angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

Something's wrong with the comments in the news articles! When I try to click on the "View Comments (23)" box in one news article, it instead leads me to another news article and the comments below have vanished due to a bug! When will the issue be fixed?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/female-empowerment-was-the-big-theme-of-the-golden/1100-6455947/

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

@angeldeb82 said:

Something's wrong with the comments in the news articles! When I try to click on the "View Comments (23)" box in one news article, it instead leads me to another news article and the comments below have vanished due to a bug! When will the issue be fixed?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/female-empowerment-was-the-big-theme-of-the-golden/1100-6455947/

Such a coincidence that the comment bugs seem to only happen on the feminist themed articles!

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

Now it seems that the comment bugs are in another news article too.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-organizer-rips-trump-for-his-reported-shthole-c/1100-6456108/

capocrimeboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 capocrimeboss
Member since 2014 • 340 Posts

It's happening to me as well. Maybe we're deemed "risky commenters" and are blocked from commenting on such articles? Because I was ready to go on the Trump article and say "but those countries ARE shitholes!". Which they are.

straightcur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 straightcur
Member since 2013 • 1521 Posts

@capocrimeboss: LOL yup. Pretty sure it;s censorship. Trumps comment may have been offensive, but he wasnt wrong. I'll take an honest opinion over political "correctness" any day

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

From what I can tell the only bug (and a relatively harmless one at that) is that the div with class "well article-comments has-pad--max js-load-comments-container hide" is not removing the hide tag at the end of the class when the article comments section is locked (it should be bringing up the little box that tells you that it is locked when you click the view comments button - in much the same way as it brings up the comments as expected when it isn't locked via this same tag being removed from the div class) - locking of comments is normally done by staff when the article comments have gotten out of control and it's not longer considered worthwhile to keep the comments open on the article, in some cases this may be within a few hours after the article is made live on the site if the user response is particularly unsuitable, but the comments are normally open for a least a brief while to allow users to discuss the article - if some particularly bad ones ruin it for others early on then so be it. They may also be closed or even re-opened for other reasons such as whether or not anyone is available to keep an eye on articles likely to have especially volatile/inappropriate comments but it's a staff decision regardless.

I couldn't say what exactly caused these particular articles to be locked as I don't believe even moderators can view the comments in context within the article once it is closed.