Is the Gamespot website too slow?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Does anyone else think the Gamespot.com website is too slow? I think there is too many flash animations or pictures/videos going on in the main page. It seems cluttered and it is really slow when you are scrolling. I am on a Quad Core and FireFox is updated for Windows Vista 32 bit.

Is my OS the bottleneck here? Please post your response if you are on Windows XP, 7, or 8. I much preferred HTML but can understand the old code was updated with flash and newer codes like CSS or whatever the heck they use now.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I'm on Firefox, Win7, and the site performance is just fine. Try disabling all your browser add-ons, removing cookies, etc.. and see if that's what's causing it. I doubt the OS can slow it down..

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

do other sites load slowly as well, or just gamespot ?

Gamespot works fine on my home PC which is a beast, but it also works on work PC which are old dual core machines with 2gb of ram running XP.

I use Google Chrome as my browser, could try that I've always found its by far the fastest browser at loading content.

arno_schaefer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By arno_schaefer
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts

@Realmjumper: I agree, I find it excruciating - so much so that I rarely visit Gamespot anymore. This certainly has been discussed ad nauseam before, but the whole mess started with the redesign a few months or a year ago. Since then, Gamespot has been riddled with bugs (and still is to this day, although the most egregious bugs are getting SLOOOWLY resolved). The usability is questionable, to say the least, and the performance is painful. This certainly has been the most seriously botched website relaunch I have seen in a long time. I have no evidence, but I would be quite surprised if they did NOT take a serious hit in visitors and ad revenue after this. Makes you wonder if the recent layoffs were not at least partly caused by this.