. All it duz is say 'connecting to media' then says 'ready' but then nothing happens. needing help urgently. also this isnt the first time, i have not been able to play a video since i signed up.
weeraz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weeraz89
Member since 2005 • 547 Posts

Hi, I've got a problem with the audio from gamespot's streamed movies. As of a few months now, the video plays but I get no audio. I followed the guide and installed all the codecs and I have WMP 10.

Can someone please help? Thanks

Oh and this only happens with Gamespot movies, everywhere else is fine

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LTomlinson21

Are there any other methods to get rid of the "Ready" screen? I have tried everything listed above and this still hasnt stopped happening.

I recently reformatted my computer and just came back to gamespot for the first time after re-installing everything. Before the reformat every video opened with no problems. Now when I try to open a video, the Gamespot video player window comes up, windows media player says it is connecting to the media... and the it just shows "Ready"... and nothing happens. I can click on the play button and it just shows "connecting to media" again.

So I'm not really sure whats up but any help would be appreciated.

Dysantic

I have a problem watching Live videos. I get 'Connecting to Media' for a long time, then 'Ready'.
This only happens with live videos, I can watch replays.
Anyone have any help?hazbazz

I have had the issues where when you try and view a video the screen is black and the video player says "Ready". I, and others, have fixed that by opening up WMP and going to the onlien store. Then just close that out and view the video from GameSpot and it should work.

Versus_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Versus_XIII
Member since 2006 • 1250 Posts

Hi, I've got a problem with the audio from gamespot's streamed movies. As of a few months now, the video plays but I get no audio. I followed the guide and installed all the codecs and I have WMP 10.

weeraz89

Have you tried going to the control panel and adjust the sound? It can be WMP was installed the program resestted all your volume features.
weeraz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weeraz89
Member since 2005 • 547 Posts
[QUOTE="weeraz89"]

Versus_XIII

Have you tried going to the control panel and adjust the sound? It can be WMP was installed the program resestted all your volume features.

what exactly do I do? the wierd thing is though that I get sound in some videos and not in others.

Kewin86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kewin86
Member since 2004 • 53 Posts
I keep getting disconnected when i try to stream from gamespot. I would think its my router but not so sure when i stream from other sites that also use windows media player it works fine. Its only on gamespot any thoughts?
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mosespippy
Member since 2005 • 7501 Posts
The Event Viewer won't work on my Mac. I downloaded the latest Windows Media Player for Mac, but it doesn't know how to open the .bin file, so I can't install it. Can anyone help?

Edit: Fixed the problem. For Mac users you need Windows Media Player 9 for Mac and to install it you need Stuffit Expander
LordRevan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordRevan1
Member since 2005 • 14795 Posts

Help!!!!!!!! I tried to watch todays episode of Button Mashing

( "When I say button u say mashing!!

Button!!

........................................................................ did u guys say mashing yet?)

and it didnt even load the windows media player. Plz help. I'll get back to u if I cant watch the replay.

LordRevan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordRevan1

Yep, its confirmed. It only happens on live shows because I just finished watching the replay of Button Mashing ( Did anyone else come close to punching their monitor on Memory Leak from anger of the contestant's stupidity?) and it worked perfectly. Plz help.

And if ur wondering, this doesnt only happen on Button Mashing. It happened to me on that BattleStations Midway event a few days back.

death_bagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 death_bagel
Member since 2006 • 3449 Posts

Yep, its confirmed. It only happens on live shows because I just finished watching the replay of Button Mashing ( Did anyone else come close to punching their monitor on Memory Leak from anger of the contestant's stupidity?) and it worked perfectly. Plz help.

And if ur wondering, this doesnt only happen on Button Mashing. It happened to me on that BattleStations Midway event a few days back.

