GameSpot's recent boards & forum changes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

How do you like it? Do you think it's effective?

In my case, I first liked it because games now seemed to get their own GameSpot Board, but more and more it appears that they just draw together entire series of games or even whole game genres.

While the first makes sense in my opinion, like for example being able to cross talk about Final Fantasy not only on the Dissidia boards is really nice, but on the other hand I think drawing together whole genres is a fail, because I can imagine some people who look up a game here and look for help then would be way better served with a single board about said game instead of being thrown into a lottery of luck to find exactly their game in hundreds of others.

So, what's your opinion about it?

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I absolutely hate it. GameFAQs users made up the majority of the game-specific boards, and now the boards are completely dead or as you said, a bunch of stringed together boards, that all together still garner very little traffic. In my opinion, this was a big mistake.

catrocr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 catrocr
Member since 2004 • 1127 Posts
HATE IT. Hate the new format and design of the main Gamespot home page too. Man, I wish people would just leave $hit alone. Are you listening Gamespot?
Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

I also hate it it. I've stopped coming here for the forums because of the changes and started going to gamefaqs instead.

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 TazmanianD
Member since 2002 • 1476 Posts

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I really hate what Gamespot is doing. I just cancelled my Total Access subscription the instant after I noticed the first "This forum is now read-only" message so that's real money they just lost. I'll probably keep hanging around if they maintain read-only access but if that goes away too then I'll probably start spending more time on GF.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Yeah, I hope they let us keep track of the GF boards, but I actually like the split. I guess I'm in the minority, however.
Danny_1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Danny_1993
Member since 2008 • 1798 Posts
Seeing as the vast majority of posters were GameFaqs and not GS, now if I want to go to a forum, I either have to choose the new joint foum (which are all dead) or go to the read only ones, once I find a topic I want to comment in, open up a new tab, go to GameFaqs, log in, find the topic again, then comment. All because GameSpot took out a small white box and a button called "quick reply" - completely ridiculous
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]MirkoS77
You do know you can voice your opinion whether positive or negative right?
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
This is one of the stupidest updates I've ever seen. I understand that people had their gripes about GF mods who took their jobs too seriously but there had to be a better solution to this whole thing than forcing a board migration. The new boards are deserted and empty. Who knows when full activity will resume, and even then it will be nothing compared to the shared boards. Thanks a lot GS. You sure care about us! Instead of figuring out a way to bring more control to GS mods on shared boards you simply gave up and told us we couldn't post there anymore. Now we have to either switch websites or not discuss anything on a discussion board. After close to 10 years on this site now, I'm starting to rethink my decision.
ziegd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 ziegd
Member since 2004 • 5220 Posts

...er...by the way....where exactly do I find these "new" GS Forums? Call me stupid, but I just spent 20 minutes trying to rebuild my Favorites list, and every game forum I got to was locked-down (i.e. read only).

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dracula68

Just check the main forum list...scroll down.

...er...by the way....where exactly do I find these "new" GS Forums? Call me stupid, but I just spent 20 minutes trying to rebuild my Favorites list, and every game forum I got to was locked-down (i.e. read only).

ziegd

Check the main forum list--scroll down to genres.

hannify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hannify
Member since 2003 • 2220 Posts

PLEASE stop making 'likes' e-mail me by default. It is spamming the hell out of me. I guess I could just put it as junk and will be if it continues

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"][This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]Dracula68
You do know you can voice your opinion whether positive or negative right?

Yea I know. :)

I was a bit hasty in my posting though. I thought game specific boards were being turned into single topic threads. I'm perfectly fine with GS having its own boards, even though there are somewhat less posts than there were on GF (right now at least). This is not as bad as I thought at first, and think in the long run it's probably for the better.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

PLEASE stop making 'likes' e-mail me by default. It is spamming the hell out of me. I guess I could just put it as junk and will be if it continues

hannify
You can turn all of the emails off in your Fuse settings.
ziegd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 ziegd
Member since 2004 • 5220 Posts

Just check the main forum list...scroll down.[QUOTE="ziegd"]

Dracula68

Check the main forum list--scroll down to genres.

Are you kidding? Unless I'm doing something really wrong, there aren't any forums listed for specific games. Just random threads about all kinds of different games. Like, I want to find the new GS-only forum for Fallout: New Vegas on the PC. Where is it? Doing a forum search just gives me massive lists of the ones that are now read-only.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dracula68

Are you kidding? Unless I'm doing something really wrong, there aren't any forums listed for specific games. Just random threads about all kinds of different games. Like, I want to find the new GS-only forum for Fallout: New Vegas on the PC. Where is it? Doing a forum search just gives me massive lists of the ones that are now read-only.

ziegd

There are 2 sections. All old forums are read-only which will be below the forums you can post in. Click here for what I am talking about.It will be all systems combined though so no more seperate PC. 360, PS3. etc.

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TazmanianD

It will be all systems combined though so no more seperate PC. 360, PS3. etc.Dracula68
I think this is one good thing about the change. I feel silly having 12 different Assassin's Creeds boards in my favorites list when I could just have 4. Of course now I'll need 16 if I want to keep the GF ones and add the GS ones :-(

hannify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hannify
Member since 2003 • 2220 Posts

[QUOTE="hannify"]

dab198

You can turn all of the emails off in your Fuse settings.

