5 Reasons to Scrap GameSpot Unions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

parduebenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 parduebenjamin
Member since 2010 • 129 Posts

From the "Zelda and Off-Topic Union," to the "Soul Caliber and Off-Topic Union," to all of the other well-thought-out unions that thirteen-year-old kids come up with as soon as they reach level six; users of this site have been plagued with these spam factories for over a decade. Here is just some food for thought:

• There is no such thing as a free lunch. Every waste of space needs to be paid for, and these funds come from those lovely ads that we see every time we load the homepage, and these funds could be better used by hiring another staff member, adding more features, or even cutting down on those blessed advertisements.
  • The majority of unions peter out within a month and become completely stagnant.
  • Noone likes the disapointment of opening the old gamespot inbox to read one's messages only to find if full of union invites and send-all union messages.
  • Gamespot has no desire to fix the issues with unions. Remember SentinelRV's movement to fix the union system half a decade ago? Did Gamespot even pretend to take action, even if to appease Sentinel and keep his invaluable HeadCrab Union on the site? If the staff is so apathetic to allow their largest and most active union to slip between their fingers, why even support the things?
  • Every post dumped into a terminally ill union forum is a post that could have contributed to it's respective Game Forum, where people really go to find information about games. If you have a question about Skyward Sword, are you going to visit the "Zelda Alliance and Off-Topic Union,"or the Skyward Sword forum?

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

Just no.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
There are so many unions that are still active with some people only posting on GS because of unions. I hope GS never scrap unions.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
The union system hasn't worked properly for years I believe, that's why so many dead unions are still around. However there are some very active ones out there. Personal experience from a union dedicated to Guitar Hero compared to the shared board... I very much preferred the union. And some also prefer an off topic union over the off topic board.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Even a semi-dead union beats Gamefaqs shared boards.:lol:
-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts

Really what's the difference? The purpose of a forum is to share information and strike conversation between people that share similar interests. A union only takes this one step further with an extra layer of depth by adding a front page where articles in blog fashion can be posted.

Unions haven't been surfaced in the main navigation on this site for years, yet people still find a way to keep them alive. Perhaps it isn't the best idea that anyone can create a union. I do believe if this was a premium feature for paid membership gamespot would have much more luck with people not having to sift through dozens of crap unions. Also owners of the boards would be much more inclined to stick with their union since they are paying for the service.

Yes, unions have problems, but it really seems like a waste for them to neglect them further. As long as people still go to gamespot, there will always be demand for user created forums in some fashion. Might as well fix the system you already have than make a new one from scratch.

parduebenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 parduebenjamin

For those of you who actually read the entire original post; please refer to bullet number four. Despite obvious problems with simple potential fixes, the staff has taken no steps toward the remedy of said isssues, even in the wake of SentinelRV's reformation movement, and at the cost of one of the most profitable unions in the sites history (again, please refer to the fourth bullet). Because there is obviously no desire/possibility for a fix, then this broken toy must be replaced.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

For those of you who actually read the entire original post; please refer to bullet number four. Despite obvious problems with simple potential fixes, the staff has taken no steps toward the remedy of said isssues, even in the wake of SentinelRV's reformation movement, and at the cost of one of the most profitable unions in the sites history (again, please refer to the fourth bullet). Because there is obviously no desire/possibility for a fix, then this broken toy must be replaced.

parduebenjamin
The leader of a union has the option of dissolving it if his union dies.
parduebenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 parduebenjamin

The Leader of the union never takes advantage of that option. In fact, the leader often goes awol and lets the union sit there with no leadership until it dies out.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
There's a process in place to deal with a situation like that (here). And even then, there's quite a few leaderless unions that still somehow manage to stay alive. The unions community manages to amazingly persevere.
Profilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Profilia  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 2226 Posts
Your first bullet is ridiculous. Unions are a very small part of this site, so you don't really think there are more ads around because of unions, right? If you don't like seeing ads you can block them with tools pertaining to whatever browser you use (such as Adblock for Firefox), or you could even choose to show more support for the site by becoming a subscriber. Your second bullet is something that can be taken care of. Smaller unions can (and have been in the past) merged with other larger, more active unions. Other options could be to restrict who can create unions. Perhaps a higher level requirement would suffice. Your third bullet is simple to deal with. You can turn off the option to receive automatic updates in your settings. Hover over your username and click on "settings" and then "Site Settings"; uncheck "Receive Auto PM Notifications". Your fourth bullet is understandable. However, there has been support for unions even when it didn't seem like there was. Even recently union levels and emblems were fixed. The community managers have been working hard to get more support for unions. But things like this take time to work on. Please have more patience. Your fifth bullet is a moot point. If I have a question, I could go to a shared board, or I could go to a union. Picking one place to post over another doesn't make much of a difference. Unions have never been presented as any sort of replacement for the shared boards, nor should they be. In my experience, unions have more fun conversations, where you are far less likely to be called "stupid" for asking a question. I for one much prefer the atmosphere of unions to the shared boards. I think they are often much more welcoming. You may think otherwise, but taking away one option is not needed. I can spend my time in unions, and you can spend your time in the shared boards. No big deal.
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

If they got rid of unions then I would without a doubt stop using this website. Unions are what kept me coming here from when I was level 1 and are the only reason I still visit GS, especially after the new ToU which has made the main forums an altogether unpleasant environment. And I know plenty of people that are of a similar disposition.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#13 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]