BUG: Users being forced to the UK site(Update November 20th)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shtinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shtinky
Member since 2004 • 8416 Posts

My homepage is usually us.gamespot.com, and it has always been the US site that displayed, but recently regardless of using us.gamespot.com or gamespot.com i'm still redirected to the UK site. So what is the address of the US site? or what is the way to access the US site w/o being redirected?

I don't care for reading UK related news/previews etc or seeing UK banners or any UK games related things, and in the past you've been slow to update the UK site on the main page compared to the US one.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
This is happening to me too in regard to au.gamespot.com. All my bookmarks are pointed to us.gamespot.com so I have the correct (US) release dates. (and i'm an American living abroad so I only pay attention to US stuff).
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
You don't need to put 'us.' in the address. Just type gamespot.com.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

You don't need to put 'us.' in the address. Just type gamespot.com.spazzx625

gamespot.com re-directs foreign users based on I.P address, so if you are in the UK and enter gamespot.com you are directed to the UK site. The way around this is to enter us.gamespot.com, so you can go directly to the US site.

From time to time (more frequently recently) non-US users have been directed to their territorial site when entering us.gamespot.com (though it is working fine now). I suspect that it's because the US site was down for maintenance, so all traffic was being directed to one of the other regional sites. Not a big deal, just reporting it in case it was.

ScarlettIvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ScarlettIvy
Member since 2008 • 330 Posts
The US address was working fine but nowI'm getting redirected to the UK site no matter what I do. Why doesn't GS just allow its users to choose which region instead of deciding for them as if we are incapable of making the decision ourselves.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#6 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

[QUOTE="spazzx625"]You don't need to put 'us.' in the address. Just type gamespot.com.aspro73

gamespot.com re-directs foreign users based on I.P address, so if you are in the UK and enter gamespot.com you are directed to the UK site. The way around this is to enter us.gamespot.com, so you can go directly to the US site.

From time to time (more frequently recently) non-US users have been directed to their territorial site when entering us.gamespot.com (though it is working fine now). I suspect that it's because the US site was down for maintenance, so all traffic was being directed to one of the other regional sites. Not a big deal, just reporting it in case it was.

This seems to be happening rather sporadically, it's not personally a problem for me as I normally use the UK site regardless and know I can still access everything I want without using the US site, but obviously it's an issue that needs to be properly fixed for those that are currently living outside of the US but wish to use the US site. It's an understandable issue as www. is suppose to redirect while us. isn't, but the pages are completely identical aside from that really...could well be something as simple as a misplaced/incorrect meta-refresh, or something else entirely I suppose, but whatever the problem is it doesn't seem like it'd be something that's that hard to fix.
MrBungle2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrBungle2004
Member since 2004 • 67 Posts
Well, this is still happening. I want access to my "home" site whether I'm living abroad or not. Gamespot U.S is the site I want access to - and more importantly I paid a subscription fee so want access to the site I paid money for, regardless of how close the sites may appear. Hope this is fixed soon.
MrBungle2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrBungle2004

Just been having a mess around with various proxy servers and can access the U.S site fine that way so the U.S site should be available to anyone. But still being directed to the U.K version.

First they let free users have access to HD feeds despite paying members having renewed subscriptions, then the large video player gets shrunk in size for On The Spot - now I am forced to use the U.K site whether I like it or not.

It's not good enough and unless I am given free reign to choose what site I wish then my sub is getting cancelled. I suspect this is more about pandering to advertisers and making sure U.K users see U.k adverts than it is about giving loyal members the choice they deserve. I hope I am wrong on that one.

