Gamespot web pages keep going blank.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Reichmaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Reichmaster01
Member since 2006 • 271 Posts

Blank as in just the background colour and nothing else. I am using Chrome and this is the only site I have encountered this on. Only started happening today.

Avatar image for xCocoTheMonkeyx
xCocoTheMonkeyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xCocoTheMonkeyx
Member since 2011 • 425 Posts

same problem here.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11621 Posts

I think it has something to do with Adblock Plus. Try using a different type of extension if that is the case.

IckyQualms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IckyQualms
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

I have this problem. It is definitely caused by Adblock. I see all forms of advertising as inherently evil so I use this extension as a matter of principle. If I can no longer access Gamespot without ads then I guess it's goodbye Gamespot.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1251 Posts

Everything seems to work for me exept gamespot.com/pc, which is what I have bookmarked. Even other URL's that are on the PC section work fine, only the front PC page doesn't. It opens the page and after like 3 seconds it goes white. I also use adblock and I won't disable it.

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#6 Rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

I've been killing myself over this all weekend. I'm fairly sure its an ad that is trying to bust ad-blocker and in all cases does evil things. I've seen this with and without ad-block. With ad-block the plugin spikes to 100% CPU then the browser crashes. I've filed a bug with the ad team and I'll add this thread to it. They're looking into it.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By tsunami2311
Member since 2003 • 984 Posts

it adp causing it, turn it off fixes it which i refuse to do, Gamespot is the only website i frequent that has THIS MANY ISSUE with ABP, it make me wonder if there purposely using ads that integrated in to the site so much that if there block kills the site. Maybe gamepost should dial it back with over kill of ADS that slow the site down immensely. IGN,GiantBomb dont have these issue. if i think about all these issue started when the rolled out the current site design.

There is fine line from some no intrusive ads that dont slow sites down and large amounts of them that slow the site down, which gamespot uses so many it slow the site down alot.

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rick

@tsunami2311: I'm pretty sure its ad block being too aggressive on GameSpot. It thinks many of the things we are doing to render the page are to render ads and it blocks that.

Reichmaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Reichmaster01

@edgework: I really think this is an issue with Gamespot and not Adblock. Sure disabling seems to stop the crashing, but as others have said I will not disable it for principle and safety. It happens on no other websites I have visited, ever. So I hope you can fix this soon or unfortunately I just won't be coming back.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tsunami2311

your doing it wrong if ADs are need to to render a page. the fact it renders the page and then just disapears when it done loading does tell me that for some stupid reason ADS are required to show the page ADS should never be REQUIRED for page to load and if said AD is blocked it results the page going blank your implements said ads wrong.

Seriously Gamespot is the only website that i know that has endless issue with adblockers used. I get that websites use ads for revenue but, when said ads start slowing the loading of the pages as much as they do on gamespot. that would be come one reason why people use Ad blockers.

I will throw you bone though Easylist for ABP is the subscription causing the pages to blank after loading

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rick

@Reichmaster01 We put a hack in to address this particular problem with Ad Block. The version of this that happens without ad block is still unsolved.

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rick

@tsunami2311: The problem is Ad Block thinks our entire page is an ad and is blocking it. Its totally their problem.

Reichmaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Reichmaster01

@edgework: Since it only appears to be this website that has the problem, I would suggest it is the other way around. You will bleed readers if this problem is left unsolved.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tsunami2311

@edgework: that is fun seeing it GAMESPOT with the issue and to this date gamespot website is only i seen since using ABP that has so many issue. you's trying to say ABP is singling gamespot out and has vendetta against it? please

Sort out your ads issue, I remeber when the website wouldnt let me left click anything cause for some reason the web site want some ad to not be block just for left click to work right. which reinforce my thought that your AD team is trying to make AD's required for the site to work.

Say it ABP problem is even stupider, people will read that as Gamespot dont care if they lose readers/viewers all cause they dont want to deal with there site constant issues with ablockers used while most other site have no such issue to extent gamespot does.

And most of this issue gamespot has had as of late STARTED when this current site layout was rolled out. who is really at fualt ABP? the webdesigners? AD service? either way Gamespot is who will suffer in the end, and viewers will just get feed up at some point and stop coming to the site

Reichmaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Reichmaster01

Hey guys, quick update. Try disabling ABP for gamespot and then immediately enable it again. Seems to be working with no ads... so far.

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 6938 Posts

Yup same problem.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tsunami2311

I love the fact edgework keep saying it NOT gamespots PROBLEM when it obiviously is cause how there implenting there own ads. it not GAMESPOTS problem when they lose viewer/readers cause they got feed up with the constant issue this site has with adblockers? Get with the times and accept the fact no one goes on the internet with out ad blocker for many reasons. ranging from excess ads causing the site to load much slower, to the fact malware can come threw ads.

