This topic is locked from further discussion.

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Davyvfr
Member since 2008 • 789 Posts

Hello,

For some reason I can't view any avatars. (not even mine) Its just a blank grey picture. Why is this? I am using Firefox latest version and Safari has the same issue.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
Are avatars the only images you can't see?
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts
Seems to be happening with me as well. I'd assume the problem is with gamespot's image hosting, it seems to be down and that explains the blanks. If you want to see your avatar, I suggest moving your avatar to a image hosting site, such as photobucket or tinypic. :)
TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 TazmanianD
Member since 2002 • 1476 Posts

Yeah, I seem to be having the same problem. I can see some other users' avatars but not yours (Davyvfr) or my mine. I looked in some other threads and I can see some but not others. I cleared my browser cache to see if the ones I could see were simply cached and if they would all disappear but that didn't seem to matter. After that, I was able to still see some of them. Mine was an animated gif if that could possibly make any difference.

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Davyvfr
Member since 2008 • 789 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I mean't to say "black" image instead of "gray". I will upload image to hosting site.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I mean't to say "black" image instead of "gray". I will upload image to hosting site.

Davyvfr
Yes, this got reported earlier this week. Staff have this in their queue to investigate further. .
BasilVZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#7 BasilVZero
Member since 2006 • 1971 Posts

Apparently, just noticed this lol.

But I've also noticed that it seems like its only affecting half of the users at least in my view, some of the members' avatars can be seen while the ones that cant be seen are shaded in gray.

Just a FYI.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
But I've also noticed that it seems like its only affecting half of the users at least in my view, some of the members' avatars can be seen while the ones that cant be seen are shaded in gray.BasilVZero
The issue is with avatars (and everything else) hosted on userimage.gamespot.com. It is possible to host avatars elsewhere; users who do so are unaffected by this issue. The underlying reasons may or may not be the same, but in terms of symptoms this is essentially a return of this issue. I kept wanting to start a new thread, but never did, and then that one got locked. So here we are.
Yes, this got reported earlier this week. Staff have this in their queue to investigate further. . JodyR
And that's what I was hoping we'd hear. With luck they'll get it figured out before too long. Edit: If the opportunity presents, perhaps this time they can also take a look at user video preview thumb nails and user video playback, which appear to be related to userimage.gamespot.com. [ref]

BasilVZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#9 BasilVZero
Member since 2006 • 1971 Posts

[QUOTE="BasilVZero"]But I've also noticed that it seems like its only affecting half of the users at least in my view, some of the members' avatars can be seen while the ones that cant be seen are shaded in gray.gmax
The issue is with avatars (and everything else) hosted on userimage.gamespot.com. It is possible to host avatars elsewhere; users who do so are unaffected by this issue. The underlying reasons may or may not be the same, but in terms of symptoms this is essentially a return of this issue. I kept wanting to start a new thread, but never did, and then that one got locked. So here we are.
Yes, this got reported earlier this week. Staff have this in their queue to investigate further. . JodyR
And that's what I was hoping we'd hear. With luck they'll get it figured out before too long. Edit: If the opportunity presents, perhaps this time they can also take a look at user video preview thumb nails and user video playback, which appear to be related to userimage.gamespot.com.

I see if that is the case, how do you use a image from another host? I tried copying the link from my photobucket account, doesnt seem to be working....and I keep getting the message "You need to select a file to upload" whenever I click on upload (after pasting it).

Edit: Also will the situation with userimage.gamespot.com be fixed? (since it affects banners as well to some extent) or are we gonna have to use the same method?

EDIT: Nvm, I figured it out lol, thank you. So apparently just copy+paste image link to the box above where you would upload image via browse on userimage.gamespot part and click on "Apply changes" below.