Avatars, User Pictures, and other Images

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

Twice now I've had to re-upload my pictures to my settings - I make a post, my sig does not appear (but does if I refresh) - and if I make an extra tab from a link to my profile when no sig is showing, it shows the standardized profile with no pictures. It's just annoying and it's happened twice now, anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: Happened again ;/

DivineJester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By DivineJester
Member since 2013 • 187 Posts

Im also having problems with my avatar. It appears on my page, and in the top corner, but it doesn appear on any comments or threads. And well that kind of defeats the purpose of an avatar doesnt it.

edit: apparently it works here as well, but it still does not work on comments on articles.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

My signature and user image keep disappearing at random.

LancerVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LancerVI
Member since 2003 • 529 Posts

I need to delete image. Can't delete. Why isn't there a simple "delete" button? Seems like an obvious function to omit.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The image features for this software leave much to be desired and after more than a week since relaunch, are still lacking.

reddog00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 reddog00
Member since 2003 • 332 Posts

I have not tried IE10 yet but I know Chrome Compatibility for the new site design is not good at all. Been here for a long time...visit pretty much every day. But since this redesign I have a hard time even clicking the link to come here anymore. :(

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@PiscesChick93: I'll add this to the list of bugs for todays report.

@divinejester: Currently it is an error with Livefyre and our servers communicating, we're working on getting this fixed.

@LancerVI : There is a way of deleting a comment, it involves going to your images > clicking on the "Edit Tags" > Select "Click to Edit" > Click "Remove", you'll get a prompt asking if you're sure you want to delete the image, click "Ok".

@WhiteKnight77: Thanks for the feedback.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

@DigitalDame: Thank you! :)

RitsukoBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 RitsukoBlue
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

I won't my avatar appear in the comments? ( for the news ) I uploading it 2 times!

LancerVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By LancerVI
Member since 2003 • 529 Posts

Who said anything about deleting a comment? Either way, your instructions worked. Thanks. I think you meant "images"? Thanks a million @DigitalDame

RitsukoBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RitsukoBlue
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts

@DigitalDame: My imagewon't appear in the comments of news and other parts of the site. besides here. what should I do?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

How do we center signatures?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@divinejester@ritsukoblue That's an issue with Livefyre. It hasn't shown avatars properly for many, many months. The only thing to do is wait until they fix it on their end.

DivineJester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DivineJester
Member since 2013 • 187 Posts

@DigitalDame said:

@PiscesChick93: I'll add this to the list of bugs for todays report.

@divinejester: Currently it is an error with Livefyre and our servers communicating, we're working on getting this fixed.

@LancerVI : There is a way of deleting a comment, it involves going to your images > clicking on the "Edit Tags" > Select "Click to Edit" > Click "Remove", you'll get a prompt asking if you're sure you want to delete the image, click "Ok".

@WhiteKnight77: Thanks for the feedback.

Okay, I can wait.

twztid13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By twztid13
Member since 2009 • 2012 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:

How about not even being able to get anything to come up to change the avatar or the nonworking buttons on the Profile Settings page? Even if it takes a while for the avatar to change, how about letting us at least change it? As it stands right now, I still have a default avatar as the buttons do not work at all for me and a few others around here.

Exact same issue with IE9.

kill3rdank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 kill3rdank
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts

Will someone address the bug where your old avatar still shows up in the comments section, regardless of having changed it many times over? its been close to a year with no resolution.

nutDAVE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#67  Edited By nutDAVE3
Member since 2003 • 18277 Posts

Hello - I had the same profile image for the past nine (!!!) years on this site, and a blog image and signature for nearly as long.

My profile image gif doesn't exist anymore on the Internet, so is there anyway to get the profile image I had before the redesign? Really sad to have lost all three images that have become so synonymous with my GS user account for nine years.

Moonco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Moonco  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 3848 Posts

I changed my avatar picture recently but it never shows up when I make a comment in a news article. Any fix for this?

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
@nutDAVE3 said:

Hello - I had the same profile image for the past nine (!!!) years on this site, and a blog image and signature for nearly as long.

