Member Reviews as official GameSpot Review? o_O Seriously?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I tried to find a Review for the pretty old game "The Dig" and whilst it's great to HAVE user reviews around here for these kind of things, do you really think it's a good idea to feature them as some kind of official review?

Unrelated: With black background on the site the topic title that I type in is Grey on Black, pretty bad choice of colors.

And where the eff is the button to post this? o_O By the time you read this I'm sure I've found it, but wow, what a messy design o_O

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

That review is the actual official GS review,it says member because most likely he hasn´t been with the site for a long time and his profile is updated as such(new site),or it was one of those reviewers that didn´t had an actual site profile,that was pretty common on GS quite a few years ago.

The review itself is even listed on gamerankings.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#3 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

GameSpot sometimes post reviews from freelancers. It's most often done for more obscure games or games that don't have a huge following.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

It's most often done for more obscure games or games that don't have a huge following.

Hmmm... not sure I agree with that conclusion. Seems to me it's more likely due to human resource constraints. Too busy making self-indulgent, spoiler videos, perhaps? :|

Speaking of spoilers, that's a reason to prefer non-staff reviews - it seems many from the current line-up cannot write a comprehensive overview without resorting to the revelation of important narrative details.

On the flip side, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that certain publishers demand that specific games be reviewed by "official" staff members.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

@Arach666 said:

That review is the actual official GS review,it says member because most likely he hasn´t been with the site for a long time and his profile is updated as such(new site),or it was one of those reviewers that didn´t had an actual site profile,that was pretty common on GS quite a few years ago.

The review itself is even listed on gamerankings.

Oh well, ok...jeez what a chaos and mess....hope they iron out the new GameSpot soon, but as it is right now I reeeeally miss the old GS :/