Problems when formatting messages/blogs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for pierst179
#1 Edited by pierst179 (10805 posts) -

I was trying to post a blog and format it, but I came across a couple of problems.

Since I assume the input system that is used for blogs is the same one that is used for reviews and forum posts, I believe those issues are present in all those scenarios.

Anyway, here's what I noticed:

1- If you post medium or small images, the text will always wrap around them. Even if on the text editor you break lines so that the text is below the image, when the message is posted the text will automatically go back to its default position and wrap the image. I am not sure if it is intentional or not, but I don't think it is very good.

2- Another problem, which I am not sure if is intentional or not, is the fact that if you go to the post's "Code" view and alter anything, the changes will not be saved, meaning that once you go back to the regular formatting view or commit the post, the content will go back to its default automatic formatting.

Anyway, those two issues are most likely related.

I am not sure if I have been the only one to encounter these problems.

Avatar image for s_h_a_d_o
#2 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1317 posts) -

@Pierst179 said:
Another problem, which I am not sure if is intentional or not, is the fact that if you go to the post's "Code" view and alter anything, the changes will not be saved, meaning that once you go back to the regular formatting view or commit the post, the content will go back to its default automatic formatting.

What is this "Code" view, of which you speak?

Avatar image for pierst179
#3 Posted by pierst179 (10805 posts) -
@s_h_a_d_o said:

@Pierst179 said:
Another problem, which I am not sure if is intentional or not, is the fact that if you go to the post's "Code" view and alter anything, the changes will not be saved, meaning that once you go back to the regular formatting view or commit the post, the content will go back to its default automatic formatting.

What is this "Code" view, of which you speak?

On the text input there is an upper and a lower bar. On the lower bar, right below the "Numbered List" icon, there is a "Code" button.

If you press it, you will be able to see your post's HTML. The old GS allowed you to edit your post's HTML if you wished to do so. I believe they intended that feature to be available on this new version as well, but it is not working since whatever updates are made to the HTML code are not maintained once the text is posted.

Avatar image for s_h_a_d_o
#4 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1317 posts) -

@Pierst179 said:
@s_h_a_d_o said:

@Pierst179 said:
Another problem, which I am not sure if is intentional or not, is the fact that if you go to the post's "Code" view and alter anything, the changes will not be saved, meaning that once you go back to the regular formatting view or commit the post, the content will go back to its default automatic formatting.

What is this "Code" view, of which you speak?

On the text input there is an upper and a lower bar. On the lower bar, right below the "Numbered List" icon, there is a "Code" button.

If you press it, you will be able to see your post's HTML. The old GS allowed you to edit your post's HTML if you wished to do so. I believe they intended that feature to be available on this new version as well, but it is not working since whatever updates are made to the HTML code are not maintained once the text is posted.

Not seeing it (and I've been yearning for pure HTML editing) - what browser are you using?

(OS: Kubuntu 12.04 - Browser: Firefox 24.0)

Avatar image for pierst179
#5 Posted by pierst179 (10805 posts) -
@s_h_a_d_o said:

Not seeing it (and I've been yearning for pure HTML editing) - what browser are you using?

(OS: Kubuntu 12.04 - Browser: Firefox 24.0)

OS: Ubuntu 10.04 - Browser: Firefox 20.0

On the upper bar (the one with Bold, Italic, Quote, Img, etc.), on its right corner, there should be a button that says either "Less" or "More".

If your lower bar is not showing, that button should be displaying "More". Click on it, and the lower bar with the "Code" option will show up.

Avatar image for s_h_a_d_o
#6 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1317 posts) -

@Pierst179 said:
@s_h_a_d_o said:

Not seeing it (and I've been yearning for pure HTML editing) - what browser are you using?

(OS: Kubuntu 12.04 - Browser: Firefox 24.0)

OS: Ubuntu 10.04 - Browser: Firefox 20.0

On the upper bar (the one with Bold, Italic, Quote, Img, etc.), on its right corner, there should be a button that says either "Less" or "More".

If your lower bar is not showing, that button should be displaying "More". Click on it, and the lower bar with the "Code" option will show up.

Nope...

Avatar image for pierst179
#7 Posted by pierst179 (10805 posts) -

That's weird. I don't have the "List" option, but I have the "Code" one. =P

Avatar image for s_h_a_d_o
#8 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1317 posts) -

@Pierst179 said:

That's weird. I don't have the "List" option, but I have the "Code" one. =P

Hence my original question.

I'll check later tonight on other OS/browser configs, and update this thread with results.

Avatar image for s_h_a_d_o
#9 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1317 posts) -

OS: Win7 - Browser: Firefox 24.0 - No "Code" (as before).

EDIT 1 - OS: Fedora 14 - Browser: Frirefox 3.6.24 - No "Code", nor legible text (I have no idea what I'm writing at present).

EDIT 2 - @Pierst179 - Maybe "Code" is a moderator privilege?

EDIT 3 - And the "Remove Format" appears to do sod all.

"List" on the other hand...

EDIT 4: ... does nothing either.

Avatar image for gmax
#10 Edited by gmax (6865 posts) -

I hadn't thought much about it - since, as mentioned, it isn't all that useful - but "Code" does appear to be a mod thing.

Personally, I would prefer the code-straight-into-html option we had of old, but on the upside I have found the Code thing helpful when the wysiwyg screws up.

As for the original question, I don't know about some of the layout choices, or the lack of layout options, but my experience with the Code thing does not seem to suggest that it was intended to be a doorway to anything that is in any way equivalent to the latitude we had with markup before. As I say, I've only found it useful to fix wysiwyg screw ups. Whether that is more or less all that was intended, I'm not sure.

Avatar image for pierst179
#11 Posted by pierst179 (10805 posts) -
@s_h_a_d_o said:
@Pierst179 - Maybe "Code" is a moderator privilege?

Yeah, I thought about that, but then you have "List" and I don't, which is weird and leaves me awfully confused!

@gmax said:

Personally, I would prefer the code-straight-into-html option we had of old, but on the upside I have found the Code thing helpful when the wysiwyg screws up.

Having the code option we had back on the old site would certainly be useful. I wonder if they intended it to be available on the new site and the fact some people don't see it and that it doesn't work for those who do see it is a bug.

Avatar image for s_h_a_d_o
#12 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1317 posts) -

@Pierst179:

@Pierst179 said:

@gmax said:

Personally, I would prefer the code-straight-into-html option we had of old, but on the upside I have found the Code thing helpful when the wysiwyg screws up.

Having the code option we had back on the old site would certainly be useful...

This. So very much!

Avatar image for Ne-Plus-Ultra
#13 Posted by Ne-Plus-Ultra (281 posts) -

@s_h_a_d_o:

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@Pierst179:

@Pierst179 said:
@gmax said:

Personally, I would prefer the code-straight-into-html option we had of old, but on the upside I have found the Code thing helpful when the wysiwyg screws up.

Having the code option we had back on the old site would certainly be useful...

This. So very much!

Just putting in my two cents, I miss the code option so much!!! In fact I don't post as much because it's gone.

Avatar image for pierst179
#14 Posted by pierst179 (10805 posts) -

Just another formatting problem I would like to report.

I was formatting a review and even if I chose the option for the image to show up as "Small" it would only appear as a large image.

I tried inserting the image a number of times, and it always showed up as large. However, when I tried inserting it into a regular forum post, as opposed to a review, the size option worked perfectly.