This topic is locked from further discussion.

SavoyPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SavoyPrime
Member since 2003 • 41098 Posts

Is a site redesign in the works or are we going to be stuck with this Giant Bomb knockoff look for quite some time? I know it was said that the look of the site before this last redesign was ran on old code and blah blah blah. But the site was just much better then. Looks-wise and content-wise. The blogging system was better (and it was easier to see blogs that friends had made). Unions were around (and great if ran by good leader and crew). Even the badge system was fun. The redesign just took the soul of the site away and it hasn't recovered in my opinion.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

i amazed this site is still ticking. The front page has gotten more mediocre with time

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I have no idea why I still come here so often, were like NPC's from Dark Souls 2.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4397 Posts

It doesn't help that they moved those crappy ads at the bottom of the page to the top....seriously, wtf?

Thankfully Adblock - 6 rounds of blocking crappy ads - removed them from showing up at the top for me....at least for now.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Agreed, I literally stopped visiting this site altogether since the redesign and the forum change.

The old one had problems but this is just terrible.

Not to mention every video having freaking ads, why would I EVER watch gameplay or a review on a terrible media player with a 30 second ad when I can watch the same gameplay on Youtube without atrocious ads?

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By sith_acolyte15
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

This site is definitely a shell of its former self. Getting rid of unions was by far their worst decision.

Avatar image for addictedtochaos
addictedtochaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By addictedtochaos
Member since 2004 • 1142 Posts

Yeah, I used to visit this site daily, but ever since the redesign and losing collections in favor of the horribly broken stacks, I may come here 2 or 3 times a year.

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By p1p3dream
Member since 2015 • 1546 Posts

I don't mean to be a jerk or ungrateful to gamespot, but I have to admit I was immediately turned off by the "re-design" the performance was MARKEDLY worse, it feels like a clunky shoe or somethingl.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#9 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

It's not just a redesign problem. It's their attitude. They, the company itself, perhaps not individual staff members, have given up. I really don't know what the point is anymore. It is a shell and I'm not sure what they're gaining by keeping things afloat.

CraftBrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 CraftBrood
Member since 2017 • 50 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

It's not just a redesign problem. It's their attitude. They, the company itself, perhaps not individual staff members, have given up. I really don't know what the point is anymore. It is a shell and I'm not sure what they're gaining by keeping things afloat.

Revenue from ads. That's the only reason CBS keeps it running. They don't give two shits about games.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Has anyone else noticed that ads are slipping through adblock plus on Chrome? I'm worried I'm tacitly supporting these guys through ad revenue. Any advice?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Has anyone else noticed that ads are slipping through adblock plus on Chrome? I'm worried I'm tacitly supporting these guys through ad revenue. Any advice?

Doing it on Firefox. Ublock won't let you post.

The ads themselves are sending scripts that basically kill the browser, aside from that they are qeastionable in nature, and that's being kind.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@uninspiredcup: @SolidSnake35:Have to create custom filters to get around the ads. I haven't seen an ad on here since they started post loading them on document.ready.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4397 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

I'm running Adblock on Chrome and I don't get ads on gamespot anymore. I don't watch their crappy videos, so I can't comment there about ads, but all the annoying side panel ads, the ones at the bottom of the page and ones that shifted to the top (a bit of work blocking them with Adblock) have not come back for me.

Of course, this forum and site in general is in the tank. This is the 2nd time I've visited the site this month. I used to visit the site a dozen times a day under the old site. When it changed over I only came to the site a couple times a day and as time has gone on....as you can see, I'm here maybe twice a month now. The saddest thing here is when I check some of the forums I used to frequent, I see many of the same posts that were made 2-4 weeks back still at the top with very few new response. Nothing new is getting posted on some of these forum topics now.

Now that I think about it, I don't even know why I'm here and posting this. GS doesn't care anymore in making this site great again. If you bitch enough about it they might respond with some post about how they're working on things, but the actual users can see with their own eyes that nothing has changed. I suppose I've got better things to do with my time over complaining on here anymore.

RIP Gamespot. You were once great and unique. Now you're just a lost soul and shell of your former self.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

A lot of regulars left after the redesign, shame.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

@SolidSnake35 said:

Blame CBS. Since they took over this site has lost all credibility (ahem Gertsmangate). I haven't read an article in almost a decade, just here for the community.

As long as they're under the thumb of CBS things aren't going to change.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@SolidSnake35 said:

Blame CBS. Since they took over this site has lost all credibility (ahem Gertsmangate). I haven't read an article in almost a decade, just here for the community.

As long as they're under the thumb of CBS things aren't going to change.

I gotta admit, half the reason I'm still around is to witness the eventual closure of this site, and to poach as many users as I can when that day comes. :x

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

The redesign has effected the most active forums on this site.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3850 Posts

I can't stand this site anymore. I acme to game spot when it first went on line back in the 90's. It no longer has any worth while content. All the good staff people left a while ago and this site just plain sucks.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#20 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Like others here, I used to go on GS all the time before the big redesign. For a while, I was posting everyday. I can even remember it was 4 years ago this month that the redesign hit. From that point on, I have been coming here less and less. I just hate how it all had to come down to this.