This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ArmoredCore55
#201 Posted by ArmoredCore55 (24049 posts) -
People were able to advertise unions in their blog, sig, and in the union recruitment board. It's been that way for some years.
Avatar image for SQUALL20XX
#202 Posted by SQUALL20XX (6063 posts) -

Unions we live ... Haters we die ... #SOU

Avatar image for branketra
#203 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

Unions are an important collective part of Gamespot for many users. Leaving them behind would be a costly mistake because union frequenters have expressed they will leave Gamespot if unions are not included in the new site.

Avatar image for clock0
#204 Posted by clock0 (226 posts) -
Hello everyone I know its sad to see the unions go :( I don't want them to and none of you do either
Avatar image for Noteldnep
#205 Posted by Noteldnep (20167 posts) -
So, how are unions going to be converted into public boards, anyway?
Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#206 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
[QUOTE="DeadManRollin"]Sometimes getting rid of the source for "quarter of a 1% of traffic" can cause the disappearance of a quarter of your active users. Data and statistics don't always give proper insight on a true nature of things. You should look in to the contributors of this small amount of users and dig down. How many of them are 10 year old users? How many of them have made most of their posts in the unions? How many of them only accesses the unions? How many of them didn't show up at all while unions were down for maintenance? Only then you can take the decision of shutting them down. I want unions to stay, please.

They obviously haven't done that
Avatar image for twentymooseman
#207 Posted by twentymooseman (344 posts) -

I want the unions to stay

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#208 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
So, how are unions going to be converted into public boards, anyway?Noteldnep
They're going to ask the leaders of the union
Avatar image for Noteldnep
#209 Posted by Noteldnep (20167 posts) -
The reason I wondered is because I hadn't been contacted yet. I already filled out that form on Google that the FAQ linked us to though.
Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#210 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
I haven't been contacted either, i filled out the form and notified Synthia on her blog
Avatar image for metroid_dragon
#211 Posted by metroid_dragon (1962 posts) -

[QUOTE="Noteldnep"]So, how are unions going to be converted into public boards, anyway?The_Last_Ride
They're going to ask the leaders of the union

Leader of the Legend of Zelda Union here. Still have NOT received any communication on this front.

Would anyone be so kind as to provide a link to that google doc / faq mentioned last page?

Avatar image for larkanderson
#212 Posted by larkanderson (2227 posts) -
You can find the details on this here: http://www.gamespot.com/features/gamespot-the-faq-6414631/#q10
Avatar image for Green_Chaos
#213 Posted by Green_Chaos (365 posts) -
Most of the unions that I'm a member of are either dead or dying. Some have tried posting to come back, but most are out of commission. I would like to see some unions become deactivated due to long term inactivity, but taking unions out all together will cause a strike among the site.
Avatar image for J_O1ne
#214 Posted by J_O1ne (129 posts) -
Most unions are inactive and I agree with GS on getting rid of them.
Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#215 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -
Most unions are inactive and I agree with GS on getting rid of them. J_O1ne
Have you ever been in one or even an active one?
Avatar image for J_O1ne
#216 Posted by J_O1ne (129 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:
Most unions are inactive and I agree with GS on getting rid of them. J_O1ne
Have you ever been in one or even an active one?

Of course and most are inactive and I salute Gamespot for getting rid of them.

Avatar image for leon2365
#217 Posted by leon2365 (13090 posts) -

so far, no boards yet.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#218 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@leon2365 said:

so far, no boards yet.

yeah, they aren't here yet, they better be!

Avatar image for TAMKFan
#219 Posted by TAMKFan (33239 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@leon2365 said:

so far, no boards yet.

yeah, they aren't here yet, they better be!

By the way, I heard from Frances yesterday that SCU should be carried over. Hopefully, that'll be true.

Avatar image for BrunoBRS
#220 Edited by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

waiting...

Avatar image for Avenger1324
#221 Edited by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

well this certainly makes it harder for us to complete our union competition...

I guess I missed the announcement (if there was one) that the switch was taking place today?

Avatar image for leon2365
#222 Posted by leon2365 (13090 posts) -

switch was yesterday.

