Posting Blog related content in the forums

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JodyR (16418 posts) -

A staff member recently asked why we don't allow users to post about their blogs, or blog style forum posts. I told him that it was the norm on GameSpot. How many times have you seen someone post about their blog or post something that wasn't a "discussion" and other users tell him or her to "blog about it".

This is something that I've only seen happen on GameSpot so I wanted to get your thoughts about the idea of us allowing people to post about their blogs or simply post clips or blog related content in the forums.

Please take a moment to vote in the poll and share why you want to see blog content in the forums or why you want it to remain how it always has been on the site.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by CrimsonBrute (24972 posts) -
Keep blogs where they belong.
#3 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

I don't mind things being where they are in terms of blog type threads being against the rules, but allowing for exceptions. Some threads that could be closed for being blog type material, are also threads that could produce great discussion. Other blog type threads not so much, they merely serve as a means of barfing a thought out in front of the public with no real room for discussion.

#4 Posted by nutcrackr (13029 posts) -

I think it would be better if you created a separate / sticky thread for it. Let people post about their blog inside, link to it and sell themselves. People who want to read blogs (and read each others) can have it all in the one place and talk about it even. Others who have no interest in blogs won't need to read it and it won't be allowed anywhere else. I think a separate forum could be on the cards depending on how much interest people show in the thread.

#5 Posted by c_rakestraw (14870 posts) -

I don't mind things being where they are in terms of blog type threads being against the rules, but allowing for exceptions. Some threads that could be closed for being blog type material, are also threads that could produce great discussion. Other blog type threads not so much, they merely serve as a means of barfing a thought out in front of the public with no real room for discussion.rragnaar

Pretty much this.

#6 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15260 posts) -

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I don't mind things being where they are in terms of blog type threads being against the rules, but allowing for exceptions. Some threads that could be closed for being blog type material, are also threads that could produce great discussion. Other blog type threads not so much, they merely serve as a means of barfing a thought out in front of the public with no real room for discussion.c_rake

Pretty much this.

I agree. Sadly, there is no shortage of the second example on certain boards.
#7 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
I actually take a different view on this matter, after initially sharing the view of the mods then ended up developing it: To start with: at least by keeping the rule as "No blogs", it's a pretty simple and clear rule to follow. Allowing blogs that can produce discussion then clouds this rule - how is that defined? By who? The blogger, the mod or the community? If your response to this is by allowing blog discussion completely, then you could have a rise of rant type threads. But then when I think about it - it's up to the community to select what type of threads they wish to reply to, is it not? So if a thread isn't discussable, then it won't be discussed - if it is, then it will be discussed. Therefore, there's no real need for mods to really intervene here - the thread rragnaar showed us was pointless - but I see plenty of those types of threads on OT and even on GF game specific boards and they actually turn into discussions from as little as barely a topic title. Have a look around the GF game specific boards yourself and you'll see tonnes of examples where threads like rragnaar shows us are posted quite frequently. The GF mods don't do anything about it and they manage to turn out to be great discussions at the end of it. Essentially, you could argue the current rule enables mods to pre-judge topics, which when I think about it, isn't actually fair to the TC or other users on the board. Why should mods determine what ToU abiding topics can be discussed and what ones cannot? They cannot see the end result. So I'd be open to GS removing this rule. Whatever you do though: do not have a half way rule. It's either you allow blog discussions or you don't (both easy rules to follow) - complicating the matter will only make life harder for users and mods to interpret the rules. EDIT: btw, just to be clear: I support the status quo, but I'm open to the rule changing as well. I don't mind either way. There should be a third option in the poll! :P
#8 Posted by solidruss (24076 posts) -

I think it's fair to say that "blog" worthy topics are just that, for blogs. If a topic merits conversation, it doesn't have to be in a blog.

Example:

I just had the best breakfast in a long time :D

Blog

Example:

Hey guys gals! I just had a really great breakfast! I had steak and eggs, scrambled, yum! What are some of your fav foods to eat at breakfast?

Worth topic (overdone but worthy)

I would like to note this pertains to Off Topic, I'll leave the other boards to others :P

Just my 2 cents

#9 Posted by Gelugon_baat (23328 posts) -

I have two words: restrict plugging.

#10 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

I'm not sure about the rest of GS, but its a terrible idea in SW. It would just give trolls an excuse to post ANYTHING.

