Best of 2009 Emblem --Read first post please.

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wolf-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 Wolf-5
Member since 2005 • 1730 Posts

Sorry to the TC but I need to edit everything out.

I was told by Staff that whoever has the emblem now it was given out early on accident and if you didn't get it they WILL get it to you on the 27th around noon PST.

I was also told there will be no thread for people who didn't get an emblem because if you DID vote at all you WILL get an emblem.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
I have the same problem.. I have to vote again for some reason.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
Yeah, same problem here too, and some categories aren't even showing the results table when I vote again (e.g. best original game mechanic), so no idea if that's even counting. Annoyingly, this same thing happened last year.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#4 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
Same problem here, hardly the 1st time though..they'll hopefully all count, but there's usually an official thread with GSs plan for it sooner or later if it's a major technical problem. As is I can revote just by reloading the page after voting, on any of the voting pages. PS: Voted 2+ times in every category before it ended.
Wolf-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 Wolf-5
Member since 2005 • 1730 Posts

I just hope then at the end, my vote counted and that if there is any emblems for people who voted, that I get mine also.

SavoyPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 SavoyPrime
Member since 2003 • 41098 Posts

Same problem for me.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts

I just hope then at the end, my vote counted and that if there is any emblems for people who voted, that I get mine also.

Wolf-5
Yeah, but if I don't get an emblem for it then it won't be the end of the world either, there will be other opportunities. :) It's the same for me though, I can vote again if I want to, but I already voted once so I won't again in case that just adds to the problem, although unlike robbristow if I refresh/reload the page with FireFox 3.5.3 it doesn't take away my vote and I can't vote again. It will suck though if everyone has to do their vote again because of this. :?
Avatar image for DrJekyll8MrHyde
DrJekyll8MrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DrJekyll8MrHyde
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

I voted for all the categories, the next day they were reset so I voted again. Now it's showing some voted for while others are not.

gopulpfiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 gopulpfiction
Member since 2004 • 401 Posts

yeah, there's been a bunch of us who are having the same problem. there's a thread in the "Best of 2009" forum trying to shed light on this situation. unfortunately, it's only been users voicing their concerns about accurate vote tallies and emblems instead of solutions :(

still hoping GS addresses this soon...

theunloved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 theunloved
Member since 2006 • 1441 Posts

Happened to me too. I finally just gave up. This happened the last time we had a voting thing and I didn't get the emblem for that either.

Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

I have voted 3 times already

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
This same issue is happening to me aswell...
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Not only have some of my votes not counted, but some categories won't even let me vote again. The form fades for a moment, and then restores with no change. Refreshing the page shows the voting form again, but once again voting is futile. I deleted all my GameSpot cookies, which let me vote again from the beginning. But upon reaching the tenth page, my votes once again stopped registering. I'm about to give up.
carstairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 carstairs
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Hm...I voted in everything on the first day, but now it seems that some were remembered, and some weren't...
CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
I can't vote either. Every time I try to vote it redirects me to the gs home page or to the top of the voting page.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

I've voted 3 times. I thought it was just me.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I would imagine that Jody will have to create a thread just like last year in order for this emblem to be issued. I know people seem to care about that sort of thing so I am sure she will make a thread sooner or later on the issue.