LordRevan1
that happend to me on the Battlestations live event. I opened it up the first time, and it worked. And then someone called and kicked me off the net and coulden't open the video up again.  I still go emblem tho.
LordRevan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LordRevan1
I still got the emblem, too.
helluvagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 helluvagood
Member since 2004 • 9182 Posts
The emblem might b gltihced
Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts
Is this thread only for Live Event Streaming or is it also for User Videos as well?
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LTomlinson21
Is this thread only for Live Event Streaming or is it also for User Videos as well? Sidburn19
It seems to be more directed toward non-user videos, but anything can be tried, asked, or suggested.
Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts

Well i'm having problem with playing user video, everytime I watch a just video is keeps freezing and its starts to load this happend all the time even on clips that are only 30 sec long. I have the newest version on flash player.

This problem is only resason, video use to run fine for me before.

Any advice?

X-gamer-88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 X-gamer-88
Member since 2005 • 1811 Posts
I think I got the same problem as many of us. I can't stream videos. I get the "ready" thing too and I tried everything but nothing works. Tried to download a new version of WMP, tried to download that other player, davix or whatever it's called, tried to change my settings. Nothing works, any other suggestions.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LTomlinson21
[QUOTE="X-gamer-88"]I think I got the same problem as many of us. I can't stream videos. I get the "ready" thing too and I tried everything but nothing works. Tried to download a new version of WMP, tried to download that other player, davix or whatever it's called, tried to change my settings. Nothing works, any other suggestions.

I have had the issues where when you try and view a video the screen is black and the video player says "Ready". I, and others, have fixed that by opening up WMP and going to the onlien store. Then just close that out and view the video from GameSpot and it should work.
X-gamer-88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 X-gamer-88
[QUOTE="LTomlinson21"][QUOTE="X-gamer-88"]I think I got the same problem as many of us. I can't stream videos. I get the "ready" thing too and I tried everything but nothing works. Tried to download a new version of WMP, tried to download that other player, davix or whatever it's called, tried to change my settings. Nothing works, any other suggestions.

What do you mean by online store?
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LTomlinson21
[QUOTE="X-gamer-88"][QUOTE="LTomlinson21"][QUOTE="X-gamer-88"]I think I got the same problem as many of us. I can't stream videos. I get the "ready" thing too and I tried everything but nothing works. Tried to download a new version of WMP, tried to download that other player, davix or whatever it's called, tried to change my settings. Nothing works, any other suggestions.

What do you mean by online store?

Open up WMP, then go to "Guide". Then try and play your video through GameSpot. I believe that is what I did.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a90d0a255fa9
deactivated-5a90d0a255fa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5a90d0a255fa9
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
The Online Store Suggestion didn't work for me. However, I finally found a solution. What you need to do is to go into a site like msn or yahoo and open up a video that uses Windows Media Player (eg a Music Video). Close this down, and open up Gamespot and then for some reason the Gamespot Videos will work. I am not sure why this happens. You will need to do this everytime you restart your computer. I hope it works for you.
X-gamer-88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X-gamer-88
The Online Store Suggestion didn't work for me. However, I finally found a solution. What you need to do is to go into a site like msn or yahoo and open up a video that uses Windows Media Player (eg a Music Video). Close this down, and open up Gamespot and then for some reason the Gamespot Videos will work. I am not sure why this happens. You will need to do this everytime you restart your computer. I hope it works for you. Jasper541

