So-and-So Mentioned you in a Comment (does not work)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 p1p3dream
Member since 2015 • 1546 Posts

When I get replys to my comments on Gamespot, the links that are supposed to take you directly to the reply do not seem to be working. Instead of the notifications taking you to your replys, it simply drops you into the first page of whatever is being discussed. This is not very useful, and it's very time consuming to wade through pages and pages of comments to try and find your one comment that has been replied to. This has been broken for a very long time- is Gamespot aware of this?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

It's happend to me on and off since I joined. Gamespot probably are aware of it as others have complained in the past.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#3 wemmick
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@p1p3dream: We had fixed it at one point, but I was not aware it broke again. We'll dig into it.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wemmick

@p1p3dream: Was this in an article, or on the forums?

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 p1p3dream

@wemmick: I suspected that you guys might not be aware that it was broken again. I do remember it being fixed at one point many many months ago, but at some point- it broke again. I know that it is effecting many other users as I brought this issue up in the "EDGE OF NOWHERE" review thread, and many users chimed in with "me to's."

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/edge-of-nowhere-review/1900-6416447/#js-message-354089032

Oh and to answer your question, this is in the articles... Specifically, Game Reviews... These are pretty much the only place I post on this website. This is the first time I've posted someplace else. :) If you could get this bug fixed, I know that you would be making a lot of people happy.

-Eric

ecurl143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By ecurl143
Member since 2011 • 745 Posts

@wemmick: Yes it's in the articles themselves. I receive emails when someone posts a reply to a comment I've made in a thread and I used to click the link in the email and that took you directly to the comment & the response but as already mentioned, it no longer does this for some reason? I would imagine for me personally, this has been the case for at least 6 months or so, maybe longer.

Hope it gets resolved as it was a very useful feature.

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 p1p3dream

@ecurl143: Such a useful feature- I think that with the feature broken it directly effects the level of discussion that users are having on the website. I have a very strong feeling that if you fix that bug, you will see a surge in user engagement, since users will be able to actually track their conversations easily. It's so difficult now that when conversations fall off the main page, I usually just give up trying to reply, and If this is the case for me, then it has to be the case for other users as well.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wemmick

@p1p3dream: Thanks guys, we'll get it taken care of.

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 p1p3dream

@wemmick: I can see that it's working a lot better now, thank you so much! The Gamespot community and myself Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

While we're discussing, I just wanted to let you know that it appears to work for all the comments that appear in the PULLDOWN menu at top screen, however, comments that are deeper back on commment pages don't seem to be linking properly. But maybe its just an issue with old comments not being compatible with the new fix. I will monitor it.

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 p1p3dream

@wemmick: Hey guys- I just wanted to let you know that this bug doesn't seem to be quite squashed yet. It seems to work sometimes, but for the most part when you are notified that you have had a comment replied to, clicking on the link still only is returning us to the article, and is not returning us to the actual comment.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

As far as I'm concerned this bug was never once fixed. 90% of the time I end up on the last page of the comments regardless of what page they should be on. About the only time it does work is if the comment section only has one page.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wemmick

@p1p3dream: As noted by snowman, it is not yet fixed. We are shooting to address it in the next two weeks.

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By p1p3dream

@suicidesn0wman: That's a good spot. I concur that when it does work, it's when the comment that you are linking to is on the first page- as soon as the comment gets buried a few pages in, it no longer functions.

@wemmick - Sincerely appreciate your follow up and transparency on this. As I've said before, I think this is a really fantastic feature that you have included in your new Gamespot website, and I really think it helps the engagement of your users with your site. OK Granted, I'll admit "engagement" can be swapped out with "users flaming each other" over who's computer system is the mostest computer system. ;) Still, I've had some wonderful debates and conversations with users in the past due this feature.

Good luck, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with testing on a user end.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 suicidesn0wman

@wemmick said:

@p1p3dream: As noted by snowman, it is not yet fixed. We are shooting to address it in the next two weeks.

So whatever happened to this getting fixed? Nothing has changed, and it's now been almost 3 and a half months since the initial report.

I still have to edit the value for "comment_page" in the URL in order to get the link to direct me to the correct comment.

Example:

A convo I had with another user was started on page 2, but the url I received in my email and from the Notifications icon up top is... http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-exec-on-ps4-pro-42-teraflops-is-not-enou/1100-6443775/?comment_page=11#js-message-354408717

The working link would be http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-exec-on-ps4-pro-42-teraflops-is-not-enou/1100-6443775/?comment_page=2#js-message-354408717

This bug is universal between all of my devices and browsers.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wemmick

@suicidesn0wman: We thought we had a fix, but clearly it's not working properly. We now have another ticket in the system, and we'll take a look at it soon.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#16 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

A work-around that I know works for me for now is to delete the ""comment_page" variable, leaving the one with the variable with the hash (#) behind. This will only bring up the correct page - it won't recenter your browser view to the comment.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wemmick

@suicidesn0wman: This should be fixed now - if you're still seeing issues, please let us know!

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 suicidesn0wman

@wemmick: Problem with the 'See whole thread' link on emails. Url is missing the domain.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 suicidesn0wman

Works if I use the link from the Notifications Icon up top. Only email has issues far as I can tell.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wemmick

@suicidesn0wman: Yep, I see it. We're on it!

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 p1p3dream

@wemmick: I feel like the town hero.