Monkeyseat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Monkeyseat
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts
I'm having the same problems. I've tried voting on two different computers and the situation is the same. I get towards the end of the list and then for some reason I get logged out, resetting most of my votes. I can't even vote in some of the categories towards the end; when I click vote the results aren't displayed.
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I have also run into some of these issues while working through the list, and after further scrutiny I know why most of the problems are occurring, but not all of them. Mainly, it's about browser cookies, and the fact that in the course of going through and voting on all these categories the GameSpot servers are trying to set too many different cookies. Usually, being logged in and browsing around GS will cause you to carry 10 or 12 cookies around, sometimes a few more. If you've been logged in a long time and done a lot of browsing, there might be several more. Anyway, it varies some. For each category you vote on, GS tries to set another cookie. If you have that cookie when you revisit the page for a category, you'll see the current voting results (bar graph, percentages, counts, etc.). If you have voted but you don't have that cookie, when you revisit the page it will look like it is offering to let you vote again. However, if you try to vote, it may not let you (detecting your attempt to vote twice, I assume). Ok. So here's the problem. There are 53 categories. That would be 53 additional cookies on top of the 10 or 12 you usually have to be logged in and browse around GS. Firefox and IE8 limit the number of cookies for a single domain (like gamespot.com) to 50. Apparently the limit for Opera is 30. From what I've been able to gather, trying to set further cookies over the limit will fail for Firefox and Opera. IE will actually delete older cookies to make room - that can be disastrous, because it can log you out. I have read that Safari and Chrome do not have a set limit on the number of cookies per domain, so they may not show these symptoms. I can't offer any guarantees at all, but the impression I get is that if you vote on a category and get the current voting results in response, your vote has most likely been accepted by the GS servers. The fact that you can't continue to see the current results when you return just seems to be an artifact of this cookie limit thing - while disconcerting, it may not mean that your vote was "forgotten." As I say though, no guarantees... I also encountered the redirects to the home page for a brief period, but that was something else. I was not able to study that in detail, but I did see that the redirection started with a request for the page returning a 302 to itself (usually not a good thing). Whatever that was, I'm pretty sure it was all server-side and not directly related to the cookie issue. Venturing a totally wild guess, I'm thinking a strange response to an internal server error... I'm not sure what guidance, if any, I have for users right now, but I wanted to get this out as soon as I could make it quasi-coherent...

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I've reported this so hopefully when everybody gets back they can fix it.
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

Thanks to gmax and drac.

I would love to know that my votes have counted, and to see the totals. Maybe I'll wait until a week before the voting ends, and try one more time, from start to finish.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#23 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

And here I thought the script logs that the user voted into a database xD Why doesnt it btw? :S The task of giving emblems would be carried out a lot easier and voting would be limited to every unique user, if you wanted of course.

Hellswrath99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Hellswrath99
Member since 2004 • 99 Posts

Same issue on the voting. Thanks for correlating the issues and reporting them, Gmax and Drac.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gmax  Moderator
And here I thought the script logs that the user voted into a database xD Why doesnt it btw? :SXenoLair
I haven't seen their software up close, of course, but I suspect most votes probably are being recorded on GS servers. That's the only way the servers could behave differently after you voted than they did before you voted. When you vote the first time, you get the running stats as feedback. If you lose your cookie and come back later, it will look like you can vote again, but if you try, in most cases it won't let you. The GS servers are making that decision, and it seems to be because they are aware that you've already voted. In any case, the best thing to do will be to be patient, sit tight, and wait for guidance from the staff once they've had a chance to look at this and think about it a bit.

XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts
[QUOTE="XenoLair"]And here I thought the script logs that the user voted into a database xD Why doesnt it btw? :Sgmax
I haven't seen their software up close, of course, but I suspect most votes probably are being recorded on GS servers. That's the only way the servers could behave differently after you voted than they did before you voted. When you vote the first time, you get the running stats as feedback. If you lose your cookie and come back later, it will look like you can vote again, but if you try, in most cases it won't let you. The GS servers are making that decision, and it seems to be because they are aware that you've already voted. In any case, the best thing to do will be to be patient, sit tight, and wait for guidance from the staff once they've had a chance to look at this and think about it a bit.

Gamespot uses a weird structure, nevertheless I love GS :) Tnx
PolskaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PolskaKing
Member since 2008 • 39592 Posts
I voted like 1 and a half times...>.> Cause half of the votes didn't registered.
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
Any news on this? It's very important that my votes count because my opinion is more important than everyone else's. ;)
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
[QUOTE="guthwulf_de"]Any news on this? It's very important that my votes count because my opinion is more important than everyone else's. ;)

*Clear's throat* Umm... you forgot about my opinion there old friend. :P I'm also waiting for news on the glitch to see what's going on. Hopefully soon. :)
tmaclabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tmaclabi
Member since 2006 • 17109 Posts
I voted two times on all categories but my votes keeps on resetting :( I hope my votes were still registered.
tntkng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tntkng
Member since 2007 • 31323 Posts

I had the same problem I've voted 3 times now in every category! Will I still get an Emblem for voting?

