GameSpot Bugs and Glitches (Updated: 7/29/07)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
GAMESPOT BUGS AND GLITCHES

Check the Help section and the Welcome Newbies board if you are new here, and contact Customer Service if you are having a subscription/billing issue. Go to Welcome Newbies if you have a "how to" question. If you need technical assistance with something on GameSpot, then you are in the right forum.

Keep in mind that bugs on this list are just things that have been compiled by users on this board, and does not indicate whether GameSpot is fixing the problem. This is a continuation of the previous topics created by Gum_Bercules, and RockMFR.

If you find any bug or issue that is missing from this list, post it here. If you see a bug that is in the list, please don't make a new thread about it. And don't ask when it will be fixed. We don't know, and we should just let the administrators fix it.

Table Of Contents:

1. Introduction
2. Forum Issues
3. Profile Issues
4. Union Issues
5. Other Issues
6. Things You Should Know
7. Report Broken Links, Typos, and Errors

Last Updated: 7/29/07

updated the Report Broken Links, Typos, and Errors thread

updated the Forum Issues thread

Note: all new additions are added to the bottom of the thread

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _Sam_
Forum Issues

WWW Links on UK: The favorite board links on the UK forums page go to www instead of uk. Bug #280613 Once server cache clears, the links revert to whichever region the user is from. No change.

Moved Topics: When a topic is moved to another board, messages within that topic retain a link to the previous board. This can be replicated by attempting to edit a post in a topic after it has been moved to another board- a link to the original board remains on the edit post page. Moving topics also causes discrepancies with the post count for that board and causes problems in user post histories.

Censor Errors: Correct words are being mistaken as censored, and can delete your entire post.

Align Tools: It seems like threads that have been edited a lot, such as this thread, doesn't accept alignment changes. (this seems to only be glitchy in FireFox)

Spaces: Some spaces are being deleted by the editor when you submit a post. This appears to happen more often when you use the "quick" buttons. (Support Topic)

Safari 3 Beta: WYSIWYG text entry doesn't seem to work in Safari 3 Beta for Windows... When you submit the entry, it says no text was entered.

Board Post Count: When you move a thread off of a Union Board to a UCB, neither board post count updates. The Union post count stays the same and the UCB post count doesn't go up (this might be the same for normal boards, but I couldn't test it)

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Sam_
Profile Issues

Last Online and Account Creation Times: For many inactive users, the last login time often just shows the current time, and sometimes the account creation time is not listed in the profile at all.

My Contacts Stats: The counters on the contact page are often higher than they should be. For example, see this page and click on the "People I'm Tracking" tab. Caused by "blank" users in tracked/friends lists (caused by pre-redesign bugs?)

People Tracking Me Issue: Some users in the "People Tracking Me" group of contacts have a link to "Stop Tracking" them (and vice versa), even though they're not being tracked in the first place. Bug #244293 Fixed. edit by sam, NOT fixed example

My Contacts Tab: The load time is a lot longer than the other tabs in your profile

Tracked Game Downloads: On your updates page, for tracked games, the download link is correct but takes you to the wrong gamespace

PMs: All outbox and inbox pms before January 1, 2007 have been deleted

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _Sam_

Union Issues

Union Levels not Updating: Unions levels haven't updated daily since E3 2006! You might see a Union's level invrease once in a while, but I think that's just an administrator doing a manual update of the system. Bug #207803 - Still working on this one. We are aware of the disparity amongst union level updates. edit by sam, if those plans to fix the union levels change, please tell me

Union Resign Page Links: The union resign page has numerous broken links (located in the navbar above the union banner). Bug #240908 edit by sam, not all of the links work!! NOT fixed

Related Unions: The related unions section is showing old data. Here's an example.

Union Logo Link: When you are on a union page, the GameSpot logo at the top of the screen links to this page. It makes more sense to link to the Browse Unions page. Bug #315036

User Icon Errors: When user icons are displayed on union pages, there is no error-checking with onerror="hide_broken_img(this)" (for 404 or other errors).

