MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I've read the ToU and can't find much more than this sentence that comes anywhere near to addressing whether emulation is an acceptable topic to discuss on the boards:

• Violate any person’s or entity’s legal rights (including, without limitation, intellectual property, privacy, and publicity rights), transmit material that violates or circumvents such rights, or remove or alter intellectual property or other legal notices;

Might've missed something as I recall reading in the past something more explicit in the ToU about prohibiting discussing this topic (alongside piracy), but am unable to find it.

Thing is, emulators are in fact legal, as is playing ROMs on them if you rip them from copies of games you already own. The only thing you cannot do is download them (even if you own one). I can understand not allowing linking or any talk of how to go about emulating, but I'm a bit unclear as to why a potential illegal situation can preemptively shut down an entire topic that can span a broad spectrum, much of which exists within the realm of legality.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#2 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

From the GameSpot Community Code of Conduct:

Emulators: Discussion of the -concept- of emulation and how it affects the industry, and non-console/arcade emulation discussion (such as Virtual Machines or DOSBox) are allowed. All console, arcade, and gaming platform emulation discussion (except where it's officially endorsed by the copyright owners such as console Backwards Compatibility) is not allowed. This includes asking for help with emulation, endorsing emulation, links to emulation or ROM websites, or providing instructions on how to emulate. All other emulation discussion should not be allowed. For more information, see the FAQ.

Can I talk about emulators?

Here are some specific examples of what is, and what is not allowed in discussions regarding emulators:

Allowed: "Discussion of the -concept- of emulation and how it affects the industry, and computer OS (such as Virtual Machines or DOSBox)".

Allowed: "Forms of emulation that are officially endorsed by the copyright holders, such as console backwards compatibility, "classic game packs" sold by companies such as Sega that use emulation to make older console games playable on modern platforms."

Not Allowed: Any console, arcade, and gaming platform emulation discussion (again, except where it's officially endorsed by the copyright owners). This includes asking for help with emulation, endorsing emulation, links to emulation or ROM websites, naming specific emulators, or providing instructions on how to emulate.

Not Allowed: All other forms of emulation discussion not covered above as explicitly allowed.

So as you can see, there is some discussion surrounding emulation that we'll allow. That said, by allowing a broader discussion on emulation it becomes a slippery slope of people mentioning specific emulators and it ends up a bit downhill from there. And the legal side of it all is above our heads, we abide by and assist in enforcing the ToU and CoC. As such, we ask that you please continue to refrain from discussion on emulation and only post about it when a discussion is appropriate.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Thanks for the answer.

If I wanted to create a topic debating not the legality, but the morality of downloading a ROM of a game I already own to benefit from the improvements emulation would bring to the experience, that would be off limits? There have been topics allowed on the morality of piracy and if it can be argued as justifiable, I don't see why one about emulation would be prohibited.