Forum post counts seem to be off.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79420 Posts

I was looking at my favorites list, and one of the boards I post at, The Conversation Station went from something like 36 or 37k to over 50k, and The Open Communication Center was well over 100k when I last looked at it, and now it's around 60k. Has anyone else noticed forum post counts changing? Oh yeah, The Virtual Underground jumped to well over 115k, but I have no idea what it was before, I'm sure it wasn't anywhere that high.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts
JPL do you have a screen shot?
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MoonFoxx
Member since 2005 • 76355 Posts

Here is a screen shot. Since The Conversation Station is my board he's referring to.

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Yesterday morning my UCB only had 35,688 posts.. so there is no way it could have over 50,000.

Also The Open Communication Center should have over 100,000, but as you can see it's down to 62,000.

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed this in several boards. In my union, the Social Cafe Union we went from having 315,000 posts to 297,000 posts.
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I don't follow any UCBs closely enough to know what to make of this, but I'm wondering if this only affects UCBs, and if it might have just been the result of some kind of thread purge/recount or something. It's not necessarily an easy thing to figure out, but does anyone know if the post counts being shown now agree with what you'd get if you actually went through all the listed threads and added up their posts? I have no technical justification for thinking there's a connection to the ripples that went through the forums yesterday, but the observations are suspiciously proximal...

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 julian_jr
It's not just UCBs since my union lost a good 18K posts or so.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146078 Posts
I don't follow any UCBs closely enough to know what to make of this, but I'm wondering if this only affects UCBs, and if it might have just been the result of some kind of thread purge/recount or something. It's not necessarily an easy thing to figure out, but does anyone know if the post counts being shown now agree with what you'd get if you actually went through all the listed threads and added up their posts? I have no technical justification for thinking there's a connection to the ripples that went through the forums yesterday, but the observations are suspiciously proximal...

gmax
As Julian said below it has also affected unions, and from looking through my UCB, The Open Communication Center I don't see where any threads were purged from my UCB, I went back all 6 pages and it doesn't look like anything is missing. I noticed it yesterday when I came from work but figured I would give it time before saying anything. I have a theory I will be looking into here shortly about the post count issue for the overall board. But if what I am thinking isn't it then I will go through and manually add up all the thread post counts to see for 100% clarification if any threads were purged or recounted.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 double_decker
Ok, I just went through and added up the total of all the threads in my UCB, and it added up to 62,245. On the main page it shows 62,172. Which doesn't add up, but also I had a large Roll Call moved from my UCB to The Cafe Lounge which is ironically julian_jr's Union. I don't recall off hand what the total was of the Roll Call when it was moved from my UCB to his Union but I do know it was several months back and by the looks of the different between my UCB's post count and added up all the threads must have been around 40K posts before it was moved. I hope this helps in any way to help find the solution for what happen to the overall board counts. If it was just a purge then thank you for taking the time to listen to us and keep us up to date on what's going on with the boards. :)
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gmax  Moderator
Ok, so Unions as well as UCBs may be affected. I have a couple unions on my favorites but offhand I didn't notice a big change. Do you guys think it might have been a purge? Seems unlikely if all the threads are still there... Does everyone still have about the same number of pages of posting history?

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 julian_jr
@D_D: It's actually in fastest' UCB, it was never in my union. ;)

@gmax: It's not a purge since I can see the very first thread that I created in the union still, and the amount of pages hasn't changed at all. I'm not sure about the amount of pages of my posting history however, since I rarely check that up, and wouldn't have a clue if it changed. I'm thinking this may have to do with yesterday's problem with the dates on posts. It could have also messed up the post counts for some boards and the admins may not have noticed that.

EDIT: Actually, I think I may have found the problem. I noticed from D_D's post where he though that big thread was moved to my place, that the board where it was actually moved to got a 41K jump in posts. The posts transferred even though the posting had occured at the other board, and the same must have happened for my union and the various other boards that had the count changed. I don't know why the posts that had been made in the original board would transfer though to the new board, since that has never happened before (and that thread was moved over a year ago) so it would have to be a glitch that the posts transfer now so late, when that has never happened before in the past.
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MoonFoxx

You guys have me completely lost :? What does a purge do?

David and Julian are going on about their boards, but how does it explain mine GAINS 14k posts when I didn't delete or add anything to my board.. since June 2006 :? I moved a bunch of topics in June 2006 from my old union before I deleted it. So are they just NOW showing up or what?!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JustPlainLucas
Well, if a thread purge might have been the cause of post counts dropping, how do you explain how some boards GAINED posts? That's what has me really confused.
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MoonFoxx
Well, if a thread purge might have been the cause of post counts dropping, how do you explain how some boards GAINED posts? That's what has me really confused.JustPlainLucas
Well like I said in my above you post.. I moved a ton of topics from an old union I once had 3 1/2 years ago, and they never added into my UCB's post count. So maybe they finally got added in?? Who knows. Guess I'll just go with it then cuz it COULD be possible that happened, which explains a lot for me.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

You guys have me completely lost :? What does a purge do?