Union Banners and "No Images": Union banners are still visible even when the "No Images" option is used. Bug #315056

De-established Union Boards: When a union is de-established and then re-established, it is assigned brand-new boards for the union blurnal and the union board instead of using the old board id's.

De-established Union Links: When a union gets de-established, all the links to the forum (posting history, favorites, etc) should link to here instead of linking to this non-existent page. The same bug also causes non-existent union boards to go to the wrong page (example).

Admin Tab: When you click the admin tab, it takes way too long to load

Can't Stop Tracking Unions: When you click the stop tracking button, on the union's main page and the unions tab in your profile, the page refreshes and says that it's no longer tracked but it's not removed from your tracked union list This is working.

Union Activity Emblem System: The union activity emblem system isn't working. This means that dead unions aren't being burded after being MIA for over 30 days

Telegrams: When you send a telegram to a large union (approx 500 or more) some members get 2 copes of the telegram while others don't get even 1 copy. A few minutes after you click the submit button, a "page cannot be shown" error comes up

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _Sam_

Other Issues

Can't login: Username and password fields keep resetting when you try to login. Using retrieve password says email address not in database. Solution: delete your browser cache.Bug #GME-885

IE
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options. On the General tab in Browsing History, click the Delete button then Delete Files button to delete all the files that are currently stored in your cache.

Firefox
On the Tools menu, click Clear Private Data. In the Clear Private Data popup, select Cache and click the Clear Private Data Now button.

If this does not work, please follow the steps below:

1. Log out of GameSpot.
2. Delete your cookies.
3. Close ALL your browser windows.
4. ReOpen your browser.
5. Logout using this link: http://www.gamespot.com/misc/logout.html
6. Login using this link: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/common/login.php

User Video Favorites: It takes quite a long time for favorite videos to update. When you remove one or add one, the change isn't reflected immediately. Bug #315012

Icon and Username Color Caching: When a user changes their icon or name color, the old icon/color remains cached for a period of time. A quick workaround to this problem is to go to the forums prefs page and just click "apply changes". Bug #250792Fixed - requires page refresh to see color change.

New Releases Previous Week: Go here and click "Previous Week". Notice how the date isn't correct. The previous week link doesn't work for any dates before 2006. Bug #250774

GameSpot Board Search: When you click on the second page on a search on a specific board, the results turn to global gamespot.com search results We moved to a different search engine so this may have fixed itself in the change.

Comments: With some event and show pages, like On the Spot, some users aren't able to enter in anything in the comment area because no cursor comes up, which enables them to click in the area and start typing. After you click on "check spelling" you are able to enter in text, but it becomes very annoying when having a conversation Looking into this.

Union AND Profile Views: The view counter for Profiles AND Unions aren't updating

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _Sam_

Things You Should Know

Unions Not Establishing: If your union is not working even after 4 people have accepted, send a PM to VinceL or send an email to vincentl [at] gamespot.com

Temporary Bugs: If your level resets/disappears, or your private messages don't show up, or your favorite boards disappear, wait about an hour and it will fix itself.

Changing Date of Birth: This can be done by logging in on GameFAQs.

Cancel Free Accounts: You can no longer cancel free-membership accounts.

Fully Deleting Messages/Comments: When you delete a comment or post, it's still there, but only the administrators and moderators can see it

Signature Character Limit: The maximum is 1024 characters- this includes characters within HTML tags. Go to your forum prefs, click the WYSIWYG button, and clear out any unneeded HTML tags.

Game-Specific Board Issues: If you cannot post on these boards but you can view the boards, give it some time (due to probationary posting limits). If you cannot view the game boards at all, your game board account is suspended/banned. If you can read the game boards but cannot post at all (and have never posted on them), your game board account is probably set to read-only. Editing is not allowed on game boards.