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gmax  Moderator
I'm not sure an emblem has been announced. (But they've done them several years in a row now I think.) As I recall last year there was a reporting thread where you had to mention some of your votes. Maybe having a list of how you voted would be handy to keep around this year too. Just guessing, a lot of users would probably like to be able to see how the user voting is progressing. Hopefully we'll hear some word on this soon, but we'll have to wait and see...

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dalger21

I'm not sure an emblem has been announced. (But they've done them several years in a row now I think.) As I recall last year there was a reporting thread where you had to mention some of your votes. Maybe having a list of how you voted would be handy to keep around this year too. Just guessing, a lot of users would probably like to be able to see how the user voting is progressing. Hopefully we'll hear some word on this soon, but we'll have to wait and see...

gmax

I would imagine there will be some sort of thread sooner or later. Last year, this was also a problem. Jody realize it was a major issue when only a handful of emblems where distributed withtheir automated system. She later had a blog and thread specifically for people who voted but didn't get the emblem. She even came back a few weeks later with another thread stating that if anyone missed the thread the first time that they could post in the latest one and still get the emblem. They really went out of their way to make sure that people who voted actually got the emblem for it. I would imagine it will be the same thing this year - if there is an emblem.

Pell1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 Pell1979
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts
Heh didn't realise there were multiple threads for the voting bug. I'm in the same boat. I've now tried voting 3 times on different days but to no avail. Its a joke. I gave up on voting on last years as well for the same reason so I never got a voted emblem for 2008. Also since everyone was talking about emblems I checked mine out and realised I am missing a voting emblem for a previous year too *boggle* Good ol' GS...
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

I asked about this and staff mentioned that as long as you voted the first time you are marked down as voted to eventually receive the emblem. So, while we can't really change the polls for the pages based on duplicate votes, you are tracked for voting as long as you actually voted.

EDIT: Staff told me that the emblem won't be granted on the 27th. It may take anywhere from 2-3 days after this date to see it on your profiles (cache, etc).

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

@Pell1979: I added last year's on your profile. There still are about 10% of how many users should have received for that emblem. If anyone else has probs from last year just PM me with the subject title Reader's Choice award. I'll get to it at my earliest convenience.

Pell1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Pell1979
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts
@JodyR - Thanks. I didn't actually expect any real response from my post - You've restored a little faith :)
tntkng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tntkng

Good to know I will still get an emblem for this years voting! Thank you:D

I asked about this and staff mentioned that as long as you voted the first time you are marked down as voted to eventually receive the emblem. So, while we can't really change the polls for the pages based on duplicate votes, you are tracked for voting as long as you actually voted.

EDIT: Staff told me that the emblem won't be granted on the 27th. It may take anywhere from 2-3 days after this date to see it on your profiles (cache, etc).

JodyR

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dracula68
Unstickying as some were handed out today and the rest will be done on the 27th at noon PST.
dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dalger21

Unstickying as some were handed out today and the rest will be done on the 27th at noon PST.Dracula68

I know that will make people happy.

Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
i am also having the issue, didn't see this thread till after i posted in the Emblem Error thread, good thing i am letting you all know i also had the same problem and i really don't want to have to vote again. if i do, thne will i still get the Emblem, i have been voting every year since 2006.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dracula68

Actually gonna sticky this agin so people can read the first post I edited.

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
Since there's not going to be a reporting thread, I hope there's no issues with my emblem - I certainly voted.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dracula68
Since there's not going to be a reporting thread, I hope there's no issues with my emblem - I certainly voted. msudude211
I was told there shouldn't be but we'll have to see.
Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
[QUOTE="msudude211"] Since there's not going to be a reporting thread, I hope there's no issues with my emblem - I certainly voted. Dracula68
I was told there shouldn't be but we'll have to see.

thanks for the info Drac, i am glad this is resolved, i will be patient and wait, i just hope by posting again i don't get a moderation?
tntkng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tntkng

Just got mine too :D

Pedronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedronus
Member since 2007 • 9524 Posts
Glad it was resolved :) I'll just wait for mine now.
david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts
Thanks for the update, I can't wait to get the nifty emblem. :)