madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Hey guys, i was wondering if there is a way to stop the autoload video in the articles, is really annoying since i'm usually working with multiple tabs and out of nowhere a random video completely out of topic begans to sound.

Like i said, is really annoying, hopefully there is a way to disable this function.

Thanks.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I'm looking for a solution to this as well.

And to be clear, this is about articles that auto-play videos.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of autoplaying videos, either.

-Byshop

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 madsnakehhh

Yep, the videos in the articles that start playing automatically, don't know if they are random or what, but they never have anything to do with the article itself is like you are reading an Uncharted news, and it has a Doom commercial in the article that begans to play automatically.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#5 wemmick
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@madsnakehhh: The autoplay videos should be limited to videos that are related to the articles, like trailers and such. If you guys see unrelated videos somewhere, please let us know. (The ads, of course, may not be quite as relevant...)

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 madsnakehhh

@wemmick: Indeed, all the videos are related to the articles, haven't realized that they were playing some ads before the actual video. Still, it would be really nice if we could turn off the autoplay.

darkelf83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 darkelf83
Member since 2003 • 1044 Posts

Yes, please stop the auto playing of videos in articles and stop putting auto play videos in articles that are not tagged as having a video. I open articles in new tabs to be read later and suddenly there is some video in my ear.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By elheber

@wemmick: The videos that start when you only came to read an article so it's closer to an auto-playing ad than anything else. For goodness's sake, I'm at work sometimes and the last thing I need is an unexpected video/ad playing from another tab.

fatalflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 fatalflame
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

Yeah. Is there any way to disable auto-play for article pages? I usually open multiple tabs to read stories, reviews and articles and can't stand having so many different videos playing which I'm not interested in!

CameraGuyKurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 CameraGuyKurt
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts

Yeah, every video in every article seems to autoplay for me. Is there any way to give users the option to disable autoplay on a per-account basis?

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@wemmick: You guys should make 'autoplay' an option that users can toggle on/off on their profiles. Some of us like to browse the site at work during breaks or lunch, and it'd be nice if there wasn't an audible notification that I'm not working. It shouldn't even be that hard.

velcroboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12 velcroboy
Member since 2008 • 314 Posts

+1 to disable autoplay. Thanks.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@wemmick said:

@madsnakehhh: The autoplay videos should be limited to videos that are related to the articles, like trailers and such. If you guys see unrelated videos somewhere, please let us know. (The ads, of course, may not be quite as relevant...)

Autoplay videos should exist nowhere on the internet. A lot of us open tabs in the background for future reading, it's a PITA to have a tab suddenly start blurting out sound and music and you have to stop what you were doing just to turn it off.

Every one of us knows how to click on a video to make it play. I may be hard to believe, but for real.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 elheber
@br0kenrabbit said:

Autoplay videos should exist nowhere on the internet. A lot of us open tabs in the background for future reading, it's a PITA to have a tab suddenly start blurting out sound and music and you have to stop what you were doing just to turn it off.

Every one of us knows how to click on a video to make it play. I may be hard to believe, but for real.

Well, autoplay should exist for direct links to videos. If you know you're clicking on a link to a video you want to watch, that's perfectly fine. Pretty much everything in the Video section, for example, should auto-play. It's the videos in news articles (and even review articles) that shouldn't.

Dunan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dunan
Member since 2004 • 41 Posts

I finally got sick of autoplaying ads on the website and just mass blocked every single embed object with a video. They can get stuffed if that's the way they want to do it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 madsnakehhh

Well...i'm oficially staying the hell out of the news section, thanks a lot GS...your autoplay feature is not only one of the most annoying things i've seen in this site in all the years i've been here, but your video player...sucks, whenever i feel like actually watching the video that you so kindly autoplay for us...the damn thing just freezes in the middle of the video and there is no way to make it work again unless i refresh the page.

So yeah, keep up the good work guys.

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tsunami2311
Member since 2003 • 1798 Posts

yes please give the ablity to disable the bs that autoplay videos I general open multiple tab for videos and they all auto start, then it annoy as hell.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@wemmick said:

That may be the case, but this is still an issue with the new scrolling article format. Sure it's generally clear from the news feed which articles will autoplay a video when you click on them, but when you're already in an article and you start scrolling through them it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the next article you scroll to will start loudly blaring a video at you.

-Byshop

ECH71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By ECH71
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts

+1

Not a fan of autoplay.

In the meantime, if anyone's using adblock, block this:

http://*.gamespot.com/js/compiled/public/relatedVideoAutoplay.js*

Update 06/29/2016: Tampermonkey script unnecessary, GS/CBS devs have neatly left all the autoplay code in a single file.

BeefoTheBold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By BeefoTheBold
Member since 2009 • 1502 Posts

I don't know if this is the earliest thread on GS about everyone in the universe complaining about autoplay videos on websites but it's as far back as I'm willing to glance through past midnight my time.

And it's at least a year and a half of people on your website complaining about autoplay videos and GS "looking into it". 3-4 other threads on the front page of your feedback forum complaining about it.

I honestly think people might respect the site more if they just were open and honest. Having an option to disable autoplay videos, or just turning them off entirely, shouldn't be this complicated. The site's official response that you're "looking into it" after this long kind of comes across as "we think our user base are idiots". The site's made an official decision that the extra ad revenue is worth angry users.

Own it would you?

HUYI12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 HUYI12
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

anyway to block the new embedded videos? the old way doesn't work anymore and the autoplay is driving me mad especially when i have headphones on or listening to music thru my external speakers.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

I just downloaded Google Chrome Beta and it has an option to block sound on websites (like Gamespot here when their videos auto play). While the ads and videos still auto play, you don't hear a thing! It's great visiting this site now!

gigijones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gigijones
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

auto-play video really annoys me sometimes, but I Google lots of time with no solution to this.

BeefoTheBold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By BeefoTheBold
Member since 2009 • 1502 Posts

There sure seems to be a lot of these threads giving feedback about the same topic doesn't there?

Edit: This is not a dig against the thread creator. It's a dig against the lack of response to the complaint.