How is this comment a violation of moderation policies?

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

"Pretty retarded that GTA 5 is PC GOTY. I suppose Pillars of Eternity would have taken the spot if it was from a more popular genre. Traditional RPG stands no chance against a genre as popular as TPS. Well I suppose having a multiplat indie for Xbox GOTY looks worse even if it s a very good indie. A shame that Dying Light had so few nominations in the first place and didn t get anything in the end. For me getting trapped on that zombie-infested bridge at night and forced to find high ground was such a spectacular experience the Bloody Baron questline cannot hold a candle to it."

It's actually a pretty old comment, and I believe it was in the discussion for some other site's GOTY results. I really don't see how it's breaking any rules? Further, the moderator did not include a reason why the comment was removed. Here is the entire email:

Hey GhoX,

Your comment has been removed due to a violation of our moderation policies.

Moderator comment:

Your comment: Pretty retarded that GTA 5 is PC GOTY. I suppose Pillars of Eternity would have taken the spot if it was from a more popular genre. Traditional RPG stands no chance against a genre as popular as TPS.Well I suppose having a multiplat indie for Xbox GOTY looks worse even if it s a very good indie.A shame that Dying Light had so few nominations in the first place and didn t get anything in the end. For me getting trapped on that zombie-infested bridge at night and forced to find high ground was such a spectacular experience the Bloody Baron questline cannot hold a candle to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

GameSpot

Yes, the moderator comment is literally a copy/paste of the removed comment.

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#3 Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

Hey GhoX,

Looking over the post, I can see it contains the word "retard", which is actually not allowed on the forums regardless of how it's used. I believe there may be a list of words that cannot be used going up sometime soon to make this more clear for users. Looking at your account though, it doesn't look like you received any strikes or warnings for this post (you clearly didn't mean any harm), so I wouldn't worry about this particular moderation.

Note to other users: Only GhoX, moderators and staff can respond to this thread. Posts from other users will be deleted.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

A comment towards everyone:

Only the topic starter and moderators are granted the privilege to post in Ask the Mods threads.

This is the general practice that we would prefer to promote in order to prevent miscommunication about moderations which are only issued by the moderator team or someone of similar authority.

------

To further elaborate on Kuromino's response, the moderator team would prefer that users refrain from using the word "retard" in general conversations. This is because with colloquial usage, it is utilized to mock the intelligence of individuals more than anything else. In scientific terms, "retard" is a term meaning inhibited growth, but in many cases, when speaking to laypeople, it is not used because of its negative connotations in prose used by many people outside of scientific professions.

In the past, professionals used the terms "retard" and "idiot" to describe people in certain intelligence ranges as part of their practice. However, modern psychology has changed thus I would think that people ought to as well with that respect of modernity since researchers of the mind have, already.

Regards,

BranKetra