Avatar image for papermariofan57
#224 Edited by papermariofan57 (121959 posts) -

@TAMKFan said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@leon2365 said:

so far, no boards yet.

yeah, they aren't here yet, they better be!

By the way, I heard from Frances yesterday that SCU should be carried over. Hopefully, that'll be true.

Hopefully what you say is true! I tried to contact Lark and Synthia, but for some reason I got ignored...

Avatar image for leon2365
#225 Posted by leon2365 (13090 posts) -

probably more preoccupied with the site and its many problems.

Avatar image for TAMKFan
#226 Posted by TAMKFan (33239 posts) -

@papermariofan57 said:

@TAMKFan said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@leon2365 said:

so far, no boards yet.

yeah, they aren't here yet, they better be!

By the way, I heard from Frances yesterday that SCU should be carried over. Hopefully, that'll be true.

Hopefully what you say is true! I tried to contact Lark and Synthia, but for some reason I got ignored...

I also PMed Synthia and she told me SCU will be carried over as well. It looks like SCU will stay after all.

Avatar image for Rayrota
#227 Posted by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

@Avenger1324: Our backup message board is still there, mate. Drop by anytime.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#228 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@TAMKFan said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@leon2365 said:

so far, no boards yet.

yeah, they aren't here yet, they better be!

By the way, I heard from Frances yesterday that SCU should be carried over. Hopefully, that'll be true.

i got confirmation, it will be carried over

Avatar image for TAMKFan
#229 Edited by TAMKFan (33239 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: From who? Synthia?

Avatar image for leon2365
#230 Posted by leon2365 (13090 posts) -

and when will the forums be available?

Avatar image for Neo_Ike
#231 Edited by Neo_Ike (10682 posts) -

@BrunoBRS: only reason i cared for GameSpot was for the unions in the first place. I really don't . this site turn away from one of their most appealing features

Avatar image for Redders1989
#232 Edited by Redders1989 (13410 posts) -

This does seem odd - were Union Leaders contacted at all? Seems a few people here saying there wasn't any, and our Union doesn't seem to have made it here either (Our leader was fully aware we wanted to keep our Union here) - so are they coming back? Or have we lost them? It's been a few days now and I'm a little concerned...

Avatar image for TAMKFan
#233 Posted by TAMKFan (33239 posts) -

@Redders1989 said:

This does seem odd - were Union Leaders contacted at all? Seems a few people here saying there wasn't any, and our Union doesn't seem to have made it here either (Our leader was fully aware we wanted to keep our Union here) - so are they coming back? Or have we lost them? It's been a few days now and I'm a little concerned...

Union Leaders were supposed to be contacted through PM. As a Union Leader, I was. Some unions are coming back.

Avatar image for MrStarkiller
#234 Posted by MrStarkiller (18853 posts) -

^I wonder if they'll silently pick and choose between those they want to bring back despite the process merely noting one just has to contact them with the information requested to be converted. Seems right up their alley, really.

NOTE: I don't believe my previous post was during the downtime, so it shouldn't be gone. Though it also shouldn't be in the spot of the deleted one either.

Avatar image for sonictrainer
#235 Posted by sonictrainer (15186 posts) -

Has anything else been said or done yet?

Avatar image for leon2365
#236 Posted by leon2365 (13090 posts) -

nothing so far.

Avatar image for Redders1989
#237 Posted by Redders1989 (13410 posts) -

So... have any Unions been transferred over to forums on here yet? At least if they have I can see if ours made it over or not. It's causing a lot of headaches and I just want to know already!

Avatar image for digitaldame
#238 Posted by digitaldame (5401 posts) -

Lark was out yesterday but I will poke him today about this and get back to you guys as soon as I get an answer out of him.

Avatar image for leon2365
#239 Posted by leon2365 (13090 posts) -

sweet. hopefully its good news.

Avatar image for Azure-Supernova
#240 Edited by Azure-Supernova (5631 posts) -

It is really bizzare coming back to GameSpot after 5 years and seeing everything changed. Worst of all is that I can't look up any old friends because there are no comments on my blog, my list is wiped clean (as are my messages) and I can't check to see if they're still active on our old Unions. This is BEYOND weird.

Avatar image for Avenger1324
#241 Edited by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

@Rayrota said:

@Avenger1324: Our backup message board is still there, mate. Drop by anytime.

