Big_Zimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Big_Zimm
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Which will be the better tank path? ok so this has been discussed recently on many forums but often when searching for an answer it is met with one of several outcomes... 1 - People do not know for sure so they dont speculate 2 - people agree that they are equal 3 - people base their answer on infomation from 1.0 i appreciate the following assumptions/facts? Marauders have more AoE threat generating tools Marauders can hold threat better marauders mitigate less but have a higher health pool Marauders have higher dps Gladiators mitigate much more and can block Gladiators cant dps for sh*t Gladiators have better single target tanking abilities gladiators are simpler to play ok so my worry is this.... if i roll a marauder, will i eventually get nerfed because i do more dps than a gladiator and therefore should be made inferior in some other way... Will i definitly be able to tank end game content equally as well as a gladiator? if i roll gladiator, will i have a boring time soloing and levelling? will i have a tough time keeping threat against foolish dps? will i have a tough time keeping threat against multiple mobs?will i be the only choice for end game content tanking? i know some people will be tempted to say "just roll both and find out for yourself.." but id like to discuss peoples oppinions and justifications.. im interested in the difference, strengths, weaknesses etc.. i know we havent seen anything end game yet but you all know as well as i do, people have probly picked both classes apart to the point that statistically they are experts :) i want to be the optimum tank and the best choice for tanking all the way through until end game content.. and im sooo confused lol thanks :)
Erkball55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Erkball55
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts

/bump I'm looking for the same info on tanks. Just preordered a couple days ago and never played ver 1.0 so totally new to this mmo.

wubwubwub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 wubwubwub
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I don't think you should nessasarily expect any big dps nerf for Mauraders.  Their DPS will still not compare to any actual DPS class.  Also, I think this is balanced by the gladiator having better damage mitigation, which is a more favorable quality than dps for a tank class.

Yes, I think the Marauder (warrior) will be able to tank end game equal to (but not the same as) gladiators (paladins).  At least I believe this is their intentions with class design.

I chose Marauder because I felt I might possibly get bored with the gladiator (paladin) skills in comparison.  I could be wrong, but that was my impression after reading about them.

I don't think Gladiator will have any more of a hard time keeping threat off foolish dps than a Marauder.  I think it will be hard for either class - dps will be able to steal threat if they try.

With a gladiator, you may have a tougher time keeping threat on multiple mobs.  But if the rest of the party is smart, I would imagine you'd be able to handle most encounters just the same.

I'd like to think that gladiators won't be the only choice for end game tanking.  I took a Marauder and I have faith we will be a suitable choice for just as many occasions as a paladin.

ancova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ancova
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Gladiators/paladins and warriors actually even out in terms of their ability to generate threat. Marauders and Gladiators actually use the same (cross-class) or similar area taunts. Only exception perhaps is that warriors get their aoe damage at lvl 45 while paladins get their aoe damage at lvl 50. Gameplay-wise, paladins use 1 of 2 rotations: 1 to gain threat (savage blade), 2nd to gain mp (riot blade). And every other skill is only used when they need to mitigate damage. Warriors are much more varied in their combos and their moves more situational. There's no way to track how many wrath stacks you have atm, so it is also easier to slip up for warriors. Damage-wise, warrior does only like 18% more damage than the paladin. It's not an awful amount, since you'll still be eclipsed by the dps classes. It probably matters for soloing though. So overall, Paladins are easier and warriors are a little more challenging. Also, as far as theorycrafting goes, the current thought says paladins should increase STR to maximize the % of damage mitigated by block/parry, and warriors increase VIT to increase amount of hp they recover with bloodbath. Under those conditions, it probably evens out in end-game. You might try the opposite, but there's fewer known synergies and I have no idea how that'd turn out.