This topic is locked from further discussion.

PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
Howdy! I am having a lot of trouble posting a blog post due to HTML issues. I have had issues like this for a while when posting more lengthy blogs but for those I used one of Gamespots sister site to publish it (TV.com, MP3.com etc. ). But this time even that is not working and I'm getting the same errors. The only HTML I'm using in the blog I'm trying to post are IMG tags and those work correctely in the preview. I've double checked my document several times and nothing I can see that would cause an HTML error. Also, is it possible that your computer could cause HTML errors on the site? In some areas it seems that some people can post things I can't. Thanks in advance. :)
rymich13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rymich13
Member since 2006 • 403 Posts

Hello, yes computers can cause HTML errors on websites. Have you tried different internet browsers and different settings with your browsers? Also you may be experiencing script errors, Script errors are aresult of your computer's failure to understand or utilize the application or website trying to be interacted with. Meaning the page may not have fully loaded. You may be getting an error in the status bar that the page has not fully loaded. Script errors occur in two different ways. There could be a problem with the source code of the page or application, or there could be anproblem with your operating system or its settings. Older computers tend tohave more script errors than newer ones because the websites they are visiting are more advanced than the ones that existed when the computers were made. Try seeing if your Active X or Java settings are on the up and up. I have had problems with computers where the graphics cards are not right. You may even have spyware or malware or a virus even. It might even be a firewall. If none of these things are your problem then tell me and I will help you further. You may even ask how know all this stuff. I have a masters degree in information technology in web programming and networking. Hope this helps.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Just to rule out the most common issue - I am assuming you are not using the wysiwyg editor. It's full of bugs. I often recommend using the plain editor instead. Beyond that, I'll suggest something simple. Try posting only the img tags, with maybe just a single sentence to have some actual text with it. If that works, then try posting the entire blog you had planned, but only the text - no img tags. This should give an indication of whether the problem is the img tags or the text of the message (or both at the same time, if the issue only occurs when they are combined as you described). If the img tags fail by themselves, perhaps you can post the links to the images in this thread as plain text (that is, not in img tags). That way others can inspect them for anything suspicious, and even try composing a test blog to see if the error can be reproduced elsewhere. If the full text fails by itself, try smaller pieces of it to see if it makes a difference. It may help to know your OS, browser, and whether or not the error is exactly the same each time for exactly the same input message. Screen shots might also be helpful at some point. Maybe that will get the ball rolling.
PJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PJ24
Member since 2005 • 3816 Posts
Thank you both for replying :) If I'm completely honest I don't understand all of the advice but I'll try and elaborate on the issue. Since my first post I have tried to post the blog both in Firefox and Internet Explorer, no luck on either. I've also tried to post it on my dads laptop and once again no result. My computer is quite old though (going on 9 years) and I've have had virus problems in the past. I'll try and get some screen shots later. :) [EDIT] It posted! Apparentely copying and pasting from a word document cuase the HTML error. it was fine when I typed in the by hand. Thanks again the both of you for your help :)
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Interesting. That method of composing the message may have introduced some special characters. Last time I checked, "bare" special characters trigger the html error. Did you by any chance try to use accented characters when you composed your message in Word? In any case, all's well that ends well.