Missing Games: If a game is missing from the database, can't be added to your collection, or isn't coming up in the search engine, post in the missing game thread.

Emblem Issues: When the emblem system updates (I think it's sometime between 12:00-8:00 AM PST) you might loose an emblem, but it will come back the next day when the system updates. But you might have changed something so you don't qualify for an emblem anymore

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _Sam_

Report Broken Links, Typos, and Errors

To report a broken link, a typo, or other errors that aren't glitches, contact Customer Support. Also, if you report these errors to me in this thread, I will add them to this post.

E3 2007: When you are on the E3 2007 forum, the "forum" link which should take you back to the community page is broken Fixed

Generic Profile Pages: None of the generic profile pages work. Example http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/updates.php?mode=_____
In place of ____ is the name of the tab. The first page doesn't update because it doesn't link to the accessing user's profile. When you try to change tabs or sub tabs, the link is borken because it tries to go to the "new" profile links with the user name.... This should be fixed or all of the links should be taken down Bug #314998 Fixed.

Watch It: The "watch it" link here is broken Bug #314995Fixed.

Search Result: The link for Theme Park World for PS2 is broken (when accessing from search results). There is nothing in the link between "... .com/" and "/index. ..." Bug #314992

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _Sam_
Reserved Space
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _Sam_
Reserved Space
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _Sam_
Reserved Space
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _Sam_
I'm going to do this thread again. rock disapeared, so I'm taking over
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Glad to here you are doing it. If you need help you know how to find me :)
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _Sam_
Just report bugs. Now to add more bugs to the list.... but sometime after CES ;)
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I didnt read every thing of it yet but be sure you have something in there about the Emblems bug.
_-Tester-_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _-Tester-_
Member since 2006 • 288 Posts
Rock blocked GS/GF from his computer, as said by people who know him on GF.

And I got an error while quoting you _Sam_, I received the error "Messages from different topics cannot be quoted" and I couldn't post afterwards even when I refreshed the page.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#16 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33300 Posts
What about the Level 20 glitch and stuff?
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
Are these all the bugs?
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14471 Posts
Centering and Bullets: The center and bullet tools in the WYSIWYG Editor don't work. In the post the change is successfull, but the center or bullet disappears when you submit the post._Sam_

Several points on the list might be outdated anyway, but I'm sure this has been fixed.

Test:
Test:

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Test:
Centred text

EDIT: Okay, bullet points have been fixed, but the text align for centre hasn't. Though I've also heard of neither working in blog posts.
death_bagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 death_bagel
Member since 2006 • 3449 Posts

I kinda added on to the level glitches, you can copy and paste it in the reserved space.

Level Glitches

Known so far.....

Level 1 Glitch- You simply return to level 1 (0%) for a while. It can be from 5 minutes, up to a day.

Level 6 Glitch- It seems that this glitch makes you go from level 6 to level 7 in one or two days.  But sometimes it makes level 7 dreadful.

Level 16 Glitch- This is also like the level 6 glitch, but it usualy is skipped.  In some rare cases you dont get this glitch but this is also a part of the level 20 glitch.

Level 20 Glitch- If this happens to you then level 20 is your worst nightmare. It takes a while to get through. Usually somewhere around 40 days to get past this level.

I give all the credit for this info to Soul and this thread.

_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _Sam_
Rock blocked GS/GF from his computer, as said by people who know him on GF.

And I got an error while quoting you _Sam_, I received the error "Messages from different topics cannot be quoted" and I couldn't post afterwards even when I refreshed the page.
_-Tester-_
That's very odd. what exactly did you try to quote?
What about the Level 20 glitch and stuff?TAMKFan
it's up there. what do you need to know
Are these all the bugs?LTomlinson21
Most of it. That's where you guys come into play ;)
[QUOTE="_Sam_"]Centering and Bullets: The center and bullet tools in the WYSIWYG Editor don't work. In the post the change is successfull, but the center or bullet disappears when you submit the post.EJ902

Several points on the list might be outdated anyway, but I'm sure this has been fixed.

