BUG: Sometimes I Cannot Type in the Editor Under Quotes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

As stated in the topic, there are times when I quote another user and I am unable to input anything at all into the area under stated quotation. I can quote other people, but I am unable to get a text bar there. Because all anyone would see in a screenshot would be a normal looking webpage (Without the text bar, mind you), taking one would not serve much purpose. If this error could be fixed, I am sure GameStop users would feel like posting without any hesitation because of this preventing us from holding a decent conversation.

larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#2 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

@BranKetra: Can you provide any further details? Links to pages where this happens, and which posts this happens on would go a long way, as would details about what browser, browser version, and OS you're using.

Thanks!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 branketra

@LarkAnderson: I will give what information I can, but some of it might be too vague. Firstly, this bug only occurs in forum threads. I have not ever experienced it occurring on LiveFyre. Next, the vague part is that I have not noticed any particular similarities between posts I quote which cause that inability to insert text below quotes other than they being forum posts by users I would like to reply to. My browser is Firefox 28.0 and OS is Windows 8 (64-bit).

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@BranKetra:

As a workaround, ensure the text input area contains a couple of "newline" entries (line breaks), and navigate the input cursor to the second to last before hitting the "Quote" button - this will ensure that there is a new line beneath the quote to continue your input.

E.g.

@BranKetra said:

... inability to insert text below quotes other than they being forum posts by users I would like to reply to.

[new line]

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 branketra

@s_h_a_d_o: I actually have been using that workaround. I thought of it shortly after I first experienced it. Thank you, though.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#6  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

This happens when the quote is placed at the very bottom and there's no new-lines under it (no paragraph tags after it in the equivalent html, to be more precise). Personally, more often than not I find the opposite occurs - you can't enter text above the quote without moving it down, as opposed to being unable to enter text below it without moving it up. The issues are essentially identical however thanks to the U(p)/D(own) position buttons.

You can technically still type under a quote when this happens by simply moving the quote up - adding an empty new line above the quote using the return key above the quote, hover over the quote and click the U button in the position section of the pop-up, this will move it up 1 paragraph section, which as you used return to add a newline, simply puts it above that new line, essentially moving the new line below the quote. This can also be used to add lines between 2 quotes as well of course.

Similarly, when unable to type above a quote you can add an extra line below it and then move the quote down, allowing text entry both above and below.

You should always be able to type either above or below a quote unless you delete all of the content above a quote after placing it and not being able to immediately add content under it - and provided you can do one, you can use the other simply by adding an extra new line then using the U/D position buttons for the quote to move it between lines/between gaps between paragraph tag pairs.

Easiest reproduction for being unable to post above/below quotes would be:

i) put in any random brief text and quote a random message.

ii) move the quote up

iii) delete the extra line at the bottom below the random text you entered previously.

iv) move the quote back down

v) delete the line above that had text in it using the delete key until it disappears/joins with the quote box.

You can no longer add message content above or below the quote as of part (v) being complete, and you can no longer add text under the quote without 1st moving the quote back up as of part (iv) being complete.

If part (v) is complete then the only way to correct it is the delete everything to trigger the automatic p tag addition when something is 1st added to the message.

Note that realistically this should never happen unless done intentionally, certainly not all the way to part (v) being complete, anyway. Part (iv) and prior can be reversed so long as part (v) is not complete as well:

a) after part (iv) above is complete, move the quote back up, reversing part (iv)

b) add an extra line at the bottom underneath the random text, reversing part (iii)

c) move the quote down, reversing part (ii)

d) You're left with text entered at the top, a quote, and the ability to enter text underneath - of course that can all be deleted to reduce it to a blank slate as well if desired.

Long story short: this occurs because paragraph tags sometimes only exist either above (or below) the quote - using the U/D position buttons after simply adding additional lines/paragraph tags is the easiest way to correct that on the spot.

