Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I understand that not everything that gets you to click on an article is necessarily "clickbait" and that the site needs the metrics of understanding which articles are most interesting to the readers, but it seems like some of the article titles are deliberately misleading for the sake of getting clicks.

Example:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-patch-out-now-heres-what-/1100-6449299/

Title:

Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Patch Out Now, Here's What It Does

Then the article content:

"The previous update improved frame rate in some areas, though it's unclear what exactly this newest patch does. We'll report back with more details as they're made available."

That seems deliberately misleading for the sake of getting clicks, seeing as how the promised content isn't actually in the article.

-Byshop

andrebetoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By andrebetoche
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts

I was about to post the exact same thing. This is now beyond the level of pathetic. This is very, VERY insulting actually. Even IGN doesn't use such outrageously deceptive titles.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Ye, not a fan of this on the front-page. They post "X patched", but it's not really to inform you in any meaningful way, it's just to milk a current game for all it's worth, multiple articles are duplicated and many are basically just frivolous articles that sound like cheap car-salesmen. For the legitimately good stuff with clear effort that does crop up, it's buried under this naff.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56089 Posts

@Byshop: Well in the other thread here in Bug Reporting & Feedback, we had a discussion about Eddie Makuch's misleading titles and this is one of them. Look I get that not everyone is perfect okay, I know Eddie is a nice person but he needs to do better (well he still hasn't learn his lesson) but this is just wishful thinking.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

@davillain- said:

@Byshop: Well in the other thread here in Bug Reporting & Feedback, we had a discussion about Eddie Makuch's misleading titles and this is one of them. Look I get that not everyone is perfect okay, I know Eddie is a nice person but he needs to do better (well he still hasn't learn his lesson) but this is just wishful thinking.

I don't presume to know the inner working of GS editorial process to say who's responsible for what. Regardless of who might have written the article, they might not have been responsible for the headline, and it would stand to reason that at least one other set of eyes had reviewed it before it got published. Regardless, at the end of the day GS isn't our website and all we can do is provide feedback. It's not our place to assign blame, only to let GS know what we do and don't like as constructive feedback and hope they consider it when creating future content.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-220-system-update-out-now/1100-6449411/

Nintendo Switch 2.2.0 System Update Out Now

"General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience" are included with the update.

From the article:

"It is not immediately clear what this update does specifically. If you've noticed anything different or improved, let us know in the comments below."

Not quite as bad as the previous example but still in the same ballpark. At the very least it's burying the lead of "we don't actually know what it does". Surely you can understand how this might be frustrating for your readers.

-Byshop

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

The same foolish author has this headline "All The EA/Origin Access Free Games". The games are not anymore free than movies available through Netflix service. Why is this terrible author allowed to continue writing on this site is beyond me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@Pedro said:

The same foolish author has this headline "All The EA/Origin Access Free Games". The games are not anymore free than movies available through Netflix service.

Good point.