Surely that should be off by default. Who really cares if someone 'likes' a comment? Replying is another. It is also wierd that it is fuse whcih contorls it. I put it to the junk anyway, I don't want to spend 15 minutes figuring out where from gamespot it is from.

romana86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 romana86
Member since 2008 • 1288 Posts

I HATE it. It's the worst symptom yet of just how awful and useless this site is becoming. What exactly is the point of this website if they continue farming off site features to other sites? Is this some consortium of web developers who want to make their users register for as many useless sites as possible in every effort to confuse them and push them away and make them hate them? Is this some massive "social experiment"?

I don't know, but I do know it's bad business.

If I'd wanted to use GameFAQS, I'd have registers for that site to begin with. If I wanted to use FUSE, I'd have registered for it to begin with.

And the fact that GameSpot actually has the audacity to sell subscriptions to this site as it continues these practices is astounding and reeks of a con. It all leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and makes me think very, very, very poorly of this site and everyone involved with it, as well as of GameFAQS (well, I already thought poorly of that site, but my opinion has gone even lower now), and of FUSE.

akdiuuuryttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 akdiuuuryttt
Member since 2005 • 2854 Posts

worst idea ever thought thought this was good? its the doom of gamespot. i like gamespot because u can go look at the news then go on forums if u want. now all what gamespot is good for is going on it for 1 minute and closing browser. probably less people will post in off topic too and less ppl will come here in general

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TazmanianD

Does anyone know if the GF forums are going to be completely dumped at some point or will they remain around in Readonly-mode for the forseeable future? The board management at GF lacks the ability to see the last posts in the forum which I find a very useful feature, particularly for the low traffic boards.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

Does anyone know if the GF forums are going to be completely dumped at some point

TazmanianD
I could see that happening. I'm not the final word on this by any means, but as GameFAQs now can develop their boards further, there may well be a time that GS's code no longer works with their systems.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I'm back after a while and when I thought back then I didn't like the change, I have to rethink:

Now I REALLY don't like it anymore, because I would have been able to live with GameSpot sells out all the boards to GameFAQs, though I didn't like it either, but what the hell have the people been thinking who decided to completely "favebooking" the news section?

It was one of my favorites do post comments on the news and see if they receive good ratings and people agree with me or if I'm totally alone with my opinion.

An easy + / - system that was really fun and now we have like which doesn't show up in any way? And follow....oh hell yeah right, seems fb, yt and GameFAQs aren't enough sites I already have registered with and purposely NOT linking them with other accounts, nah, one more can still be shoved down huh? :/

Well, because we're still on GAMEspot...let me close this rant with a famous phrase how I feel about this new changes:

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE it!

romana86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 romana86
Member since 2008 • 1288 Posts

OK, and after several days of this system I have more to add:

GameFAQs is NOWHERE near as easy to use as GameSpot was. That site has always been an absolute mess with features being absurdly difficult to find, nothing is clear, and it looks straight up out of 1997. It's outdated, inefficient, ugly, unintuitive and barely coherent. There are far less features than the GameSpot boards as well. Only half, maybe less, of what we could do here can be done there, and if it can be done there it's a pain in the butt to figure out how because, again, it's not clear or intuitive. The main feature being the inability to quote a post in reply to it. It's a bare bones site and it honestly shouldn't even exist.

There is absolute no reason why GameSpot and GameFAQS should exist separately. The two sites should be fully integrated already and one or the other should no longer be used as a separate site. The whole thing is so incredibly inefficient and unintuitive and I'm wondering if the people in charge did any market research or focus groups at all before they made the change? Because the only result I can see from this is fewer new users and a loss of current users. I know I'm already using this site, and especially the forums, FAR less than I used to.

It's terrible from an operating and business pov and from the customers pov.

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TazmanianD

GameFAQs is NOWHERE near as easy to use as GameSpot was. That site has always been an absolute mess with features being absurdly difficult to find, nothing is clear, and it looks straight up out of 1997.romana86
Yeah, I totally agree which is why I've always been a GS user. The GF system just sucks. *But* that's where most of the users are (at least where I hang out). Up till now, it's been getting the best of both. I've always wondered why GF users don't just come over to GS. I think they think that GS users are generally immature and stupid. Although I'm not sure if they can tell where a user comes from because they don't have avatars like GS does.

King_of_Cats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 King_of_Cats
Member since 2006 • 51 Posts
They could tell if they bothered to check. Your user profile over on GameFAQs wouldn't list a karma value at all if you were posting from GameSpot since we don't even have karma over here, as far as I'm aware. Now that they started the demerge thinger though, looking at a GS poster's profile will just show the profile of their GameFAQs board account, going so far as to automatically create one if it didn't already exist. While I'm here though, I'd like to say that I'm mainly a GameFAQs goer, so that's probably why I don't mind the split too much; I'm not on the side of the fence losing most of their forum activity.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm still baffled at as to what the logic was behind this. Gamefaqs has nearly all of the game specific forum traffic, the Gamespot game specific forums are pretty much all dead. As in little to no user traffic.

What happens when there is no traffic? There's no point in even bother looking, and people begin leaving. This change was a MAJOR mistake, the Gamefaqs boards need to be merged with Gamespot once again.

Ideally, as someone above me mentioned, there should just be one site. I question why Gamefaqs is actually still around, as the site seems outdated as heck... anyway, please change it back to the old system.

Also with the recent changes, I highly suggest Gamespot admins consult with the forum community before the supposed "forum revamp" is going to occur. The way the comments update was handled, if something similar goes down with the forum changes it could be disastrous for the site's community.