"Your HTML is not well-formed - no valid tags were found"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Monkeyseat
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts
Ok, so I'm trying to post a simple blog post - no images, no tags or anything fancy, just plain text. However it keeps throwing this error at me and I'm not trying to use any HTML. I turned off the WYSIWYG editor because it was pushing words together which was really annoying, now it's just a box with plain formatting. Any ideas?
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
If there's absolutely no html in your post whatsoever perhaps that's what it's complaining about. Try using the (BR/) tag for line breaks instead of hitting the enter key, or enclosing paragraphs in the (P)(/P) tags and see if it's satisfied then.
Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Monkeyseat
Hi, (br) didn't work - (p) did to some extent but it only works if you put a (p) tag at the top of the blog and then it gives me a big gap at the top that I don't want...
Dj-Dark-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dj-Dark-1
Member since 2007 • 6377 Posts
It has to be br / >
Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Monkeyseat
That's what I did...
Dj-Dark-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dj-Dark-1
It works fine without the P tag at the top for me. Try taking a picture of the HTML code.
Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Monkeyseat
Not for me, don't know why. Just wondering how do I look at the HTML if I'm not using the WYSIWYG editor?
Dj-Dark-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dj-Dark-1

Errm im not sure. Also i think i know why this is happening well a bit. Does your post contain any in it.

That is what is causing it. Take out all them in your post if you have them and it will work fine.

Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Monkeyseat
Nope... Any more ideas? Thanks.
Dj-Dark-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dj-Dark-1
Got any spoiler tags, if so take them out then try it.
xtaz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xtaz85
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

I'm having the same problem when posting normal text messages with no spoilers, no images, just plain text. If this post makes it then I don't understand, I tried posting in the games section and the error occured every single time.

Strange, it worked.. Also at the games section..

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#12 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I'm having this problem with posting. I don't even use the editor either. I can't believe GameSpot's terrible html bugs and glitches have spread beyond the editor. It's a joke.
Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Monkeyseat
No I am not using any spoiler tags, code, HTML or anything... It's just plain text. Any more suggestions?
Dj-Dark-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dj-Dark-1
Are you using any bb code like [IMG] or [URL] ?
Ghelga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Ghelga
Member since 2004 • 4310 Posts
The bb code doesn't always work for some reason, I've often failed with it at times.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Another possible cause for this error seems to be what characters you use. I just attempted to post a message and got this error. I removed the three British Pound Sterling currency signs that were in the message (nothing else, just those I removed) and it worked.
Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Monkeyseat
Are you using any bb code like [IMG] or [URL] ?Dj-Dark-1
Like I've said, no code (or anything that code be perceived as code) is being used. It is just plain text.
Another possible cause for this error seems to be what characters you use. I just attempted to post a message and got this error. I removed the three British Pound Sterling currency signs that were in the message (nothing else, just those I removed) and it worked. EJ902
No pound signs or strange characters. I know they are busy but are there any support technicians around here?
Dj-Dark-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dj-Dark-1
Can you press the HTML button () and take a picture of the code then upload it. I might me able to see where you are going wrong then ?
Donkeljohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#19 Donkeljohn
Member since 2003 • 4087 Posts

Sometimes when you cut and paste text from Word or any other rich text source, it'll give you that error. I had a post the other day where I was trying to us accents on my vowels, but it wouldn't let me. My best suggestion right now (without knowing the details of your post) would be to paste your content into notepad (or some other text editor) and ensure it is in ASCII format.

Then, you can paste the ASCII in to the message entry field for upload. if the problem persists, let us know.

BraindeadRacr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 BraindeadRacr
Member since 2006 • 2676 Posts

Pasted into notepad. Has no tags into it whatsoever(like font/bold/italic/etc.), no BBcode(spoilers etc.) just plain text.

Errors:Your HTML is not well-formed - no valid tags were found.
Your HTML is not well-formed - no valid tags were found.

No, that's NOT a copy problem, I actually got it twice.

Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Monkeyseat
Can you press the HTML button () and take a picture of the code then upload it. I might me able to see where you are going wrong then ?Dj-Dark-1
Like I've already said; I'm using the WYSIWYG editor which doesn't have that option...

Sometimes when you cut and paste text from Word or any other rich text source, it'll give you that error. I had a post the other day where I was trying to us accents on my vowels, but it wouldn't let me. My best suggestion right now (without knowing the details of your post) would be to paste your content into notepad (or some other text editor) and ensure it is in ASCII format.

Then, you can paste the ASCII in to the message entry field for upload. if the problem persists, let us know.

Donkeljohn
I typed it all out in the text field to post the blog, didn't copy and paste anything. I already tried copying it from Notepad, still doesn't work. Thanks anyway. Anything else?
Kaunte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kaunte
Member since 2004 • 102 Posts
[QUOTE="Dj-Dark-1"]Can you press the HTML button () and take a picture of the code then upload it. I might me able to see where you are going wrong then ?Monkeyseat
Like I've already said; I'm using the WYSIWYG editor which doesn't have that option...

Donkeljohn

I typed it all out in the text field to post the blog, didn't copy and paste anything. I already tried copying it from Notepad, still doesn't work. Thanks anyway. Anything else?

I came on these board to find answers to a hardware related issue, and now that I´m here, the boards don´t work...

This is one great day.

Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Monkeyseat
I think I've fixed it now. In case anyone is still getting it, I had this in the blog I was trying to post. It seems GameSpot won't posts with this in (well at least when not using the WYSIWYG editor):  I was using it in a "shifty eyes" text emoticon lol. I forgot to take that out but when I did it worked after that as EJ902 similarly suggested (I thought it was something like this but I just missed the culprit due to the length of the post). Now, just to write about something that is no longer a month out of date... I don't need what I wrote now anyway, but glad I've solved it. Cheers guys.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
yea, im still getting that. It seems when i try and put images from photobucket in and when i try and use the British Pound sign.
martianrobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 martianrobot
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
Using the British Pound Sign does the same thing to me when I try to add it in a blog - I tried using the HTML code for it as detailed on the Wiki page but the editor converts it into the sign when I press submit and then spits out the same error again. Doh!
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

I'm having the same error come up when I try to post images. I wanted to post 3 images in one post, each with a title, but it comes up with "Your HTML is not well-formed - no valid tags were found"

If I try to post each image on its own in a separate post then they all work, but as soon as I try to post more than one in a post it comes up with the error. I've looked at the HTML and it appears to all be well formed.

To test I tried posting the whole HTML into a test thread on another forum board (not a Gamespot/gameFAQ forum) and the post worked correctly displaying all 3 images.

LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LadyShanoa
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

I'm trying to figure out why Spoiler tags won't work.