Test:
Test:

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Test:
Centred text

EDIT: Okay, bullet points have been fixed, but the text align for centre hasn't. Though I've also heard of neither working in blog posts.

thanks, I'll change that

I kinda added on to the level glitches, you can copy and paste it in the reserved space.

death_bagel

Right now, I don't think it's necessary since not a lot of people have been asking about those other glitches, but I might do it anyway ;)
_-Tester-_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _-Tester-_
Member since 2006 • 288 Posts
[QUOTE="_-Tester-_"]Rock blocked GS/GF from his computer, as said by people who know him on GF.

_Sam_
That's very odd. what exactly did you try to quote?

I tried quoting this:
I'm going to do this thread again. rock disapeared, so I'm taking over_Sam_

It's strange, because it works now
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14471 Posts
That happened to me as well. I just used quick quote and copied and pasted it, though.
death_bagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 death_bagel

Level Glitches

Known so far.....

Level 1 Glitch- You simply return to level 1 (0%) for a while. It can be from 5 minutes, up to a day.

Level 6 Glitch- It seems that this glitch makes you go from level 6 to level 7 in one or two days.  But sometimes it makes level 7 dreadful.

Level 16 Glitch- This is also like the level 6 glitch, but it usualy is skipped.  In some rare cases you dont get this glitch but this is also a part of the level 20 glitch.

Level 20 Glitch- If this happens to you then level 20 is your worst nightmare. It takes a while to get through. Usually somewhere around 40 days to get past this level.

I give all the credit for this info to Soul and this thread.

death_bagel
I know just saying , maybe theres a user out there, treading and crying because he has been at level 20 for a month and doesnt know what is happening :P
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
not 100% sure if its a glitch, but the little Leader / Officer things that appear next to peoples names in unions arn't appearing. Its really no big deal since it doesnt make a difference (the powers are still there), but it just seems weird to me
Chewchachoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chewchachoman
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts
I can't see my sig. Can you beacause I can't. Help me out.
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _Sam_
It's strange, because it works now
_-Tester-_
I guess it was just a temporary bug
I know just saying , maybe theres a user out there, treading and crying because he has been at level 20 for a month and doesnt know what is happening :Pdeath_bagel
well the level 20 issue is mentioned already. and also I'm not sure what I'm doing with the rest of the reserved places yet. I need to think ;)
not 100% sure if its a glitch, but the little Leader / Officer things that appear next to peoples names in unions arn't appearing. Its really no big deal since it doesnt make a difference (the powers are still there), but it just seems weird to mePhantom5800
Thanks, I'll add it
I can't see my sig. Can you beacause I can't. Help me out.Chewchachoman
what is supposed to be there. I see text
Chewchachoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chewchachoman
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts
[QUOTE="_-Tester-_"]It's strange, because it works now
_Sam_
I know just saying , maybe theres a user out there, treading and crying because he has been at level 20 for a month and doesnt know what is happening :Pdeath_bagel
well the level 20 issue is mentioned already. and also I'm not sure what I'm doing with the rest of the reserved places yet. I need to think ;)
not 100% sure if its a glitch, but the little Leader / Officer things that appear next to peoples names in unions arn't appearing. Its really no big deal since it doesnt make a difference (the powers are still there), but it just seems weird to mePhantom5800
Thanks, I'll add it

there is supposed to be a picture there as well. SSBB related. I can't even see the text,
death_bagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 death_bagel
[QUOTE="_Sam_"][QUOTE="_-Tester-_"]It's strange, because it works now
Chewchachoman
Thanks, I'll add it

there is supposed to be a picture there as well. SSBB related. I can't even see the text,

that doesnt make it a glitch. maybe you forgot to click apply changes or something.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LTomlinson21

The bullet points work sometimes and don't at other times.  They seem to always be out of whack.