Personally, I see this more as a lack of clarity than an actual bug, however one way to avoid this clarity issue occurring would be have quotes always add <p></p> immediately before and after the quote code when inserted (if they're not already present), to ensure that text can be added both above and below regardless of where it's inserted. The extra p tags needn't be attached to the quote beyond that, for instance when using the U/D position buttons it'd be fine if it still just moved the quote tags themselves, and the extra spaces should remain deletable in the same instances they currently are too. This way anyone preventing typing underneath quotes using the D button (or above using the U button) should be able to realise that it's simply because they've moved the quote to the extreme bottom(/top) of the post and using the U (or D) button once would correct that - provided they haven't deleted a bunch of lines/p tags, which in itself would hint at adding an extra line to fix it. That said, as previously mentioned, even without those extra paragraph tags it's already possible to always add an extra line yourself and using the position buttons on the quotes to make typing both above and below possible - the cause just isn't quite so clear.

PS@LarkAnderson: Any chance we can get colour options for text on the editor like on the old site in the future? As is I find a fake link is most effective way of making text stand out when ideal, which in itself appears to require the use of a mod/staff-only feature to actually get it to go through, and even then converts it into a proper link, merely to a default page("///" which ends up calling things like about:blank) when I'd obviously prefer it wasn't click-able at all.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 branketra

@robotopbuddy: I did not see a reply notification, so I did not reply sooner. Sorry about that.

I do not think "realistically" is the right word to use in this situation. It is supposed to work properly, but in reality it has not. There have been times when I simply quote a post without any use of the editor and it automatically is at the bottom of the editor's text box when I go to it. That said, I induced a situation which mimicked what I am currently calling a bug by deleting the last line in this editor under a quote which resulted in the text bar being within the quote box and I being unable to move the text bar beneath that box. I did as you suggested by pushing the U button that appears as part of the quote menu when hovering a cursor over a quote and it was a success. I will inspect the HTML of the pages I experience this on again and compare it to a page with a quote that is placed properly in the editor. Thank you for your assistance.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#8  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@BranKetra: The lack of a notification there would be because I didn't add one in - a lack of pressing the reply button, basically, and is far from the 1st time I've done that - so just my human error. To clarify, I used the word realistically primarily because my reproduction steps when an extra step that prevented text entry outside of a quote altogether without removing it entirely - a scenario that realistically won't occur without trying to make it happen. Being unable to enter text either above OR below a quote without adding in the line break manually is very much a realistic scenario, as it occurs just from quoting twice in a row - there's no space to enter text between the 2 quotes without moving the quotes up/down as appropriate. It's still not really breaking or even failing to work as intended in such cases, but it is inconvenient nonetheless to have to manually add the extra lines and move the quotes around.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 branketra
@robotopbuddy said:

@BranKetra: The lack of a notification there would be because I didn't add one in - a lack of pressing the reply button, basically, and is far from the 1st time I've done that - so just my human error. To clarify, I used the word realistically primarily because my reproduction steps when an extra step that prevented text entry outside of a quote altogether without removing it entirely - a scenario that realistically won't occur without trying to make it happen. Being unable to enter text either above OR below a quote without adding in the line break manually is very much a realistic scenario, as it occurs just from quoting twice in a row - there's no space to enter text between the 2 quotes without moving the quotes up/down as appropriate. It's still not really breaking or even failing to work as intended in such cases, but it is inconvenient nonetheless to have to manually add the extra lines and move the quotes around.

I believe I understand your use of "realistically" in your previous post more now because of your explanation. I am not used to that sort of usage is all.

An extra step you mentioned has not occurred in my experiences. As far as I know, the lack of ability to insert text outside of a quote in those moments happened after I opened a webpage, scrolled down, and clicked quote (after reading a post). I did not push enter to line break and then quote. Also, there had usually only been one quoted post. An inability to insert text above or below a quote is realistic in that it does occur; I am reporting one of those situations and you addressed the other, after all.

Hopefully, this is resolved in the near future.