"Your HTML is not well formed"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Eragon_11
Member since 2004 • 5022 Posts

I, like many Im sure get this problem, however for the non-HTML savvy of us, correcting it can be a pain.

So, to help fix it, maybe, either;

1.Highlighting HTML/ BBCode tags in the html editor (Im thinking something like the 'View Source' option that firefox has with the tags colourized.)

2. Highlighting errors in the HTML which would help people both find the problem faster (It's a damn pain finding those mistakes!) and to put it right easier.

Just seems like a sensible thing to do to me. I imagine the first of my suggestions would be easier to put into action though; either way, it would help users.

Just my 2 cents.

mariomaniac92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mariomaniac92
Member since 2006 • 5482 Posts
So you don't even need help? Don't worry, man, stuff like this is covered in Welcome Newbies.
Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Eragon_11

So you don't even need help? Don't worry, man, stuff like this is covered in Welcome Newbies.mariomaniac92

Stuff like what? HTML? I know all the basics of it, it just takes a while to find the mistakes sometimes when you're looking at a block of text in the editor.

Colourizing tags would just help make them a little more noticeable 

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#4 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
yer we help sort out this stuff over in WN...having unclosed tags highlighted would certainly be handy tho...in the case of both html and BBCode..as i tend to find that even things like 'sizeable' inside the BBCode brackets ([]s) will cause such an error to appear, despite 'sizeable' not actually being a BBCode tag ('size' is tho, so it's understandable why it may consider it a tag)
Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eragon_11
yer we help sort out this stuff over in WN...having unclosed tags highlighted would certainly be handy tho...in the case of both html and BBCode..as i tend to find that even things like 'sizeable' inside the BBCode brackets ([]s) will cause such an error to appear, despite 'sizeable' not actually being a BBCode tag ('size' is tho, so it's understandable why it may consider it a tag)robbristow
I cant imagine it being all that difficult of a modification to make, but then again, I do not write websites! :P
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts
I've written some long journal entries, and been near going Hulk on my PC trying to get them posted. In fact, because of the overall unreliablity of posting, I've given up on writing anything long enough to actually be a contribution to the community. If I could at least know WHAT in my posts was causing trouble, I could fix it, but instead I just get a message that it didn't work. If the editor would tell me WHERE my problem is, it would be a great help.
indigoAK200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 indigoAK200
Member since 2004 • 235 Posts

This is off-topic, but my personal opinion is that HTML should be required in the core curriculum of the world's school systems.  HTML is as easy to learn as tying your shoes and it has multiple practical uses that would come in handy for just about everyone on the planet, especially now that the digital age is here to stay.  In addition, CSS and XHTML should be taught as electives.

:D