Annoying newsletter signup bs!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

Come on guys, are you really going to start acting like those desperate slideshow sites that open a popup whenever the mouse moves up to the address bar?

I like to open the articles I read in new tabs and continuously refresh the news feed, which means every time I close out one of those windows, I don't want some popup covering the screen asking me to sign up for the Skyrim newsletter, or the Overwatch newsletter. Especially when my intent was to click on the forums and now your terrihoribad newletter garbage covers all of the links on the page.

Every single page I opened today had one of these popups, and they annoy the shit out of me. I can't even switch tabs w/out this filth invading my screen.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

Having the same problems as well unwelcome news ads popping up out of nowhere when I'm trying to read the news. Same on Mobile as well. I have adblock but for some reasons, it's not helping out.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#3 wemmick
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@suicidesn0wman: Are you signed in when you get these? They're set to only show 1 per session and not show at all if you're signed in.

@davillain: I'm not sure if you're talking about the same thing...sounds different. Could you post a screenshot?

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 suicidesn0wman

Well even if it is once per session, if I open 5 or 6 articles in new tabs before I have triggered the session handler, each of the new tabs will think that I have not yet triggered the popup. Also the sessions don't appear to last that long, as I've had the issue once right before I created this thread, and again about 2 hours later on a page that was opened via the 'Show Whole Thread' link in an email.

I've got most of the containers blocked via adblock now, but I left the last example open as it still had the overlay blocking all the links on the page. If it isn't obvious from the image, everything is trapped underneath the darkened "fb_digioh-overlay" with an opacity of 0.580392.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 suicidesn0wman

@wemmick: Also, I'm always signed in.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 suicidesn0wman

@wemmick: Just had the overlay show up again, guessing the sessions last 2 hours? Haven't been closing many of these windows since I tend to be active in the comments quite a bit.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 suicidesn0wman

Brought some of the tabs out to new windows, just opened both of these at the same time I came here to respond, both went dark on me as soon as I went to leave the page. Had this window in bg to show difference in darkness.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wemmick

@suicidesn0wman: And when it went dark, there was no modal window for following the game? (Sorry, didn't see your earlier message about hiding them manually.)

And what's your browser/OS?

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wemmick

@suicidesn0wman: We modified the criteria to not show for users who come directly to the site, so you shouldn't see them going forward.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suicidesn0wman

@wemmick: Modal is being blocked by an adblocker, overlay will be added in the near future, only left it up to be able to help trouble shoot.

Yes signed in for each instance, my user icon is in the top right corner. I think I've only been asked to sign in like twice in the last 6 months, I don't clear cache very often.

Oh, and I'm on Chrome Version 48.0.2564.116 (64-bit) using a Mac with OS X 10.10.2

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wemmick

@suicidesn0wman: Can you verify if it's still happening? With the updated criteria, you shouldn't see it if you are either signed in or coming directly to the site (not via Google.) Try clearing cache to make sure.

Avatar image for Acidic__Thought
Acidic__Thought

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Acidic__Thought
Member since 2004 • 163 Posts

Seriously, these popups are annoying. I wish there was a way to disable them entirely, because I also get them multiple times a day and no, for the thousandth time, I don't want the newsletter, or alerts, or whatever the popup is for. Can I opt out? Have a setting on my account to not bug me? Should I just go to a new site? I'd adblock it like anything else if it didn't make everything else unclickable.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wemmick

@Acidic__Thought: If you are signed-in, you shouldn't see them at all. Next time you see one, could you send a screenshot, and the URL where you saw it? I'd like to make sure we're talking about the same thing.