Gamespot running slow

• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_KMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 Mr_KMG
Member since 2003 • 2971 Posts

The speed and stability of GS site, I'm not surprised that its popularity has gone down in the past year

Nobody wants to use a site that is slower than 75% of the web and has the one of the worst Flash-based video players on the web; Why select HD videos when it doesn't properly scale videos at full screen?

I've been a GS user for almost a decade and my engagement has decreased over the years, the current site issues is basically the final nail in the coffin for me.

Sidenote: It took 13 seconds (of "waiting for www.gamespot.com" in the status bar) for the insert link frame (a total size 2.3 kB; 0.9 kB for the frame and 1.4 kB for the javascript file) to load when I went to insert the link above

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Whenever I try and load things that take a long time---collections, post history, etc it happens.Dracula68
I've had this problem for the past few years though. Roaming around my or anyone else profile has always taken 20 secs to a 1 minute for a page to load up. Especially when trying to load up my post history which is guarantee 30 sec to a minute wait compared to the rest of the site that takes 3 to 10 secs to load....
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

I have an awesome connection and this is the only site that loads slow.

fix plz.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yeah I noticed the site loading inanely slow before the forums started disapearing.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#55 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

I have an awesome connection and this is the only site that loads slow.

fix plz.

jakes456
This

yeah I noticed the site loading inanely slow before the forums started disapearing.

WilliamRLBaker
....and this. Pretty painfully slow on the site as a whole, but the problem is far more apparent in the Forums section. I haven't experienced 'BOINKS' and error messages--yet--but I feel as slow as it's crawling it's only a matter of time.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#56 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Omg it's nearly impossible to get around in this site now all I get is bonk/oops every 2 pages or so...

So. Many. Glitches.

By Tom Mcshea's standards, this is a solid 4.0 site due to being broken.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
It seems to have gotten worse with in the past couple of days. Some times it has taken a few tries to simply get to the home page. But it's completely random. So odd.
01_855403

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 01_855403
Member since 2006 • 1004 Posts
For the past week, once i log in to GS Fuse then takes a along time to load so i get this error: Network Error (tcp_error) A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out" The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time. For assistance, contact your network support team. Literally for the past week i was never able to use Fuse.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Site is getting slower for me. Errors are now affecting the site as a whole, not just when posting in the forums. Regular connection errors when browsing too, even if I'm not posting. I read in the enhancement forum that forums are being fixed, but that might not be until 2013 - if the general stability continues to decline at such a progression then I'd expect many people won't be around to see the benefits of any improvements. Which would be a shame, because the site has always been fun to browse.
dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dalger21
Yea, it definitely is running extremely slow and moving from page to page is a crap shoot with the pages just dying so often. It took me like 30 mins simply to blog and to get it posted for Jody to see it on her blog. It's getting ridiculously crazy now with the slowness and crashing.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

This morning you might notice some even further slower loading times as we have about 6 people working with the servers. We thank you all for your support and patience in the meantime.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#62 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

504 Gateway error is rampaging again every time I post.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

topsemag55
They fixed that yesterday afternoon, and I haven't experienced it since.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#64 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

JodyR

I've had it a lot in the past couple of hours, Jody. Not always necessarily when posting, just doing other minor things on the site too.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 dalger21
I haven't had any issues today. Actually, everything has been extremely smooth except for some hiccups that are probably because of FUSE being down. I'm like Jody - I had gangs of 504 Gateway issues yesterday and haven't had one today.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 dab198
Actually, everything has been extremely smoothdalger21
Wish I could say the same. The site is still running like sludge.
dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dalger21
That's strange...What browser are you using?
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dab198
All of them ;) I don't stick to one.
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Just got a 504 on an attempt to load up a thread from another forum. About 11:30 am PT. That might have been the first one for me in the last 20 or 30 minutes or so, although I suspected that I'd seen another one before catching up in this thread a few minutes ago. (Edit: it might have been when I posted this (~10:46 am PT); I know something happened there because I had to reload the original thread to see my post, and I was initially getting the (-1) unread thing afterward, but that now appears to have worked it's way out.) Definitely just saw one in the last couple minutes though. Curiously, attempting to just reload the page "worked" in that I didn't get a 504, and got a web page that looked sort of like a thread - but the body of the thread is gone! Hmm...