My profile image gif doesn't exist anymore on the Internet, so is there anyway to get the profile image I had before the redesign? Really sad to have lost all three images that have become so synonymous with my GS user account for nine years.

Do any of these help? link, link, link, link

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#70 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

@Moonco said:

I changed my avatar picture recently but it never shows up when I make a comment in a news article. Any fix for this?

Yeah that sucks. I just noticed the same thing. We use Livefyre for comments and evidently they're not syncing their user pics correctly.

waterproof9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#71  Edited By waterproof9
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts

My image buttons do not work either. So far that seems to be the only prob. Haven't tried everything yet though. I hope that this can get fixed. Images are fun and identifiable.

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#72  Edited By JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

@edgework: Not being able to upload/change avatar/background picture/user picture/reply in the forums/post to your own wall with Firefox aren't "rough edges" but proof someone didn't do a proper job. Harsh, maybe. True, yes.

Have to use Chrome to be able to use Gamespot.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 WhiteKnight77

@JimmyJumpy said:

@edgework: Not being able to upload/change avatar/background picture/user picture/reply in the forums/post to your own wall with Firefox aren't "rough edges" but proof someone didn't do a proper job. Harsh, maybe. True, yes.

Have to use Chrome to be able to use Gamespot.

It just isn't Firefox (unless you use a workaround) that is having problems, older versions of IE as well as Opera do not work with this website and forums as they should. A person should not have to download or upgrade multiple browsers just to use a basic function of the forums.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 rick

When browsers can be and for the most part are getting updated regularly and automatically, there's little reason to spend time and resources on getting something to render properly on obsolete browsers. We could be doing that or we could be adding new features...

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 WhiteKnight77

@edgework said:

When browsers can be and for the most part are getting updated regularly and automatically, there's little reason to spend time and resources on getting something to render properly on obsolete browsers. We could be doing that or we could be adding new features...

Are you suggesting that I upgrade the IE9 install that I rarely use if at all and dump my preferred browser (Opera) or get something else entirely even though it may not meet my needs or requirements? Am I supposed do download and install FireFox or Chrome just to enjoy the few features that are usable on GameSpot and the forums?

While software like vBulletin, phpBoard or Invision Power Board are forum software packages and not necessarily for a whole website, they offer the features that people want and work with browsers with no problems. There are ways to indicate new threads, which threads you post in, take you to the first unread post in any thread you have previously read or posted in, allow people to manually link to images elsewhere as well as to link to or upload an avatar to show who they are.

I appreciate the fact that you are coming to the forums and interacting with us and trying to get a hold on the bugs and features that people want integrated, but would you not agree that a website that wants members to visit regularly and join to become a part of, have basic features that work from the get go and not have to be added in one at a time, especially when ads were one of the first things that GS had fixed when so much more was broken and not included?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 rick

@WhiteKnight77: Opera is a dead browser essentially. You're going to have to give it up at some point. Try Netscape Navigator or IE Versions older than 9. I doubt you'll get many modern sites to load. IE6 held the web ransom for a long time until Chrome become widespread. That's not going to happen any more. The web is moving faster every day. Everything is in eternal beta. You really can't expect things to stay the same.

The new GameSpot site was a necessity. The old one was almost impossible to maintain after 17 years of development. It may have worked well from your perspective but it was crumbing inside. We needed to get a new platform launched as soon as possible. The basic features were in place before we launched. Now we're working on the next level. Yeah in some cases functionality may have taken a few steps back in places but we'll catch up. With this new platform in place GameSpot can now innovate freely and like the rest of the web move forward rapidly.

Regarding ads. I would say that of all things we've focused on post launch, ads was one of the least. We've sped up a lot of the site and focused a lot on stability and we're now refining features.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By WhiteKnight77

Actually, Netscape is Officially Dead while Opera does have a small share it is the smallest and fastest browser in the world! I do know that IE does not show me the speed at which a page is loading like Opera does as seen in this screenshot. This feature has allowed me to bust my ISP in the past when they played around with my connection. Can Chrome or Firefox do that?

