Option to make Post History private

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 WeaponXY
Member since 2009 • 1280 Posts

I think this would be extremely useful to people to be able to make your Post History private, or at least have the option to. GameSpot could really use some better levels of Privacy for people's profiles and posts, and this is an enhancement that I think we could really use. :)

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I agree...why should others be able to view your post history..it doesn't really serve much purpose..

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Good idea :) I agree to make option for making post history private :)

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
If you make your Profile private then your posting history is private as well. Although if you are suggesting that you have your profile open to everyone but your contributions such as posting history set as private then I can support that idea, although most users that want their posts private probably would want their entire profile set as private. But I'm also in support of more versatility with our options here. :)
WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WeaponXY
If you make your Profile private then your posting history is private as well. Although if you are suggesting that you have your profile open to everyone but your contributions such as posting history set as private then I can support that idea, although most users that want their posts private probably would want their entire profile set as private. But I'm also in support of more versatility with our options here. :)double_decker
Yeah I just mean making Post History private, not the whole entire Profile. ;)
ollie_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ollie_l
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
very good idea
Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts
Sounds like a really good idea, I'm sure some people would welcome the option,without having to set their whole profile to private :) I'd support it :)
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GreggD
Member since 2004 • 6710 Posts

I'd like to throw in my support for this.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
I prefer having my whole profile private to keep out all the random trackers, but I'd support it for those that would use it:P
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts

The idea isn`t bad, but ...if you don`t post your private pictures why bother with privacy protection, I personaly don`t have anything to hide, i don`t post private pictures of me naked (i have Facebook for that matter:P ) plus I really don`t care about what other people think about my comments ...but i support those who want better privacy level on GS.

Abgoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Abgoj
Member since 2005 • 12168 Posts

I think it should definitely be an option, so i'm 100% in favour of this.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

I think it should definitely be an option, so i'm 100% in favour of this.

Abgoj

It would be a good idea for an option for it, I agree.

DaCool2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaCool2008
Member since 2008 • 1633 Posts
sound cool im in favour
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I would like to support this idea as well.
I think it would be a good move to leave it up to the member to display the stuff they want to display without having to make the entire profile private.
canana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 canana
Member since 2006 • 14796 Posts

Do you mean like private blogs? Thumbs up!

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 double_decker

canana
Private blogs we can already have by setting our profiles to private Mr. Canana, the enhancement suggested here is for just the Posting History part of our profiles being able to be set as Private well the rest of our profile and contributions are left open to others.
wonzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 wonzan
Member since 2008 • 1126 Posts

I agree. This is a good idea. I fully back it.

DR-ZMBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 DR-ZMBK
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

I don't see why post history should be private, its a website and is about community.

mayankahuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 mayankahuja
Member since 2007 • 311 Posts

I totally agree with you

kasiabartek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kasiabartek
Member since 2007 • 261 Posts

I agree.

Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Faller88
Member since 2006 • 7277 Posts

I dont really mind it myself, but I would definitely support to have the option.

wonzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 wonzan
Member since 2008 • 1126 Posts

I don't see why post history should be private, its a website and is about community.

DR-ZMBK

As someone mentioned before, a lot of young people use this site. Having a posting history allow the minority of weirdos to stalk people online (go to the same boards, post inthe same topics etc). Not only this but abrasive people can also just stalk someone and purposefully mess up their topics with alts etc etc. I am not saying make post history private, I am saying at least give us the option to do so.

canana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 canana
Member since 2006 • 14796 Posts

[QUOTE="canana"]

double_decker

Private blogs we can already have by setting our profiles to private Mr. Canana, the enhancement suggested here is for just the Posting History part of our profiles being able to be set as Private well the rest of our profile and contributions are left open to others.

That's exactly what I meant. An ability to set our posting history to private like we have in blogs. Anyway, I like the idea because it could prevent some unwanted viewers.

GunnyHath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 GunnyHath
Member since 2007 • 743 Posts

It's purely negligent to not have this feature enabled, which most other forums do, for good reason.

Sheena321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sheena321
Member since 2006 • 7489 Posts

It's purely negligent to not have this feature enabled, which most other forums do, for good reason.

GunnyHath
I totally agree, I'm surprised the option is not already available on this site, many young children, and girls use this site , and I'm sure that they,and others too would really welcome this option. it would be nice to have GS staff opinion on this :)
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 double_decker

That's exactly what I meant. An ability to set our posting history to private like we have in blogs. Anyway, I like the idea because it could prevent some unwanted viewers.

canana
Yeah, I've had some users in the past use my history to follow me around from board to board before, now they can use the feed as well if they are tracking me. :lol: But I've never minded too much, but I can see where some users might want to be able to stop users from being able to do that.
Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts
Well I think it alway great to have more option so I'm up for this, being able to turn it on and off when you feel like would be sweet, also great idea WeaponXY :D.
AnelZukic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 AnelZukic
Member since 2008 • 3793 Posts

although I wouldn't use that option I do see a reason to support this, especially when somebody just creates an account (I even searched it when I created this acc 2 years ago), or when you don't one someone too follow you everywhere :)

