'flOw' is an interesting experience, but it's certainly not for everyone.

User Rating: 7.5 | flOw PS3
Independent game development has come a long way recently. With releases like 'Braid' or the more recent, 'Limbo', indy developers are starting to tap into the mass gaming market more than ever. When the PS3 first came out, Sony released an interesting game onto the PlayStation Network called 'flOw'. While many have said that 'flOw' is more a "playable screensaver", "tech demo" or whatever, I would have to disagree with that. There is a game here and it's not a bad one. It's about as simple as a game can get & it's really hard to put a finger on why 'flOw' works as well as it does. But the game has a certain addictive charm to it.

'flOw' is about as basic as games get. You control one of several aquatic looking lifeforms. Your goal is to eat everything on each level. After doing this, your creature will evolve and get larger. After completing all the levels for one creature, you are given another creature to use and you start it all over again. Each creature has a different special power to use, but the goal remains the same: 'eat everything you can and evolve'.

To be honest, there isn't much game here. 'flOw' can be completed in almost no time, as you can just cruise threw the levels all the way to the end if you want to. If you actually play the game the way you are intended to, it shouldn't take you more than a few hours. Most of the time, this would bug me and I would say the game isn't worth the money, But with 'flOw', it just seems to work. One thing that takes some getting used to is the controls. You are only able to move your creature by using the Siaxis motion controls, which can be annoying but work fine most of the time.

The game looks pretty good and I have to give credit to the developers for some of the best music I have heard in a game for awhile. Overall, 'flOw' is a game, no matter how many reviewers or websites try to tell you different. Sure it's not your typical type of game, but I think it will be fun for the right kind of person. For others, this will be a waste of time and those will be left wondering what all the fuss is about. Either way, I think the game is worth a try to find out.