Mattjs95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mattjs95
Member since 2006 • 4307 Posts
in the unions the leader and officer things arent showing up any more and there is only the orange mod thing for forum mods please fix this this has been going on for a week now
death_bagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 death_bagel
in the unions the leader and officer things arent showing up any more and there is only the orange mod thing for forum mods please fix this this has been going on for a week nowMattjs95
yeah, this has been happening to the forums of unions and the temp mods of WN.  The only thing to do is wait until either Gamespot fixes this bug or the bug fixes itself.
Dzjaansis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dzjaansis
Member since 2002 • 27689 Posts
Incoming memberships requests at Sanctuary union cannot be accepted, or continue to show after accepting
danteliveson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 danteliveson
Member since 2004 • 6162 Posts
the trivia and questions section of on the spot is not showing up.

Mattjs95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mattjs95
when  i go to my profile it says Profile views: 17 (+2 new)   when earlier today it said like 200 or 300 hundred somthingi dont have 117 views wtf
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LTomlinson21
[QUOTE="Mattjs95"]when  i go to my profile it says Profile views: 17 (+2 new)   when earlier today it said like 200 or 300 hundred somthingi dont have 117 views wtfMattjs95
and now it dosent even show the views at all

The views should be fully fixed by tomorrow morning.
death_bagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 death_bagel
Calm down, its no big deal. Tevian and VinceL are probably tweeking and fixing this glitch. It should be good sooner or later and like VinceL said either way, when its done all the profile views will be returned.
123Dan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 123Dan123
Member since 2003 • 14078 Posts
How did you get the Table of Contents like that? Like click on it and then it brings you down to the msg. I know you need a msg ID, but how do you get the msg ID?
Mattjs95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mattjs95
ok the profile glitch i was complaning about is fixed
nickolaslai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 nickolaslai
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
i got a problem with my emblems. it keeps dissaparing after the server refreshes. anyone got any ideas about this glitch / bug?
MCLMFMF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MCLMFMF
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
i got a problem with my emblems. it keeps dissaparing after the server refreshes. anyone got any ideas about this glitch / bug?nickolaslai

I'm having the same problem. I earn an emblem and then the next day it is gone. So now the only emblem I have is the gamespot total access emblem. Any ideas?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#45 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
the search bar is giving me problems. it's not searching like it used to. now to find a game, you need to type in the whole title. so to get to the game space for scarface, you need to type "scraface the world is yours." can we have it go back to searching everything like it used to?
T-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46 T-Prime
Member since 2003 • 995 Posts

My reviews and game ratings all disappeared. Not devasting or anything, but when I tried puting some back they didn't show up and still haven't as of right now. I thought they'd just vanished from the bottom of my blog but they've actually vanished altogether.

EDIT: 15 minutes later and they've returned. It may be because I was on Firefox before, but I'm on Internet Explorer now and everything's fine. Sorry.

Xythos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Xythos09
Member since 2005 • 2458 Posts
I noticed that different things across the site have different spacing. Some forum messages have the text close together, while others have it more spaced out.
UltraZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UltraZero
Member since 2005 • 112042 Posts
There is a union glitch In every union i go to, the leader and officer tags are not visible in the forums.
PsycoticPsymon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PsycoticPsymon
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts
the search bar is giving me problems. it's not searching like it used to. now to find a game, you need to type in the whole title. so to get to the game space for scarface, you need to type "scraface the world is yours." can we have it go back to searching everything like it used to?BuryMe
I'm having the same problem. I used to just type the first words of the game, but now I have to type the whole title. I agree lets get it back to the way it was.
Wren28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wren28
Member since 2005 • 27811 Posts

I know the game list has been mentioned, but one minute I have 7 games in my collection, then 9 and then none.

Also, I had my sig absolutely perfect for months and then yesterday it messed up so I had to take stuff out to fix the problem...I didn't adjust anything myself until after it messed up, it just went all messed up on its own.