I try that and I ll let you guys know if that works.
X-gamer-88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 X-gamer-88
No doesn't work either.
PabloDSZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PabloDSZ
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts
I've tried everything and it doesn't work, in fact, it wont stream anything, not just from gamespot but from any website
Avatar image for deactivated-5a90d0a255fa9
deactivated-5a90d0a255fa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5a90d0a255fa9
Hi X-gamer-88, I am sorry my suggestion didn't work for you. It did work for me. Obviously, there is an issue with Gamespot, as the various fixes that have worked for other people shouldn't be necessary. I have no problems with streaming video with any other site. It would be nice for someone from Gamespot to comment on this issue given that many people seem to be effected.. Hopefully, the issue will get fixed soon. Otherwise there are other options for getting gaming news.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
    I can't stream videos with WMP 11. I have tried every solution mentioned above. GameSpot have had this problem for a very long time now. I am very disappointed to see that it is still unresolved. WMP 11 works fine on every other site I visit, so what gives?
JOD172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JOD172
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
It seems I have the dreaded 'Ready' thing going on too... actually, more often it just says 'Connecting to media...' then 'Stopped' but I think that may be a difference between WMP 10 and 11. The strange thing is, I can watch older Low-res only files (Prince of Persia: 2 Thrones trailer) but nothing that has a hi-res option (Crackdown review). I've tried changing the quality to low res for the later files but no luck there.

I tried the online store thing, uninstalling quicktime, deleting cookies and cache. I'm running in Vista but I don't think it's that as it's only a recent problem. I can't for the life of me think what's changed recently. Next up is reinstalling WMP and then rolling back router firmware. If anyone's got any other suggestions, I'd be grateful.
JOD172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JOD172
OK, so I don't know if Gamespot have actually fixed this or maybe I did something today, but now it seems to be working again. I tried to watch On the Spot (not live) and it worked and then everything else did. I still have an issue of the windows resizing so there's a big blank grey area to the right of the video. Hopefully that'll fix itself too.
astro64th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 astro64th
Member since 2003 • 1701 Posts
I have a question about user reviews. They seem to generally play fine, but they make this really annoying "skipping" that bugs the crap out of me. It won't seem to play smoothly. And this is for user videos, not for regular videos that stream from the site. Those work fine (although the commercials go all . . . green, for some reason, which is kind of weird, but the actual movies work). Also, sometimes user videos will do that "loading" thing with the round circle, and it just seems to load forever. Any ideas?

Thanks.
astro64th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 astro64th
Member since 2003 • 1701 Posts
Oh, and I am using Firefox. Version . . . 2.0.0.1 Although I also have this IE plug-in for Firefox, and I tried it on both and it didn't change.
blasko229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 blasko229
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
FLV FTW!!!!!!!
If all the videos were changed to FLV (flash) files then we wouldn't have all these crappy problems with videos and sound not working properly. Windows media format is very buggy on many people's systems. I only get a successful video 6/10 tries. Any site that uses FLVs like youtube always work solid. Then we wouldn't need "solutions" we could just check out the games and previews without slamming our mice down.
FLV FTW!!!!!!!
Laykus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Laykus
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Just visited ign, wasn't a prob to see their vids.
Maybe you should ask how they do it.
and copy it here
Jerell_rast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Jerell_rast
Member since 2004 • 7095 Posts
This solution can also be added to the first post. Apparently, some Firefox users are missing a certain plug-in that prevents them from streaming a video. I found this suggestion here. Hope this has helped:).
pySHtr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pySHtr
I had the same problem with some videos while using firefox. Works now. Go here:
http://blog.ryaneby.com/archives/firefox-cant-play-applicationx-mplayer2-embeds/
JOD172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JOD172
Uninstalling Java Runtime Environment update 10 and reinstalling update 11 worked for me... I must have done something similar to this before.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I can watch vids through IE7, but I cant through firefox, keeps on asking me to download a plug in manually, but I already have the latest version of WMP11.............anyone know whats up?
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
This solution can also be added to the first post. Apparently, some Firefox users are missing a certain plug-in that prevents them from streaming a video. I found this suggestion here. Hope this has helped:).Jerell_rast
It works and my firefox now plays WMP here, woot!! Thanks a lot dude.
Smood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Smood
Member since 2003 • 239 Posts
I have a very strange problem where I get the streams buffering (under windows media player) and then they just stop and the status bar says 'ready'. But streaming videos via windows media player is working FINE on gametrailers.com. I tried Opera, IE 6 and I'm on windows XP Pro SP1 with xvid codec and all other solutions tried (but not working). Any ideas?