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
If you make your Profile private then your posting history is private as well. Although if you are suggesting that you have your profile open to everyone but your contributions such as posting history set as private then I can support that idea, although most users that want their posts private probably would want their entire profile set as private. But I'm also in support of more versatility with our options here. :)double_decker
I'm sure there are many users (like me) that don't mind users being able to view their profile and their blog and things but don't want others to be able to view their post history. To be honest, I was actually rather suprised when I found out that I could view other users' post histories.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 double_decker
To be honest, I was actually rather suprised when I found out that I could view other users' post histories.fabz_95
Yeah, although if their profile is set to private then you can't, even by editing the contributions link it still doesn't show up, but of course they have to have their entire profile set to private in order to do so.
Shmoe82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#33 Shmoe82
Member since 2003 • 672 Posts
I can see why you guys would like to have it private but personally I like being able to read other peoples past history post to see if they are contradicting themselves. I think we should all take a vote on gamespot to either have it set to private or not.
WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WeaponXY
I can see why you guys would like to have it private but personally I like being able to read other peoples past history post to see if they are contradicting themselves. I think we should all take a vote on gamespot to either have it set to private or not.Shmoe82
That would actually be a good reason to make your Post History private. :P
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
This would have been useful for me in the past. I think its a good idea. People can already edit their posts, so you can't really say that keeping someone's posting history makes them more accountable.
WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WeaponXY

Any chance for a GameSpot Staff response on this? :)

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NarutoFever1
Member since 2008 • 19322 Posts

I support this idea.

Avatar image for moonlightcharm6
moonlightcharm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 moonlightcharm6
Member since 2009 • 1581 Posts
private history:D
Avatar image for deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
deactivated-6016e81e8e30f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6016e81e8e30f
Member since 2009 • 12955 Posts
While I am in support of this idea, it can easily be sidestepped by someone just using the search forums function and typing your name in. It'll only bring up posts of yours that were quoted, but that still allows someone access to a lot of your posts.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I prefer having my whole profile private to keep out all the random trackers:P Darth-Caedus

My feelings exactly. I used to like having my Profile open to everyone, but a random tracker (with a black hole for a Profile) ruined this for me.

Now only my friends can see my Profile.

Frankly, I believe Dracula and Jody should be open to the idea of eliminating the people we don't want in our Friends List. I mention this because there are people that won't answer your repeated PMs and keep on tracking you (even when you don't track back).:?

Easy thing to do, since I have seen posts where they took banned members out of people's Friends List.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

Frankly, I believe Dracula and Jody should be open to the idea of eliminating the people we don't want in our Friends List.

topsemag55
You don't have to anybody on your friends list that you don't want. :?
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

Frankly, I believe Dracula and Jody should be open to the idea of eliminating the people we don't want in our Friends List.

Caddy06_88

You don't have to anybody on your friends list that you don't want. :?

Wrong. A person can still track you without you tracking back (Friends - People tracking me).:?

Those are the ones I want eliminated.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

Wrong. A person can still track you without you tracking back (Friends - People tracking me).:?

topsemag55
People tracking you are not your friends. I have lots of people tracking me, but only a few friends.
gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts
ageed. good idea
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#45 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

you can set your profile to private it you don't want to have anything do to with the rest of us.

what is the big fuss?

WeaponXY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WeaponXY

you can set your profile to private it you don't want to have anything do to with the rest of us.

what is the big fuss?

iowastate
It's having your Post History private that is important to a lot of people. Some users have said they've been harassed because people have gone into their Post History's and replied to all their posts in threads. In my opinion, it shouldn't just stop with Post History. GameSpot is pretty terrible with privacy levels, and I think we should have more control over what people can and can't see like Facebook does with each little aspect of your profile. We only have a couple of options for Privacy right now, and I think that's just pretty ridiculous.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#47 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

again I fail to see the problem here.

anyone can make a post, however there is no rule that allows you to limit who is allowed to make a reply to your post and I do thin think there should be.

Too many limitations on speech as it is

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I support this idea. I know what it's like to be harassed on GameFAQs (despite not having the ability to see other users' posts), and I think it's a great idea. This way users can't follow you from post to post and replying to you randomly.
BadassZetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BadassZetta
Member since 2009 • 557 Posts
Setting your profile to private doesn't actually hide your posting history. Mods: Look at this post's edit history. You'll probably have to log out to see what I'm getting at.
Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

Caddy06_88
People tracking you are not your friends. I have lots of people tracking me, but only a few friends.

Basically what he's meaning Cad, is that we should be allowed to stop those who are tracking our profiles. Even if you don't track back and become friends, you still have that user tracking you; and some people might not what that user to track their contributions.