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

JodyR

Just to say I am getting the same issue, happens every time I am posting in a union I am in. Not sure if it is happening on the main boards as they seem to be loading a bit quicker (but I would not say stable as I have had 504 or "Ooops" errors on boards like the PC Game, Primary Game, and UK discussion).

Edit: Just to say this post went through on first attempt without a 504 timeout error.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

JodyR

I am getting this when changing setting profile picture. Can't upload a picture at all. Never confirms it. So, I can't change my pic.
TheYoshster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 TheYoshster
Member since 2008 • 4348 Posts

I get a 504 every time I try to go to any sort of union ._.

01_855403

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 01_855403
I am not getting any errors on gamespot.com, hope when Fuse is restored tomorrow, there wont be any hiccups.
KingOfOldSkool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 KingOfOldSkool
Member since 2005 • 1601 Posts

I get a 504 every time I try to go to any sort of union ._.

TheYoshster

I've also had plenty of problems trying to navigate unions to the past couple weeks. It's been taking me 3 or 4 attempts to even get to the home page.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#75 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
I am still getting the 504 error as well as a "connection closed by remote server" or something like that.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
Another issue I am running into is the site seems to not recognise when I have viewed a topic and still shows as new posts when I have already read them.
01_855403

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 01_855403
Everything is working top-notch here! Back to FUSE!
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#79 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

504's and Bonks all over the place, still.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#80 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

The site seems to be a lot faster tonight, but the bonk error is still a problem.

danawhitaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 danawhitaker
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I'm getting 504 errors every time I try to open my collection, and have been for almost a week now. This is making the site pretty much unusable at this point. I've tried in multiple browsers as well, from multiple machines in my house. And this is the only site I'm having issues with, so I don't think it's my connection.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 gmax  Moderator
I'm getting 504 errors every time I try to open my collection, and have been for almost a week now. This is making the site pretty much unusable at this point. I've tried in multiple browsers as well, from multiple machines in my house. And this is the only site I'm having issues with, so I don't think it's my connection.danawhitaker
It's not your connection or your computers. Several major changes have been made on the site's servers recently, and there are widespread problems affecting many users as a result. The size of your wish list may be a factor, and it may eventually make an interesting case study for the staff to consider. For now, it's basically wait and see. There's clearly a lot going on.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

What the hell is going on? This site has been pure garbage for well over a month now.

Bonk, gateway time out, slow as ****.

danawhitaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 danawhitaker
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="danawhitaker"]I'm getting 504 errors every time I try to open my collection, and have been for almost a week now. This is making the site pretty much unusable at this point. I've tried in multiple browsers as well, from multiple machines in my house. And this is the only site I'm having issues with, so I don't think it's my connection.gmax
It's not your connection or your computers. Several major changes have been made on the site's servers recently, and there are widespread problems affecting many users as a result. The size of your wish list may be a factor, and it may eventually make an interesting case study for the staff to consider. For now, it's basically wait and see. There's clearly a lot going on.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if my wishlist size is in fact directly related to the issue at the moment. One of the reasons I've been trying to get into it actually is to purge everything and start fresh. Hah. I'll keep at it. Though I do still have the issue with the list of games that I own, which is considerably smaller.
crimes73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#86 crimes73
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

I agree with Fizzman.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 gmax  Moderator
I actually wouldn't be surprised if my wishlist size is in fact directly related to the issue at the moment. One of the reasons I've been trying to get into it actually is to purge everything and start fresh. Hah. I'll keep at it. Though I do still have the issue with the list of games that I own, which is considerably smaller.danawhitaker
I have a feeling that the game lists are all tied together at some point, and that the smaller lists are paralyzed collaterally by the mere existence of the one large list, even when you're not necessarily trying to load the large list explicitly - in some form it's still happening at a lower level somewhere. That potentially makes this one issue compounding another, where this theorized "all at once" design of gamelists that may have merely been unwise before the server changes is now one of the things triggering the 504 issue that is so prevalent after the server changes. A lot of the things that trigger the 504/502/500/etc. and even the bonk/oops pages seem to be intermittent - trying again or at another time the action will often work. Attempting to load your wish list, however, has failed every time I have tried it, and that may make it a useful diagnostic tool for inducing the error in a repeatable way. That said, it would not surprise me if the staff have already identified the fundamental issue and are now simply thinking about how to address it. Personally, I'm expecting some major changes, but we'll have to wait and see. In the mean time, we could consider trying to find a way to pick off the three(?) Need for Speed: Wanted games that show up on your Latest Additions page, but I'm not sure that's worth the effort.

anihimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 anihimz
Member since 2010 • 14242 Posts
Okay here's the glitches I've been getting: 1) When going into a thread/another union, a "504 Error: The server did not respond in time" page would pop up. After refreshing the page about four or five times it goes away. 2) "500 Gateway Error" pops up when I'm posting, if I open a new tab and go back to the board it would show a bolded new message with my name and not count the post towards my post count. It took multiple refreshes to bypass the 500 page and have my post added to my post count, but the site glitches and causes me to accidentally multi-post, the most times I had to refresh that page was eight (then obviously the site would glitch and post the post eight times). 3) Yesterday when I was logging in I was unable to (I forgot what the message was but it had something to do with "user input") even tho my email and password were correct (I even checked if caps lock was accidentally on but it wasn't). After like the sixth time I had to log in using captcha. 4) Accessing my profile is very slow. If I would click on my unions page then it would take about seven minutes to either have the page pop up, or a 504 page pops up (which goes away after refreshing multiple times). But, this happens with any section on your profile, actually. 5) Yesterday, I was changing my sig and the 504 error popped up again lol. 6) Last week I got a PM but when I checked my inbox there were no messages. Bonk, Oops, and flooding glitches haven't happened to me since that previous site maintenance. I don't even use Fuse as well so idk about those glitches. Hope this helps
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#90 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Been trying to post a blog and HTTP 408/409 Server Busy appearing alot, same goes with posting comments on other people's blogs and on forum pages. Some of my lose friends on Gamespot have left due to these problems :(

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#91 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
504 searching for games, incredibly slow responses trying to add games to lists.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#92 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

504 searching for games, incredibly slow responses trying to add games to lists. nutcrackr

I know that feel.

Mr_KMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Mr_KMG
Member since 2003 • 2971 Posts

well it took a total load time of 40 seconds going through 3 pages of this topic, including a 504 gateway timeout triggered by my router

nsoliveira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 nsoliveira
Member since 2006 • 26075 Posts

Don't know if I'm being off-topic but I had the 500 Internet Server Error when I try to go to a union's board, try 2 of the unions that I'm a part of and it's always that same error. Been like this for 2 hours and 11 minutes. Is it possible to fix that?

Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
i can't access Forums or Unions here, i am lucky i got in this thread.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 jediknight52501

Don't know if I'm being off-topic but I had the 500 Internet Server Error when I try to go to a union's board, try 2 of the unions that I'm a part of and it's always that same error. Been like this for 2 hours and 11 minutes. Is it possible to fix that?

nsoliveira
i can't get into any Unions i am in. it needs to be fixed and soon.
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 jediknight52501

yea they did some maintenence yesterday that fvcked some things up. some people lost some posts, blogs dissapeared, cant get into your posting history. BONK! server errors. stuff like that.

ive just recently got my blogs back and such.

still cant check my post history, says i havent contributed anything to the forums.

but yea, the site is still sluggish.

konvikt_17
the site is crap now, this has gone on since E# and it never stopped. i am going to spam here till we get an answer since i can't get into Unions at all.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts

Yep, I can't seem to access any of my unions either. Considering I need to post a fair bit of details in the one I lead over the next few days, kinda annoying that I haven't been able to get on for a good 3/4 hours now.

The problem is, it's not just a few days (annoying but eventually it gets sorted). I've been having these issues with GameSpot for over a month now (Both of my previous two union games - the last one in July and one running now - have been affected by it), and it's beyond unacceptable. Yes, I'm a free member and no, it's not my right to have this place working perfect 100% of the time (I wouldn't expect it to either), but for these issues to be happening for over a month now is incredibly tedious.

I'm leaving my position as leader in a few months on my union, due to other commitments in life and being unable to continue my duties on the union, but now another part of me wants to go just because of the longevity of this issue, which is sad given I've used this website almost constantly for six years now.

jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 jediknight52501

Yep, I can't seem to access any of my unions either. Considering I need to post a fair bit of details in the one I lead over the next few days, kinda annoying that I haven't been able to get on for a good 3/4 hours now.

Redders1989
it is annoying and yet the techs don't care it seems. it is sad that site has gotten this bad this quick. i blame CBS Interactive for all the crap since they took over. damn you Dan Rather. damn you CBS. damn you NCIS.