Can't someone from Gamespot give an answer as to whether americans abroad will be allowed access to the u.s site again? Proxies are a work around but don't allow you to sign in.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
This has started affecting me this morning too; it was fine yesterday. I can choose between the uk and au sites just fine, but not us. I had been trying to add a game to my list that's currently only got a US release date, yet since it's released as a download, it's available globally.
Lord_Enn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lord_Enn
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts
I've been experiencing this problem for the last three days, and I can't say that I'm happy. I'm living in Britain for another two years, as far as I know, but I'd still prefer to use the American version of GameSpot. To be honest, being forcibly redirected is unfair. I've always used the American version, and I intend to use continue using it. I'm disappointed, and I certainly wish we were permitted to use this gaming service as we pleased.
MrBungle2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrBungle2004

Well the biggest non-surprise in all this, is that once again tech support fail to give any "support". Why hasn't anyone answered this - there is little to no point in having this section of the forum if no one is prepared to answer any questions.

I won't be renewing my sub thats for sure. I actually prefer - shock horror - to visit U.S sites that actually allow me to view their U.S content.

I'll get my homesickness fix elsewhere.

MrBungle2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrBungle2004
Has everyone who posted here happy to be ignored like this then? Nearly 2 weeks since the topic was started and not a single response from tech support. Sterling job there!
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Has everyone who posted here happy to be ignored like this then? Nearly 2 weeks since the topic was started and not a single response from tech support. Sterling job there!MrBungle2004
This is getting as bad as us posting in Ask the Mods asking users if they reported someone.

As I have always stated right in this very forum. If I do NOT have an answer I am NOT going to post for the hell of it. That is useless. I DO read all posts though.You may want to try contacting CS.

Darkknight313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Darkknight313
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts
I too am having this problem also I'm hoping it will be fixed soon.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dracula68

I too am having this problem also I'm hoping it will be fixed soon.Darkknight313

I reported this but we have to try and see if someone can replicate it. I tried different browsers, logged in, logged out and it won't re-direct me.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

[QUOTE="Darkknight313"]I too am having this problem also I'm hoping it will be fixed soon.Dracula68

I reported this but we have to try and see if someone can replicate it. I tried different browsers, logged in, logged out and it won't re-direct me.

You're in the US aren't you? so it shouldn't redirect you anyway, it's merely the US site is redirecting everyone that has a valid site relating to their geographical location when it's not already the US (using IP addresses to determine location - an IP mask/proxy server/similar method doesn't always work when trying to imitate a foreign IP address though, best to use a computer with an IP address that is actually from one of the affected areas). Meaning this only effects users in the UK, AU, CN, JP, KR, NL, etc., areas. It is bypassable via proxy servers and the like, but that's obviously not a suitable solution to the problem. Only way I can think of that will almost certainly replicate it is someone living in the UK/AU/etc., and even then there's no guarantee if they're connected to a local database containing the GS site data.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dracula68
[QUOTE="Dracula68"]

[QUOTE="Darkknight313"]I too am having this problem also I'm hoping it will be fixed soon.robbristow

You're in the US aren't you? so it shouldn't redirect you anyway, it's merely the US site is redirecting everyone that has a valid site relating to their geographical location when it's not already the US (using IP addresses to determine location - an IP mask/proxy server/similar method doesn't always work when trying to imitate a foreign IP address though, best to use a computer with an IP address that is actually from one of the affected areas). Meaning this only effects users in the UK, AU, CN, JP, KR, NL, etc., areas. It is bypassable via proxy servers and the like, but that's obviously not a suitable solution to the problem. Only way I can think of that will almost certainly replicate it is someone living in the UK/AU/etc., and even then there's no guarantee if they're connected to a local database containing the GS site data.

Ah, thanks for that info. I should have realised that...lol I will pass it on to the proper folks and now maybe someone can replicate it properly.

Sondra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Sondra
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts

Lee does an amazing job living in the forums and attending to issues. For that we are all very grateful. He has brought this situation to our attention and we apologise that this is happening, and are working to resolve the issue. In this case, the problem is not obvious, and since we all work in the US, it might be more difficult to troubleshoot.