Thanks mate - nice to see GS notifications are working well - just 11 days late!

I've signed up and in "verification" :)

Avatar image for kitty
#242 Posted by kitty (115325 posts) -

Unions are still in the database. The ones that were carried over at least. I know that much, or my post count would have dropped even more. As it stands, the boards that didn't make the cut, costed me about 6k posts. Had a union I was part of since 2008 didn't make the cut, I would be at maybe 60k posts atm.

Avatar image for TAMKFan
#243 Posted by TAMKFan (33239 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

Unions are still in the database. The ones that were carried over at least. I know that much, or my post count would have dropped even more. As it stands, the boards that didn't make the cut, costed me about 6k posts. Had a union I was part of since 2008 didn't make the cut, I would be at maybe 60k posts atm.

But I've also heard that the post count thing is a bug.

Avatar image for kitty
#244 Edited by kitty (115325 posts) -

@TAMKFan said:

@2ndwonder said:

Unions are still in the database. The ones that were carried over at least. I know that much, or my post count would have dropped even more. As it stands, the boards that didn't make the cut, costed me about 6k posts. Had a union I was part of since 2008 didn't make the cut, I would be at maybe 60k posts atm.

But I've also heard that the post count thing is a bug.

The lost post count? I don't think so. I do believe you and me and others lost posts because the boards/ucbs/unions we posted on, didn't get carried over. The amount I lost, 6k, makes sense with the not getting carried over. You could be right, as I don't know for sure. But that was the only conclusion I could come to, since everything didn't get carried over.

Avatar image for michaelP4
#245 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -

Re-opening the topic. I've received many PMs from users who feel closing it was an attempt to silence them. I can assure you, it was not. I did not close this topic nor know who did or see a reason why it was closed in the first place.

This issue still hasn't been dealt with and I will not allow it to be sweeped under the carpet until we have the promised union transfers to boards. I'm with you all the way on this guys - you gotta keep pressing the issue (in this topic - don't bother the mods or admins with it - they do read this board and are aware of this) until you get what you're owed.

Thank you and apologies this topic was closed in the first place - it shouldn't have been.

Avatar image for Avenger1324
#246 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -

Thanks for getting this re-opened.

Having this locked without a closing comment did make it look like it was being made to disappear out of sight and hopefully out of mind.

It's now been a month since the current site went live and the unions disappeared. Really now looking for an answer as to what's happening.

Avatar image for michaelP4
#247 Edited by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -

I know that Synthia is bringing this up in meetings behind the scenes. We'll hopefully get an update in the near future. Unfortunately until then, there's other issues GS is dealing with at the moment. The main thing is, we got a guarantee on this - so it's up to GS to deliver on it. This topic will serve in keeping this issue on the agenda. All and any support for the union transfers should be made clear in here until we see it through.

Secure Our Unions!

Avatar image for sonictrainer
#248 Posted by sonictrainer (15186 posts) -

I'm glad to see the topic is reopened.

I hope the Union Boards are bought over without any problems.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
#249 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

@michaelP4 said:

Re-opening the topic. I've received many PMs from users who feel closing it was an attempt to silence them. I can assure you, it was not. I did not close this topic nor know who did or see a reason why it was closed in the first place.

This issue still hasn't been dealt with and I will not allow it to be sweeped under the carpet until we have the promised union transfers to boards. I'm with you all the way on this guys - you gotta keep pressing the issue (in this topic - don't bother the mods or admins with it - they do read this board and are aware of this) until you get what you're owed.

Thank you and apologies this topic was closed in the first place - it shouldn't have been.

Thanks Michael. I've got PM's from people asking me about our union and I would hate to loose all the interesting and productive discussions we've had there over the years.

I would like Gamespot to keep their promise and commitment to retain all active unions and re-publish them in the new forum format ASAP, else retain them in some legacy format.

I'd also encourage anyone who would like unions to return to add their voice to this thread. Thanks!

Avatar image for MrStarkiller
#250 Posted by MrStarkiller (18853 posts) -

So here we are. Again. Good to see the original topic back (though it would be better to just have the unions returned in the promised sub-board form). No timetable. Business as usual.