David and Julian are going on about their boards, but how does it explain mine GAINS 14k posts when I didn't delete or add anything to my board.. since June 2006 :? I moved a bunch of topics in June 2006 from my old union before I deleted it. So are they just NOW showing up or what?!

I'm sure that's pretty much it. Knowing it takes three and a half years to update something isn't that surprising considering how glitched this place it. :lol:
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MoonFoxx
I'm sure that's pretty much it. Knowing it takes three and a half years to update something isn't that surprising considering how glitched this place it. :lol:JustPlainLucas
Goodness :? Well, maybe you Paul and me could work together and count up the posts at the board and include all the old topics and see what we end up with.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JustPlainLucas
Well like I said in my above you post.. I moved a ton of topics from an old union I once had 3 1/2 years ago, and they never added into my UCB's post count. So maybe they finally got added in?? Who knows. Guess I'll just go with it then cuz it COULD be possible that happened, which explains a lot for me.MoonFoxx
If that's the case.. then it means your 30,000 post party wasn't legitimate.. :(
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MoonFoxx
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"] If that's the case.. then it means your 30,000 post party wasn't legitimate.. :(

Hey, if we add everything up and it does come to 50k plus posts.. we can have a 50k party :)
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 julian_jr
I think that's what may have happened, although I don't see why the posts would transfer as well from board to board since they were done in a different board. I'm currently testing it with an old UCB of a friend, to see if my suspicions are right or not.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 double_decker
I think that's what may have happened, although I don't see why the posts would transfer as well from board to board since they were done in a different board. I'm currently testing it with an old UCB of a friend, to see if my suspicions are right or not. julian_jr
Looks like you could be right since the numbers come close enough and you said on my board after testing that it changes the count now so something they did lately fixed it not changing before. Although it's not exact it's close enough definitly be possible that is the problem. I definitly wonder what the official announcement will be from the staff once they figure out exactly what happened is. Guess I'll just have to stay tuned over the next few days. :)
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gmax  Moderator
I have no idea what has been going on in the guts of the system, but a little earlier I went through several of the UCBs listed in MoonFoxx's screen capture, and I added up all the posts shown for each thread in the topic listings. The totals are all very close to what is shown in MoonFoxx's screen capture. The totals I got were slightly larger, which makes sense since more posts were added between the screen cap and my calculations. So the total values being shown now (like in MoonFoxx's screen capture) seem to agree with the number of posts shown in the topic listings. If you believe the topic listings are accurate, then I think you can believe that the totals you are seeing now are also fairly accurate - at least to within a reasonably close tolerance. This tends to suggest that earlier values, if significantly different, were probably significantly in error.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 double_decker
The tends to suggest that earlier values, if significantly different, were probably significantly in error.

gmax
Makes sense to me, just took a few years for the glitch of not changing the board count when threads were moved to correct itself. Better late than never?:P Thank you for taking the time to look into this for us. :)
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I noticed this too. A user named SoraX64 informed me our post count at the union I lead, All-Out Nintendo, is supposed to be about 139k or so, but our post count is only, for some reason 115k. I wouldn't mind if the count was off by just a few thousand, but that big a difference bugs me a little. :P
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gmax  Moderator
I just added up the post totals for your union, and I got 115699. I still suspect that the older values were off, and evidently off by quite a bit in some cases. So I don't think we've got a new issue - I think we might have gotten rid of an old one we didn't know about.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I noticed this too. A user named SoraX64 informed me our post count at the union I lead, All-Out Nintendo, is supposed to be about 139k or so, but our post count is only, for some reason 115k. I wouldn't mind if the count was off by just a few thousand, but that big a difference bugs me a little. :PCloud_765
How many topics have you had moved away / taken away?
Avatar image for papermariofan57
papermariofan57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 papermariofan57
Member since 2008 • 121959 Posts
My union has the same issue. It had over 71k posts, and currently it has 69k. It lost around 2k posts in one day, without erasin any kind of threads. Also I had notice that several boards, or unions doesn't have the blogs listed there anymore. They were like erased, and the hot threads in my union are not there anymore. They were like 8, and none of them is there anymore.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
[QUOTE="gmax"]I just added up the post totals for your union, and I got 115699. I still suspect that the older values were off, and evidently off by quite a bit in some cases. So I don't think we've got a new issue - I think we might have gotten rid of an old one we didn't know about.

Yeah, I re-did my count and got around that. I must have accidentally added a big thread twice.