Can't See Snapshots in Full

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kyelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Kyelo
Member since 2013 • 1594 Posts

For as long as I can remember I haven't looked at galleries on GS because I can't see the full image. I get this...

...now, I have tried everything to scroll down including a mouse, touchpad, arrows etc but nothing works. I am left with a cropped image and a screen with seriously oversized adverts.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#2 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Well, the ad at the top is what is causing it (the other one on the right doesn't cause any issues directly as it fits in its allotted space properly), and even without ad block I find most of the time no ad even appears at the top for me - though I did manage to reproduce it with a rather large amount of refreshes. The only time it happened for me was with a flash ad (seems to be the same one every time - I imagine any flash ad with sufficient height would cause it though), which I have set to not run unless I allow it via chrome settings.

The ad area at a glance has only 110px height to work with, the flash ad I found (which may or may not be the same one as I couldn't get it to load properly even when I let flash run) is 970x250 though, so they stretch the height from 110px to 250px, eating up 140px that is normally used for the overlay (js-image-pane) part containing the image, enough to make the full size button get knocked off screen as well as a good chunk of the resized image that is shown by default.

Obviously either that ad placement needs changing or this particular ad needs removing from the rotation, as it's simply too large for the space it needs to fit in and is breaking the page as a result. That or the page itself could be changed to allow it to account for the height on the banner, but that's a rather undesirable option compared to not having such a large ad there to begin with.

In the meantime if this is occurring frequently for you I'd advise navigating to chrome://settings/content in chrome and setting plugins to click to play (auto-block is the same but without left click play functionality now as well I believe), this way you can easily run or hide flash applets via the placeholder (via context menu to hide) rather than having them auto-run and occasionally cause issues. This will of course affect video players and the like using flash by default too, but you can just click on them to run them as normal still.

Jojken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Jojken
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I also have this problem and it is a shame really. I don´t recall which plug-ins I use and for which purpose, but I do not have this kind of problem appearing on other web sites I visit frequently.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#4 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@kyelo: This doesn't look like ads we serve and you're the only one reporting this. Is there any possibility you have a malicious extension or your service provider is injecting its own ads?

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@edgework: Some of the visible technical data for the ones I could get to appear (which just infinitely shows a loading circle instead of actually loading for some reason, and only appears at most once in 10 page loads).

Placeholder info (trimmed):Chances are you don't need any of this, but just in case.

div id="js-image-ad-leader" => div id="overlay_leader_top-wrap" => div id="overlay_leader_top" with data-ad-event="image_view" and an empty style attribute OR (see next paragraph) style="display: none" => div id="google_ads_iframe_/8264/uk-gamespot/gamespace_1__container__" => iframe id (and name)="google_ads_iframe_/8264/uk-gamespot/gamespace_1" => appears on any gamespot.com/images/{image-id} page at a glance.

The only thing this really tells me is that the ad I'm getting is for the UK region, which I already knew (though forgot to mention previously). I'm unsure if the one in the screenshot is the same ad or not still as the ad never loads properly for me, though it does cause the same layout issue. This part of the html always appears and the 'ad' normally is just a script with style="background:transparent" in the body and nothing else and the display: none style mentioned above appears when this is the case as well - which is harmless, it's when the ads with details below appears in it that layout issues occur, and this is accompanied by an empty style attribute as mentioned above instead of one with display none set.

Specific Ad details:

advertiser_id=32381049, order_id=295691049, line_id=224534889, creative_id=67968131289 - from the comment within the ad code, which will hopefully be useful to pinpoint it. Comment also had width/height (970x250, mentioned in prev post) and position (top) in it. This seems to be the same for both ads I've managed to have appear now so I'm guessing is at best related to the placeholder slot.

The 1st (never fully loading for me) 970x250 ad itself appears to be from cdn.imrworldwide.com though many other general providers (serving.sys.com/z.moatads.com/d.agkn.com) appear within the ad code.

I tested with all extensions disabled and the same ad still appears, so it's not an extension issue. Only tested in chrome, though I doubt something like this would be browser specific. Willing to test if necessary. My ISP is BT, it's pretty unlikely they'd push ad content themselves and there's no immediate indication that it's from them either, they tend to be more along the lines of blocking more things that they probably should rather than adding stuff - it's something worth considering as the cause however.

2nd ad found: a 300x250 image ad (http://shasta.vizu.com/v6/psa2014/300x250/300x250_save.jpg) - the box region is still 970x250 (the top ad spot in the image above, as mentioned previously the other ad on the right side of the page causes no issues) but it's left-aligned within the box, and the height causes the same layout issue. This has vizi.com and savethechildren.org URLs in it in addition to general provider URLs that appear in both (serving.sys.com/z.moatads.com/d.agkn.com). This is the 1st time I got this one to appear (less than 20minutes ago at time of posting), and I've yet to manage to get it to appear again.

Kyelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kyelo

Thanks for all the replies, tried a few things but alas no joy. Just tried to watch the GDC Lobby feed and go this...

The scroll bar you can see only moves the left section of screen thus I can only see part of it. What makes it more frustrating is that if I don't allow the page to fully load ie cancel mid way, the top ad isn't there!

Meh will just have to make do I suppose, will try a different comp next week to see.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@kyelo: Curious, could you please provide the link to the page you're experiencing these types of ad takeovers? I just checked the image gallery for Far Cry 4 and this was the result I got while in Chrome:

Kyelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kyelo

@DigitalDame: It's defo weird, it's the only website I have that issue with. I am now watching the GDC Lobby link without issue but obviously it isn't a live feed and just looks like the normal website. Using your images just gives me the same issue. I'm in the UK btw.

The link for that Farcry 4 story is(looks/works fine): http://www.gamespot.com/articles/horrifying-looking-yetis-come-to-far-cry-4-next-mo/1100-6425549/

The part that gives me issues: http://www.gamespot.com/images/1300-2817807

Oddly if I copy/paste that 2nd link it gives me the image in full but no slideshow...

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@kyelo: That image of the lobby GDC stream shows a chrome placeholder for an applet, normally flash - it can be hidden by right clicking the applet and selecting to hide it, which should also adjust the position of objects to make everything as it should be. I've never had this occur in a stream (I thought streams didn't have ads at all any more for that matter), but that said I had never had it occur on image pages either until I actually tried to reproduce it. The lack of the slideshow when using the link directly for that image is expected - when clicking on an image in the gallery it's loaded over the top of the existing page - the X doesn't even load anything when clicked in this case, it merely removes the overlay to show the gallery again. When done from the link directly it's not from the image gallery but rather just a default image-loading background page so all the gallery-specific options disappear - it just loads the image from the ID in the URL and that's it.

-

I see DigitalDame gets appropriately sized ads in that top ad area - exactly what I'd expect to be there. For some reason in the UK though some ads that appear there are 250px high (and not always using the full width either) though - and break the page when the rotation lets them through as a result. As Kyelo is also in the UK I suspect it's probably UK specific - though I still found it rarely occurred, often producing no ad in the top ad placement, but always producing an unsuitably sized one (970x250 or 300x250 when there's only 110px of height to work with, not 250px) when an ad did appear. A mix up with the ad provider having the dimensions wrong and therefore providing the wrong ads perhaps? or maybe even just them not updating this one when the rotations for the US, etc in this placeholder were updated?

Kyelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kyelo

Just to let anyone know who is having this issue, the only fix I have found is by installing an adblock to my browser. I wouldn't have bothered(in fact never have)but was bugging me having to manually open every pic, loss is GS and others because they will be getting no ad revenue from me :p