Just make yousite work correctly with ad blockers like 90% all the other sites do, ign, giantbomb defently dont have issue like gamespot with block not even remotely

Keep sticking your heads in the sand the problem will obliviously go away when you's no longer have readers/viewers it rather funny

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rick

@tsunami2311 It IS Ad Blocker's problem. Its being stupid and here's exactly how. It's detection regex looks for classes in an element that have the two characters "ad" in them. Our BODY element has a class that we use called "has-ads" it sees "ad" in there and thinks the BODY is an ad and hides it. That is pure stupidity.

Reichmaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Reichmaster01

I'm no tech expert so I am looking at this from a purely "common sense" perspective. But why not change the name of the class if that is causing the problem? Or contact the dev of the software and let them know about this oversight?

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rick

@Reichmaster01: Because a bunch of things count on that name, not all of which we control.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9164 Posts

For a while, I had adblocker installed on my computer. Turned out things were more of a hassle than needed in a lot of cases. Ranging from my university website, to other sites where I did online homework, things were just complicated. Yes, I didn't have the annoying ads on youtube, but 15-30 seconds isn't a lot of time to lose, and sometimes, they advertise movies or shows I would have never known about before. I'm not saying ads are the greatest thing ever, because they do suck.

After cleaning up my computer one day of extensions I thought I didn't need anymore, I disabled adblocker without realizing it, and actually had a much better time on the internet. Some webpages loaded slower, but I also noticed that some loaded faster, and that others were more responsive. If I'm being truly honest, I haven't really missed adblocker even though I disabled it a year ago. Maybe it's because I'm careful about the websites I use (I do also pay the premiums for websites like Beats Music where there are no ads), maybe it's because I've had a great streak of luck, I'm not really sure. But my point is, my experience on the internet isn't night and day before and after adblocker, it's just simpler to have ad block off. I have yet to get any malware from an advertisement *knocks on wood* but I know that it is ENTIRELY possible.

After another website I visited had a big post about how much revenue they were missing out on due to ad blockers, it also made me realize something. Yes, we don't pay to use free websites, but the servers, and the people behind them that make them as good as they are, costs money. I understand you are frustrated because it is a huge inconvenience to have ads on some websites. And you are missing out on the content here. I totally get that. But at the same time, how many websites do you have where the actual dev on the website is responding to you and your forum posts? His salary isn't free. Whether or not you were happy with the answer you got from him, that's a completely different point. There are websites out there with more traffic where you would might not even get a response. Or it would have been some general "We're working on it." without any indication on what they were working on. At least it was a response which outlined the problem and offered a solution.

When it came to E3 streams, another advantage of this website is the moderation we have here. Sure, the moderation policies can be pretty strict. I understand that since I am a moderator, who was a regular user for 5 years before becoming a moderator. But at the same time, when it came to the E3 chatrooms, the chat rooms were exactly that, chat. They weren't like Twitch's rooms where it was mainly users spamming emojis.

I know I look like I'm on Gamespot's side since I have the moderator badge, and since I am not directly saying "make your website work with adblocker", but I'm still a regular user who doesn't get compensated by Gamespot. I just volunteer some of my free time to help clean up the site.

holifeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 holifeet
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

I hadn't really encountered this problem before today, and I've run adblock for as long as I can recall. But...

I was trying to view the gamespot 50 for PC and the page just goes grey after a short time. The same is true for articles and game pages, but the front page remains untouched.

I still have ads on my front page that adblock doesn't remove. These are google ads tailored to me. Whether they do actually counbt as ads, I don't know. It's links to stories around the web.

I've been doing some fiddling around and I turned adblock off at gamespot only to find that they run full page ads with videos included. It makes the page horrendous to load and I'm not willing to turn adblock off if that's the case. I'd rather pay a subscription to use gamespot ad-free.

I use ghostery too, but I've had gamespot whitelisted becuase it was messing with the loading of videos. I just turned the whitelist off and, hey presto, the site works just fine. Ads are blocked (well except for the google ads...but they're not so invasive). I'm mostly blocking advertising with ghostery, but if videos fail to load I'll have to tinker.

I've not used Gamespot as much lately, anyway. I don't like the changes to the comments. I think voting up posts is a nice touch, and that apepars to be gone.

I understand ads are needed to gain revenue with which to improve gamespot, but the full page ads are seriously aggressive and detrimental to site stability. There needs to be options. I'd pay a subscription if I knew it would help gamespot to improve. I'd like to see less intensive focus on consoles and North America first though. The PC section is just horrendous and every single sale article for Americans. Hello Europe!

holifeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By holifeet

@verbtex: It's one thing when ads are small and non-invasive. It's another thing entirely when they take up the whole page, run videos and glare at you like and angry clown out to steal your children.

I'd happily fund the good work Gamespot do, but not to be blinded with ads like I witnessed. Let's have an option.

It's the full page ads that are causing problems...though both the user running adblock and gamespot are going to see problems differently. This is not to mention that when you're watching a video in the regular window it's beyond annoying to have a video advertising Dark Souls running just below it.

Put ads down the side of the page, put links to ads before each page I want to view. Just get rid of those horrendous full page ads with videos. They cause a detriment to the site.

