Comment in news "Pending" getting really annoying.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Stiler
Member since 2003 • 701 Posts

Am I the only one that gets this from time to time even when I don't:

1. Post a url

2. Use "naughty" words.

I'll just type in my thoughts on the news article, go to post a comment and then see the dreaded "Pending" after it post.

The problem with this is that pending comments seem to take forever to be approved and by the time they are the news is days and days old and thus defeats the purpose and point when no one reads or sees it.

I understand having it when people post urls and use coarse language, but when neither are present int he comment WHY does it have to be approved???

For example here is my recent comment I tried to post on the recent Nintendo article about "boring" sameness in games:

"

I'm sorry, but this seems like PR speak to me.

Is he really trying to say it's boring for a console to have full third party support and he finds it boring to have a console where the users can get multi-platform games and he prefers Nintendo to not have that and instead be stuck with good first party and then a bunch of crappy third party shovelware games?

I'm sorry but It makes no sense either way, business sense or "boring."

If Nintendo was up to par against ps4/xbox and had full third party support like they do they could STILL Have their first party Mario/Smash Bros/Zelda, while STILL offering players the ability to play all the major third party games.

To me it sounds like he's trying to spin not having third party support as a "good" thing because it's "Boring."

I'm sure it's all boring to the millions of consumers who (like me) would love to play new Zelda/Mario but don't want to waste money on a console that would be used once in a blue moon for those titles and then sit iin the closest for years until the next one comes out, it'd be kind of nice to have the ability to play all the other decent AAA multi-platform games on top of all the first party Nintendo games.

It's about value to most consumers, they see the Wii U, and it's lack of major Third party games, vs PS4/XBone that's both more powerful and has both their respective first party titles PLUS third party titles and it's a simple more value then the Wii offers."

Where on earth in there should I have to wait for approval to post that?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

The profanity filter seems to be extremely sensitive these days. Probably your use of "crappy" that triggered the pending status.

Anyway, I went ahead and approved it for you. Sorry for the trouble.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:

The profanity filter seems to be extremely sensitive these days. Probably your use of "crappy" that triggered the pending status.

Anyway, I went ahead and approved it for you. Sorry for the trouble.

I don't know why the comment filters are different than the forum filters, but you may want to mention to the devs that they need to be harmonious. It's ridiculous for the comment sensor to be THAT sensitive.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: Comments are powered by Livefyre, forums are powered by GS/GB/CV's platform. But yes, Livefyre is a massive headache.

Stiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stiler
Member since 2003 • 701 Posts

@c_rakestraw: Thank you for the approval.

Will try to curb my use of that word lol.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Stiler: I've been dealing with "pending" problem for years. I don't get it.

Plus, I'm certain there is at least one relatively new moderator (got promoted during the site change era) that went through and deleted a bunch of my posts in articles over a long period of time.

That was a strange finding. Going to older articles and seeing my posts deleted. So, when my posts aren't pending, I still risk my post being deleted by who ever that is deleting my posts. It's so strange.

DaBatman617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By DaBatman617
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Why does there even have to be any sort of "filter"? It is ridiculous, highly childish and quite frankly insulting. Gamespot is treating its members like naughty children and frankly it is insulting and one of the reason why I quit coming here and moved to IGN and the Angry Joe message boards. I get the pending status on comments that do not even have any sort of confrontational language (words like "crappy") and it is also ridiculous when someone who replied to a comment of yours insults you but then when you reply you get hit with the "pending" status because you said some word like "dumb". You guys used to have a weekly show that insulted everyone who commented and now you just censor everyone who uses a word that even remotely comes off as confrontational. I am deactivating my account and not coming back to this site until this problem is fixed. I do not come on a video game website to be treated as a 6 year old prepubescent, I come to discuss video games, the industry, the hardware and the lifestyle, weather that discussion is friendly, a debate, or even an argument, no one should block someone's words, maybe the people who run Gamespot live in some communist country where blocking freedom of speech is encouraged, but where i live, in the FREE country of America we look at is as a gross insult and a spit in the face.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I am deactivating my account and not coming back to this site until this problem is fixed. ~ DaBatman617

This isn't a bug, not with the site anyway. Unfortunately, there are people out there who are unable to conduct themselves appropriately. To avoid temptation, we have a list of words that are "blocked" from the comments.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that it clearly states in the CBSi Terms of Use:

Transmit [Post] any material that is inappropriate, profane, vulgar, offensive, false, disparaging, defamatory, obscene, illegal, sexually explicit, racist, that promotes violence, racial hatred, or terrorism, or that we deem, in our sole discretion, to be otherwise objectionable.

Additionally, it states in our Community Code of Conduct:

While swearing is (to an extent) permitted on the site in general, try to keep it classy and refrain from using any vulgar language that would offend someone else. Racial slurs or Hate Speech are not allowed and any person caught using them will be banned. Explicitly sexual or profane descriptions and writing are not allowed. Profanity directed in an attack against another member is subject to the same considerations as flaming and trolling (see above).