HTML bug - unclosed tags? They are closed!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
When I try to make an image a link using HTML (along with scaling it down), I get an error saying that the HTML has unclosed tags, but, uh, all the tags are closed and resending the post makes it send without problems. Because I can't post actual HTML here, I have to trade the less than and greater than symbols with the ( and the ) respectively in order to explain:

(a href="http://www.ulillillia.us/images/FlightSimulatorX002.jpg" target="_blank")(img src="http://www.ulillillia.us/images/FlightSimulatorX002.jpg" border="0" width="384" height="288")(/a)

With this, I get an error saying that my HTML has unclosed tags and there are no unclosed tags. When I click the "submit" button, and after the page loads, the error shows up, but the image displays perfectly fine within the text edittor and clicking "submit" again causes the post to send without problems. This is very odd.

Edit:  changed subject to make it clearer
Versus_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Versus_XIII
Member since 2006 • 1250 Posts
Have you thought of editing an image in an image editing software?

Then upload it to photobucket or ask photobucket to scale it down.

After it's done apply this code.

Use this:

(  ) Use these tags.
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ulillillia
It's uploaded to my webhost (note the URL of the image). By using the image tag's width and height attributes, I can scale the image down without having to create a thumbnail (although it doesn't appear as good since the pixels aren't averaged), it's still a decent preview). After my website's style, I tend to make the image a link so users can view the full-sized version when they click on it. By using UBBCode, the image is displayed at full size when made as a link, but shrinks automatically if not a link. The fix was to use HTML and when I do so, I get the error.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I type my post as you'd normally do and I have this within it (with proper formatting of course):

(a href="http://www.ulillillia.us/images/FlightSimulatorX002.jpg" target="_blank")(img src="http://www.ulillillia.us/images/FlightSimulatorX002.jpg" border="0" width="384" height="288")(/a)

2. I click the "submit" button and I see the error that my HTML is not properly formatted and that tags aren't closed. The tags are closed and thus what this bug report is about. Do you see any open tags? I don't, and this was the only HTML used. The image shows up in the text edittor without any problems and as intended so the HTML is being accepted, just not entirely for some reason.
3. I click the "submit" button again and the post sends as intended and displays as I was expecting it to.

If you'd like, I can take a series of screenshots and post a walkthrough of what I'm doing and the odd effects I'm getting.

Edit:  And yes, I do have GIMP and know how to use it - I've had it since around late 2004 or so.  It's just faster and more convienient this way since high clarity isn't a necessity with it.
chemeleon_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 chemeleon_789
Member since 2004 • 269 Posts
I think it's complaining about the lack of a / in the img tag. Try using (img src="whatever.jpg" /).
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ulillillia
That extra "/" is not needed.  My website has quite a few of those image tags and it works perfectly fine without the extra "/".  The link tag, however, doesn't have this issue since it requires something between the start and end tags.  The image, break row, and other tags that don't, don't need it and work perfectly fine without the extra "/".  Whether I use IE, Firefox, Opera, or Netscape, it all appears fine  This is more of a glitch with the HTML system here than it is with my HTML.  Although an SHTML document view the source here from my website's blog and you'll see the lack of a "/" at the end of the image tags (such as the ones in news item #6 or #12).
Versus_XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Versus_XIII
Member since 2006 • 1250 Posts
True HTML is used on this website. However, there are tags that are not HTML. For instance vBcode. I don't you should scale the image. Doing so, one will come out with errors. 
SavoyPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7 SavoyPrime
Member since 2003 • 41098 Posts

I'm actually having the same problem. It started late last night while I was doing updates in my union (The RPG Temple) and I'm still having problems. Ironically, I have no problem at all when I'm updating on the union front page. But if I try to do an update on the actual forum board, it gets wacky and has that stupid message: Your HTML is not well-formed - please check for unclosed tags.

I'm doing nothing different that I haven't done before and I've been doing this for a year now.

Update: I've just noticed that everytime I get that message, a lot of the text in the body of my post gets cut out and forbidden> is put in its' place. I don't know what's up with that.

ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ulillillia
The word "class" is causing a lot of problems as I encountered this as well myself.  There is nothing wrong with "class" at all.
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ulillillia
Yet another case of this happening:  I used the (hr) HTML tag but rather than just the "HTML is not well-formed, check for unclosed tags" message, I got another one in addition to it stating something like "tag BR is not allowed within tag HR" or something like that.  Yet, when I submitted my post where I got the errors displayed, I saw the horizontal rule within my post just fine and thus this bug occurred again, just in a more bizarre way.  Why can't the text edittor just use the (hr) or (img) tags without the extra "/" at the end?  There's nothing wrong with omitting it (as per the sample pointed to with my website which loads without any problems).  This just gets annoying.