I am well aware of the problems the old website and forum had. We were getting Bonk! two days before the changeover. Still, we could post images, change our avatars, use BB code (see my sig) and could tell what threads we had read, which ones we posted in as well as go to the first unread post in any thread we revisited. Some are using a workaround to use their avatars (that have to be uploaded here instead of just linked to and with no way to remove them) and images that they want to post and is the reason for this thread.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 rick
@WhiteKnight77 said:

Actually, Netscape is Officially Dead while Opera does have a small share it is the smallest and fastest browser in the world!

You do know about this right?

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By WhiteKnight77

@edgework said:
@WhiteKnight77 said:

Actually, Netscape is Officially Dead while Opera does have a small share it is the smallest and fastest browser in the world!

You do know about this right?

Yes, I am aware of it and have been for quite some time.

Ne-Plus-Ultra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Ne-Plus-Ultra
Member since 2012 • 281 Posts

I have no problem uploading avatars, but when I try to upload a gif avatar it resizes it to 52x80, the gif was originally 80x80 at 300ppi, so I changed it to 80x80 at 72ppi thinking that might fix it but to no avail. I'm using Chrome that's fully updated. I'm not sure what to try from here, I know other people can upload gifs with no problem, so am I doing something wrong, or is there a temporary problem with the site?

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#81  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Basically GS only supports webkit, gecko and the more recent trident rendering engines (IE9+, I imagine support for older versions will be dropped over time as well) - that means Opera versions prior to Opera 15, IE8 and older, Netscape, and some other lesser heard of browsers won't be supported - of course some functionality may not work even on those that are supported if the browser doesn't support certain features, it's designed with an up-to-date webkit browser in mind in general, with the most up to date Firefox (and other mozilla browsers, which use gecko) and IE9/10/11 (utilising trident 5/6/7 respectively) being supported primarily just to maintain usability across as wide a user-base as is practical to do so. If IE usage wasn't so widespread I doubt many web developers would make their site compatible with it - opera's old rendering engine is essentially dead now, so it's just grouped in as webkit support (it's more work than it's worth to support an outdated/practically dead engine, especially when it's so easy for a user to upgrade their browser), it's basically a mini-chrome for Opera 15+. Hopefully in the long term less rendering engines will have to be supported to make a site work for the vast majority of users - frankly it's a pain in the ass to make sure a site works with (for example) trident when it's built to work for webkit.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 WhiteKnight77

@robbristow said:

Basically GS only supports webkit, gecko and the more recent trident rendering engines (IE9+, I imagine support for older versions will be dropped over time as well) - that means Opera versions prior to Opera 15, IE8 and older, Netscape, and some other lesser heard of browsers won't be supported - of course some functionality may not work even on those that are supported if the browser doesn't support certain features, it's designed with an up-to-date webkit browser in mind in general, with the most up to date Firefox (and other mozilla browsers, which use gecko) and IE9/10/11 (utilising trident 5/6/7 respectively) being supported primarily just to maintain usability across as wide a user-base as is practical to do so. If IE usage wasn't so widespread I doubt many web developers would make their site compatible with it - opera's old rendering engine is essentially dead now, so it's just grouped in as webkit support (it's more work than it's worth to support an outdated/practically dead engine, especially when it's so easy for a user to upgrade their browser), it's basically a mini-chrome for Opera 15+. Hopefully in the long term less rendering engines will have to be supported to make a site work for the vast majority of users - frankly it's a pain in the ass to make sure a site works with (for example) trident when it's built to work for webkit.

I also have and tried to use IE9 to change my avatar and post images and it still didn't work.

nutDAVE3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#83 nutDAVE3
Member since 2003 • 18277 Posts

@gmax: How many times have you been told you're awesome today? I'd like to make that one more!

It's a silly thing really, but I can't tell you how much these mean to me. I have a strong spot in my heart for GameSpot and I'm really appreciative you passed these along. Thank you.

Avatar image for deactivated-609fe4eae5287
deactivated-609fe4eae5287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-609fe4eae5287
Member since 2005 • 750 Posts

I'd like to report that my avatar does not appear in the comments I post to articles, hasn't since the website update.

It does appear correctly in my profile and in the forums, but NOT in comments.