Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I find the use of quoting an entire post is being used as a weapon to be annoying. Some people stating maybe a one word glib response that does not even refer to which of multiple point in the quote has been posted. Even when that post is the very last post. So now it's duplicated. It might have videos and images inside it.

The nest of quotes get get 7 or more deep which reduces paragraphs to a width of a single character on a phone.

In short. It can make page artificially and sometimes absurdly long to scroll down.

Some forums have the use of quotes monitored as a rule.

Quotes

Full quotes of the post directly above your one are discouraged, even more so if that post is long and/or contains images, as it seriously hinders readability (especially on devices with small screens). If you want to reply to a specific point of a post, please trim the quote by hand and include only the relevant sentences (just do not change the meaning of the original post, and don't take sentences out of context); try to avoid quoting images unless really necessary. This rule is more relaxed if the quoted post is the last on a page. Multiple small quotes (even from different posts) with individual answers are also ok (there is no multiquote feature on this forum software, but you can copy and paste the quotes by hand).

https://vgmrips.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

While I love the idea of this, in all honesty, that would be super hard to enforce, given that our community is so used to the old way.

If every post like that was reported, 10 reports of a user would effectively offer them a "temporary ban", killing even more traffic on this website. If there was a way to auto enforce it (maybe our engineers could come up with a script of "no more than one quote in a post" that would be a better solution.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jackamomo

@verbtex: I think if the script checked if a quote was duplicated from the previous post, they get issued a strike that should nip it in the bud.

However. I wouldn't want to contribute the the javascript bloat on page loads as your routines are crippling my page loads times at 20 seconds of processing time per page..

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By verbtex  Moderator

@jackamomo Woah, issuing a strike is quite an offense, especially for something like quoting.

I think having a warning before allowing a post would be much more effective.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jackamomo

@verbtex: well that's fine too I suppose.

I don't really understand the lingo.

But I think I'm on two strikes already, one for posting a controversial topic and one for arguing with the mods like I was in school again.

I think I regressed a bit and was a bit angry because System Wars came as bit of a culture shock to me.

Also, slightly off topic. But one definition I struggle to understnad on these forum guidelines is the word 'reasonable' in the sentence about necro-posting in relation to the amount of time a thread has been idle with a month being a guideline.

This has lead to alot of confusion and upset.

Perhaps this policy should be implemented automatically.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 verbtex  Moderator
@jackamomo said:

@verbtex: well that's fine too I suppose.

I don't really understand the lingo.

But I think I'm on two strikes already, one for posting a controversial topic and one for arguing with the mods like I was in school again.

I think I regressed a bit and was a bit angry because System Wars came as bit of a culture shock to me.

Also, slightly off topic. But one definition I struggle to understnad on these forum guidelines is the word 'reasonable' in the sentence about necro-posting in relation to the amount of time a thread has been idle with a month being a guideline.

This has lead to alot of confusion and upset.

Perhaps this policy should be implemented automatically.

Yeah, System Wars is something that isn't really seen anywhere else.

Strikes are for more serious offenses. Infractions aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Here, it's just like a Baseball Game. Three Strikes and you are out.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 verbtex  Moderator
@splintah said:

@verbtex i have never heard of system wars is it a mobile game?

No, it's a fourm here.

But, in the future, only mods are allowed to respond to threads in ATM.