#11 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

I'm not sure about the rest of GS, but its a terrible idea in SW. It would just give trolls an excuse to post ANYTHING.

Jonwh18
As if they don't already do that on a regular basis. I say keep it where it is now: If the blog can promote discussion, leave it open. If not, lock it.
#12 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

Since we have a special place where we can post our blog entries, allowing blogs in the forums defeats the purpose. Not only that, but allowing blog related content in the forums will attract more forum abuses (useless threads with no discussion). I say no to posting blog related content in the forums.

#13 Posted by R4gn4r0k (26841 posts) -

Jonwh18

You mean like the situation is now ?

I'm for allowing blogs. Threads that don't offer any discussion whatsoever should still be close though, as is the case now.

#14 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

i think the blog rules should remain as they are. blogs are there for a reason and people can draw attention to them through their sigs if they want to get them noticed. if the blog can generate discussion, though, then it isn't strictly a blog and could be a legitimate discussion topic anyway.

#15 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Blog it [spoiler] jk :P Yeah allow everything go wild! [/spoiler]
#16 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -

i think the blog rules should remain as they are. blogs are there for a reason and people can draw attention to them through their sigs if they want to get them noticed. if the blog can generate discussion, though, then it isn't strictly a blog and could be a legitimate discussion topic anyway.

CaseyWegner
100% this.
#17 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Sure, but have restrictions on WHAT kind of blogs. Some blog related content can be used for interesting and in depth disscussions over the topic at hand. Others, well, not so much. If it's something as rragnaar said for good thread discussion then by all means let them post; if it's something like the other one...then perhaps lock it.

#18 Posted by Jynxzor (9313 posts) -
As long as people can form a discussion around it I think it should be a fair post. If it's a lopsided opinion with no room for discussion...then no. Can't really vote "Yes or No" on this.
#19 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

CaseyWegner

Well put.

#20 Posted by JustPlainLucas (77692 posts) -

Ask yourself this very simple question. If GameSpot now allows you to call someone a f ucking idiot, why the HELL should someone posting their blog in the forum be a problem! Seriously, too long; didn't read? Then DON'T READ! More blog (read posts longer than a few paragraphs) posts might even encourage a higher level of intellectual discussion.

#21 Posted by JustPlainLucas (77692 posts) -

CaseyWegner
Well, here's my counter to that. How many people actually click on blog posts via a user's sig? Some posters even turn sigs off. Also, some new posters make some really good blog posts, but they never get read because no one knows who they are. Blog posts are really benign. If no one wants to read or discuss them, they'll fall off the page. The interesting ones will stay active. It solves itself.
#22 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
Excellent points, Lucas.
#23 Posted by Heil68 (57686 posts) -
I dont mind if they post what could be considered as "blog" material. I really dont see it being detrimental to SW's.
#24 Posted by Gelugon_baat (23328 posts) -

Ask yourself this very simple question. If GameSpot now allows you to call someone a f ucking idiot, why the HELL should someone posting their blog in the forum be a problem! JustPlainLucas

I don't see the relevance of this comparison. Plugging blogs where plugs are not asked for is not the same as flaming.

Also, I would repeat what I have said earlier: no plugging - unless asked, I would add.

#25 Posted by Gelugon_baat (23328 posts) -

Well, here's my counter to that. How many people actually click on blog posts via a user's sig? Some posters even turn sigs off. Also, some new posters make some really good blog posts, but they never get read because no one knows who they are. Blog posts are really benign. If no one wants to read or discuss them, they'll fall off the page. The interesting ones will stay active. It solves itself. JustPlainLucas

You should know that while some people consider someone else's blog post to be great and are grateful for the plug, some others consider it a piece of sh*t that is not worth plugging.

Self-policing does not work when the matter is a difference of opinions. The way I see it, a blanket ban for blog-plugging - whether the blog entry is "good" or "bad" - keeps the forums simpler and neater.

#26 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
Hehe, that's the first time I've seen the word "plugging" being used that way - is that a new thing, hehe? :P Anyway yeah, I agree with the principle of what you're saying: whatever GS does, keep it simple. Even then, what Lucas said isn't entirely true - you can't actually flame someone in that manner, as that would be breaking the respective board rules where they apply of being "respectful to others" if the flamed reports the flamer. See the board rules on OT for example for an explanation of that, which has been largely misunderstood - and quite rightly so, as the rules where definitely not clear on that but clarification has now been given on what "respectful to others" now means.