I would like to propose a tentative solution in the mean time. Please use this URL to access the US site if you are stuck on another site:

http://www.gamespot.com?set_ad_region=us

Notice the "set_ad_region" paremeter. If you wanted to go to another site, then switch out "us" with "uk" or "au", alternatively.

IF IT DOES NOT WORK for you, then please post.

Darkknight313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Darkknight313
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

Lee does an amazing job living in the forums and attending to issues. For that we are all very grateful. He has brought this situation to our attention and we apologise that this is happening, and are working to resolve the issue. In this case, the problem is not obvious, and since we all work in the US, it might be more difficult to troubleshoot.

I would like to propose a tentative solution in the mean time. Please use this URL to access the US site if you are stuck on another site:

Notice the "set_ad_region" paremeter. If you wanted to go to another site, then switch out "us" with "uk" or "au", alternatively.

Sondra
It doesn't work my computer says address not valid.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
[QUOTE="Sondra"]

Darkknight313
It doesn't work my computer says address not valid.

Slightly sloppy work on the link is all, tried to use the / start to get the automatic addition of the domain part, but it doesn't work with ?s on these forums, taking /? as just the start of the address (after the protocol) rather than as the domain and then the ?...just the way the GS forums work I guess..even gets the staff members now and then, though it does work ok for the most part..anyway, copying the URL as text rather than copying the link would still work, but it's easier just to click here: http://www.gamespot.com?set_ad_region=us; however, it doesn't seem to work, redirecting to the UK site regardless in my case. I am familiar with setting such parameters (getting to know the hidden ones is handy for giving links to people on the site that show a set of unions via a specific search for instance), but it would seem that one doesn't work; exact characters is very important in them, so perhaps that's the issue? or it may even be simply that the redirect to the uk.gamespot.com?set_ad_region=us causes a clash in variables and the domain takes priority. At most it seems to be causing problems with the adverts, so I'd say that attempt at a workaround isn't working...are there any other variables relating to area on the site that may work? I could look through the source myself I guess but GS staff would have a better idea of what it might be, and besides, I don't really have the time atm.
Sondra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Sondra
Member since 2006 • 179 Posts

Ok, I found out that the solution I proposed was deprecated. I'm sorry about that. I've spoken with an engineer who said to create a bug. I will do that and close this thread. No guarantees on when this will be fixed as I have no say in bug prioritization; however, we will make all efforts to see that it receives the attention it deserves.

BUG: GME-3635

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dracula68

I re-opened this thread for feedback. I was told this should be fixed so can anybody that was having problems before confirm please?

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

I re-opened this thread for feedback. I was told this should be fixed so can anybody that was having problems before confirm please?

Dracula68
Just checked and it does indeed appear to be fixed, 1 less bug to annoy people...too bad there's almost always loads of them here :?
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dracula68
[QUOTE="Dracula68"]

robbristow

Just checked and it does indeed appear to be fixed, 1 less bug to annoy people...too bad there's almost always loads of them here :?

Yeah,the Devs are working hard to knock them off but it just sems that they grow exponentially no matter what.

Alright, gonna un-pin this for now but I'll leave it open.

dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
Yep, looks fixed to me too. Cheers GS.
megagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 megagood
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
The other option is to delete your GameSpot cookies. If you need help doing that, please let us know. IP targeting is one way we know which site to show you, but we also do it via cookie - sometimes somebody gets the "I'm in the UK" cookie, deleting it should remove the problem.
Shtinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shtinky
Member since 2004 • 8416 Posts

Yeah, seems to working alright now, I didn't bother checking this topic cause I thought lots of GS sheep would troll or just tell me to deal w/ it. Nice to know I had some backup and the problem has now been resolved.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dracula68

Yeah, seems to working alright now, I didn't bother checking this topic cause I thought lots of GS sheep would troll or just tell me to deal w/ it. Nice to know I had some backup and the problem has now been resolved.

Shtinky
Please don't use those terms outside of SW forum as that is troolling in itself., Thanks!