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rick

@holifeet: Which full page ad are you referring to? Can you send me a screenshot?

holifeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By holifeet

@edgework said:

@holifeet: Which full page ad are you referring to? Can you send me a screenshot?

I posted details earlier today (28/06) in the ad problems thread - it's stickied at the top of the bugs sub forum - here

I think yourself or another staff member referred to them as skins in another thread.

But, here's another screenshot showing just how many times the video is shown on one page. Imagine if you're watching an article video too.

The article is at the top of today's news so you can test it for yourself. It's just too much. I'm sure you can agree that's overboard. It's that or the page just goes blank when adblock blocks all of it. I guess because the ad is the page, if it's a skin.

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rick

@holifeet: It looks like you're in Europe and our ad networks in Europe have lost their minds. We're having lots of problems there and are doing all we can to fix this. Sorry. I'll forward this to the ad team.

holifeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 holifeet

@edgework said:

@holifeet: It looks like you're in Europe and our ad networks in Europe have lost their minds. We're having lots of problems there and are doing all we can to fix this. Sorry. I'll forward this to the ad team.

@edgework: Ahh, ok. Thanks for that.

kyphe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By kyphe
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

@Reichmaster01: To anyone having issues! When a page goes blank, click on add block, open blockable items, at the top in red text you will see an item called skin add, it's the new big full page add they are using, click the X on that line to stop blocking that add only. Refresh page, Fixed!

holifeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By holifeet

@kyphe said:

@Reichmaster01: To anyone having issues! When a page goes blank, click on add block, open blockable items, at the top in red text you will see an item called skin add, it's the new big full page add they are using, click the X on that line to stop blocking that add only. Refresh page, Fixed!

Thanks.

I notice adblock and gamespot are working better together this morning; I've only had to do what you suggested once so far. I have decided, though, that I'd like to make an effort to turn adblock off and support gamespot. I'd just like assurances that I can trust the ads on gamespot and that I won't be bombarded with the likes of the Dark Souls ad I witnessed.

We'll see. I'd rather have some sort of subscription that allows me to turn ads off.

Reichmaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Reichmaster01

@kyphe: Thanks for the tip.

As I posted earlier, I disabled ABP for this site, then immediately enabled it again. I have had no problems with ads or failing to load since. Hopefully this thread will help out others.

hedlesschickn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hedlesschickn
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts

I don't care who's fault it is. If GS can't figure out the problem and resolve it, I simply will not return. I come to you for information about games. That's advertisement enough. I know it's sorta outside the scope of this particular problem, but you fine folks are paid by game producers to produce content that advances their games. If you can't make enough money from that, that is your problem. I'm more than happy to go elsewhere for information.

anarayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By anarayan
Member since 2004 • 351 Posts

For me, this happens only in the main page. I do have adblock and adblock plus installed and enabled on firefox, but what I do is, after the site loads for the most part, but before the site loads completely (as determined by the swirling icon on the left of the tab), I just hit escape. This stops whatever it is that is causing that "feature" on the GS website from loading. This is not a fix, but will temporarily help until this issue is resolved. Hope this helps.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tsunami2311

Current issue is caused by the ##.skinAd disable that filter in easy list and pages show again.

And it only the home page with the issue, other pages seem fine

It is quite amazing how how easylist/abp fix the issues then gamespot goes and changes how there ads work and breaks it again.

stevelabny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stevelabny
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

Take the people who posted on this thread. Multiply by thousands. That's how many people tried to connect to your site, got a blank screen, and went to one of your competitors.

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rick

@tsunami2311: We changed trying to "fix" ad block.

Rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rick

@stevelabny:

Wraith3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wraith3
Member since 2003 • 453 Posts

Just go into Adblock Plus and tell it to disable it for Gamespot. It fixed it for me.

nomailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#39 nomailx
Member since 2005 • 483 Posts

Work Around: Stop the page loading before it ends itself. You can keep Adblock and write a message. (This message was written with Adblock blocking Gamespot).

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Wraith3 said:

Just go into Adblock Plus and tell it to disable it for Gamespot. It fixed it for me.

Not gonna do that because I have limited bandwidth each month and damned if I'm going to blow through it just to browse Gamespot. Either fix this problem or I'm done with this place. Using IE just to get here and type this, and WOW these ads are terrible (first time I'm seeing them since I use FF and ADP).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36236 Posts

BP only seems to interfere with the main page and front page news stories and videos. ABP works fine for forums which I mostly use the site for, but I have to make a choice between being able to see videos and news articles on the front page or not, I chose not. I had disabled ABP temporarily only to discover the site was piping in hidden audio ads in the pages that caused my browser to chug which ceased only when closing the browser tab I used for GameSpot. Only way to stop this, turn ABP back on, which is what I did, and everything runs smoothly. Turn ABP off, runs like poo; back on, runs smoothly.

anarayan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

User Lists: 8

#42 anarayan
Member since 2004 • 351 Posts

Well, this issue seems to have been "fixed." However, though I have ABP enabled, I get 30 second ads on videos. Interesting "fix."