This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by xdude85 (6335 posts) -

I changed my avatar recently, but whenever I comment on a news article or blog, my old avatar keeps appearing instead my new one. This problem doesn't happen when I comment in forums though.

#2 Posted by kitty (115327 posts) -
Did you change your avatar today? If so, I'd give it 24 hours and see if this is still happening.
#3 Posted by xdude85 (6335 posts) -
I changed it weeks ago.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#4 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -
Okay try this: 1. Upload image to imagehost again to get a new url 2. Paste new url into usericon like you did with your other avatar url 3. Press apply changes See if that works.
#5 Posted by xdude85 (6335 posts) -

It doesn't work.

I uploaded it to Phototbucket, copied and pasted the URL , but this error message keeps saying I need to select a file.

#6 Posted by gmax (6865 posts) -
I meant to reply to this the other day but didn't have a chance to do much checking on it. I noticed a week or two ago that something unexpected was going on with the user avatars in the new comment streams - the avatar images in the new comment streams are not coming from GS. They have been copied over somewhere else for the purpose of using them in the new comment streams. I don't know anything about how the process works, but I've seen a lot of date stamps from mid April on those copied avatars. Others may be more recent, but I'm still seeing a lot of mid April. I haven't watched the comment streams load very carefully lately, but just checking the browser at least two domains may be involved: gravatar.com and livefyre-avatar.s3.amazonaws.com. Again, I don't really know anything about how the process works. That said, attempting to maintain two separate copies of something by means of software is always a risky and tenuous prospect, and, I feel, a classic software design error. It is often motivated by concerns over performance, and I suspect that's the case here. The inevitable problem is incoherence - the duplicate and the original wind up different at some point. Just guessing, there was probably a huge avatar dump from GS to livefyre back in April. There may have been more copied since. The copied avatars are probably not keeping up in real time with the current avatar settings in effect on GS. This is probably an issue users should be more aware of generally. I'm not sure where it should really go, except possibly in the "revamp" thread stickied above in this forum. I don't know if the new comment system will ever get its own board, but if it ever does maybe it can go there too. For the time being a link to this thread might be helpful. Edit: You can use this link if you like.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
#7 Posted by Shadowchronicle (26969 posts) -

It doesn't work.

I uploaded it to Phototbucket, copied and pasted the URL , but this error message keeps saying I need to select a file.

xdude85
 paste it where I highlighted in yellow in your preferences then press apply changes
#8 Posted by gmax (6865 posts) -
@xdude85: If you can link us to a couple places where you've posted comments that are easy to find (shorter, less active comment streams, generally), I think the problem with having an older avatar on your comments will be clearer to everyone else.

#9 Posted by man_hammer (441 posts) -

I'm having the same problem with comments.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm not having an identical problem. I am, however, having an avatar problem with comments. My avatar doesn't show up at all.

My avatar url is:

http://ui08.gamespot.com/1639/megatarsmallns_2.gif

It works everywhere except the new comments. The url for the new comments is:

http://livefyre-avatar.s3.amazonaws.com/a/137/ed2b618942c48dfc820e1febdaefdef2/50.jpg?_=1338853220

So, it looks like, at least for me, that it's trying to load a jpg. The problem is that my avatar is a gif.

Edit:

Here is a link to an example of my avatar problem.

http://www.gamespot.com/users/man_hammer/view_image?id=OoIPtE5y7hqa7R3unQ

#10 Posted by xdude85 (6335 posts) -

Here's an example. My old avatar is the guy with red har.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6380069/dead-space-3-crysis-3-headline-ea-conference#generic_comments