"Hot on GamesSpot...Cancer and Heart attacks!"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexfinbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alexfinbow
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
What the hell is this? http://gyazo.com/8b89ee41ce26c102fb8503693b999e70.png 5 signs you have cancer in your body 4 things you'll feel right before a heart attack Not really hitting your demographic there are you Games Spot.... or should that be Game Spot? Whoever this 3rd party ad agency are, they are doing an absolutely dreadful job. They can't even spell their client's name correctly, and displaying completely inappropriate content for the website. This only reinforces my use of Adblocker.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
they still pop up even though you have adblock, and i agree
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I agree, those ads that appear at the bottom of the page are rather puzzling, and they appear to go to websites that require a membership fee in order to access the advertised content.  I guess GS desperately needs the ad revenue.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
^Nintendo's LP Policy=GameSpot's unnecessary ad at the bottom page I hope that in the new site rebuild,this won't happen again for eternity
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Yeah those ads are really weird.

"20 of the hottest daughters in sports"

"next gen solution for shocking muscle gains"

"5 signs that warn you when cancer is starting in your body"

"20 hottest moms in sports"

As I recall, they only started appearing in the last few months, and they show up even if you have adblock. Are these sites connected to GS's parent site or something?

alexfinbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 alexfinbow
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. Facebook had a similar screw up when they used the image of a girl who had already committed suicide as their face for a dating agency advert. Complete automation causes bad PR Gamespot.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10507 Posts

i was just about to post a new topic about this when i saw this thread. 100% agree.

i did a google search regarding cancer for a close friend of the family a few weeks ago. since then my adverts are all cancer / death / health related which is really quite offensive. i don't want to see them, having lost family and friends to cancer in the past. i've tried to opt out of nRelate, removed all their cookies, cleared my browser history etc. but they're still there.

of all the things they could target me with via ads, why would they choose cancer and death? it's crazy. gamespot, this needs to be addressed

dark_surge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dark_surge
Member since 2002 • 628 Posts
If you have Firefox or Chrome you can use the Ghostery plugin. Not only does it get rid of those weird ads, but it also makes the abhorrent comments section disappear. ;) Two birds with one stone. I can't recommend it enough.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Macutchi  Online
Member since 2007 • 10507 Posts

If you have Firefox or Chrome you can use the Ghostery plugin. Not only does it get rid of those weird ads, but it also makes the abhorrent comments section disappear. ;) Two birds with one stone. I can't recommend it enough. dark_surge

i have ghostery installed but didn't even think to use it! problem solved! awesome shout my friend  :)

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
of all the things they could target me with via ads, why would they choose cancer and death? it's crazy. gamespot, this needs to be addressedMacutchi
It's a tactic to get hits. People are worried about cancer so an article about how to prevent it has a high chance of being clicked. The same can be said for ads about losing weight fast, increasing your intelligence, etc.

These ads probably do not even target individuals. If it did, it would not be targeting me with ads about preventing health issues or losing weight.
Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
I found this to be an obvious thing to be. Look at this

These links are a mix of internal, partner, and sponsored (paid) links

This is an excerpt from the "paid" advertising firm called nRelate.Seriously?!:x this is NOT how you fund-raise the website,use your own products,that's how it should have been since the last time I saw Top 5 Skyrim Mods of the Week