If No Union Redesign is Done at Least Allow People to Subscribe to Union Updates

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Sentinelrv
Member since 2002 • 23386 Posts

If nothing out of my now outdated Unions: Version 2 thread is used, at least do this one thing, probably the most important feature unions could have right now, and in my opinion, one of the easiest features to implement. Allow people the option to receive updates from the unions they've joined. Here is a concept image...

I'm not sure how GameSpot would handle this. They could either include the union updates under the game updates section, or as I show in the concept image above, they could keep union updates separate from game updates. This is something Facebook utilizes. Anything you "Like" will allow you to receive updates from it. This same feature needs to be used for unions so that members can be kept updated on all union news. Allow them the ability to opt out also, just as Facebook does. The benefit for members is so that they can be kept updated of union news. The benefit for union leaders is so that we have a way of keeping in contact with our member base other than using the union telegram system.

I've recently reactivated The HeadCrab Union only to find out that the main communication line with my members "The Telegram" has been cut off from me. I have over 5,000 members, and I'm guessing because of this high number the telegram system fails to send the message to all my members. Instead, the message gets sent to about half the members before a white error screen pops up canceling the remaining telegrams that still need to be sent out. This is completely unacceptable. I as a leader should have some way to communicate with my members. Besides fixing the telegram system, this is the next obvious step to establish better communication between a union and its members.

The main reason for this upgrade though is to increase union activity. Most unions are now dead as I predicted would happpen and GameSpot has only made a bad situation worse by removing even the little advertising they used to have. They've tucked unions away somewhere on GameSpot where even I don't know how to find them if I was looking for them. I'm not making that up either. I've just come back to GameSpot, so I'm sure I'll find a link to them somewhere if I keep looking, but it shouldn't be this hard for people to find them in the first place. No wonder they're inactive. This feature would provide a constant connection between unions and their existing members, maybe even helping to turn some people who joined a union and never came back into regular members. It would be up to GameSpot however to spread advertising for unions on this site so that we could bring in new members. For now though, give us the ability to remain in contact with our existing members.

Because my union enhancements thread was created almost five years ago with absolutely no changes made to date, I and other union leaders in the GameSpot community have very little faith that this upgrade will take place. Carrying this out would do a great service to instill confidence in GameSpot's ability to care for its union community. Giving a response to this suggestion would also help, so that we have an idea of GameSpot's opinion on this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
deactivated-6016f3a1e8420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-6016f3a1e8420
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts

I've recently reactivated The HeadCrab Union only to find out that the main communication line with my members "The Telegram" has been cut off from me. I have over 5,000 members, and I'm guessing because of this high number the telegram system fails to send the message to all my members. Instead, the message gets sent to about half the members before a white error screen pops up canceling the remaining telegrams that still need to be sent out. This is completely unacceptable. I as a leader should have some way to communicate with my members. Besides fixing the telegram system, this is the next obvious step to establish better communication between a union and its members.

Sentinelrv

This has been going on for over a year so don't expect a change.

bak1234567890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bak1234567890
Member since 2007 • 73484 Posts
Union updates would be an excellent replacement for telegrams, especially since those are a mess in big unions. I doubt GameSpot will do any change at this time... but I will always give full support to these ideas, really hope it is done.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I'd like that, I'd much rather have union updates showing my telegrams rather than them filling my inbox.
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 uas-2001
Member since 2005 • 18781 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me, especially since most people ignore union home pages.
parthohaque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 parthohaque
Member since 2004 • 6791 Posts
would be a useful addition for the big unions. But knowing GS....
kerk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 kerk12
Member since 2010 • 1580 Posts
Man, I would love that addition. I support it.
Giratina617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Giratina617
Member since 2009 • 4222 Posts
I honestly believe Gamespot doesnt really care for unions, at least not the really big tech people. I dont really expect to see many updates, if any. But We can all hope right?
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Here's to wishing into the wind that a community based gaming website actually does something COMMUNITY based rather than the Nth reskin of their website in 5 years. Its damn pathetic.