lvl 1-20 game is horrible, will it get better?

#1 Posted by brodelin (583 posts) -

Well I managed to get to only lvl 21 so my experience is from doing the quests and dungeons up to level 21.

At first I thought I might like this game. The graohics and audio is nice. The game has a standard mmo formua that works gameplay wise and the class & job system is quite intresting.

On to the bad stuff then (remember that this experience comes from reaching only lvl 20):

1. My biggest gripe is that the questing is horrible. The main quest story line might be good but is poorly presented (cut scenes & lip synch with little voice acting feels just bad and outdated). You travel across the map and speak with boring npcs 80% of the time, rest is some fighting/dungeons. 

The Marauder guild quests are just silly. Accept quest -> travel to speak to another npc -> travel some more -> hit a stone with your ability 1 -> report to the quest giver - > rinse and repeat with new quest and a bigger stone :S...

And the worst part  about those quests is that you ARE forced to do them so you can unlock basic content of an MMO like Skills (marauder lvl 15 q gives you tomahawk for example), Dungeons, primals and mounts (by doing the boring main quest).

2. Dont really see any class customization here. Every lancer is like another lancer. Sure you can unlock Dragoon job for lancer but that requires that you grind and lvl a new class. The same goes for cross class skills, you pretty much need to grind new classes to get "some" new skills. 

3. Combat is really boring in this game Not only because the global cooldowns are long & theres no real depth behind managing your resources (either you have TP to cast skills or are forced into auto attack to conserve/regen TP) but most mobs I have encountered in the open world all are passive and nonhostile until you attack them first. This leads to no sense of danger while exploring. 

Tl;dr: While this game gave me poor impression of the early game I would like to know if it gets better if I stick with it and decide to lvl some more. 

#2 Posted by HollowBlade-v2 (131 posts) -

World of warcraft really holds your hand now days and just feeds you everything pretty much for free eh? Hell even in wow if you fail a raid they give you a buff untill you win.... This is an Asian mmo its supposed to be grindy hell this game is pretty generous compared to ff11 which was even more tedious imo not to mention required a group past level 10 or else a level 9 bee would come near close to wrecking you. Also this is an rp mmo where the rp portion is more important than go kill this and this. I can agree that it does get a tad annoying running from place to place over and over.

#3 Posted by kussese (1555 posts) -

The first 20 levels or so are essentially an extended tutorial. The difficult starts to ramp up starting at the first optional dungeon. 

#4 Posted by _Binx_ (132 posts) -
I really want to like this game, but I have to agree with all of OP's points here. I can deal with the boring quests, since I don't find MMORPG quests to be particularly intriguing anyway. My two main gripes are mind numbingly boring combat and no class customization what so ever (choosing a skill or two from a secondary or tertiary class doesn't count as customization in my book). During my first 23 levels as Gladiator I have used primarily two skills and a third to gain aggro from mobs (which works poorly in my experience). They all have the same global cooldown and even if I try to think of it as a kind of ATB as we know it from the regular FF games, it simply strikes me as a pacekiller and eliminates any kind of tactics from the combat - at least on the Gladiator. There's never any question as to which skill I should be using next. Got aggro? Hit keys 1 and 2 for attack combos. Don't have aggro? Use your aggro skill. Done. Sure, I have Shield Bash to stun my enemy and interrupt his casting, but this also runs on that same global cooldown which means that more often than not it will be on cooldown when I need it, and when it comes off cooldown it'll be too late anyway.
#5 Posted by ancova (25 posts) -
I will admit I came in to the game expecting many of these shortcomings. The game text, while mildly amusing at times, is far from stellar. The cut-scenes can be a little jarring, especially since we've become accustomed to voice for them, but it's not a game breaker for me. The quest-gating is not fun, but i can understand them wanting to put players through a tutorial for the game features. it's just something I put up with as a game friendly to new mmo players. Some classes are more interesting to play than others. Sad to say, but the Gladiator and its associated job, Paladin, are known for practicality than compelling gameplay. Marauder and Warrior are slightly more interesting than Paladin, but it essentially boils down to whether you have 5 stacks of wrath or not as a warrior. I think the most complicated class is Monk as it requires switching between various martial stances and switching your positioning between back and flank. Other classes don't compare in their resource management. Also, cross-class skills have been a disappointment. A lot of skills you could equip before were removed, so there's only a few choice utility skills available now. Although it can be a grind, I'd continue experimenting with the cross-class skills to see if there's any game changers, such as invigorate. I'd suggest you give warrior or monk a try before your trial runs out, but your concerns with the game so far are definitely true.
#6 Posted by iHavoc00 (25 posts) -

The first 20 levels are definitely like an extended tutorial which has been mentioned.  Combat early on is pretty slow because most of your abilities are locked into the global cooldown so you have very little to mix up.  As I've leveled though I've been picking up a decent amount of skills off of the global so the rotation if you want to call it that has gotten more fun to play.  I also have to assume as your get more skill or spell speed things will get a fair bit better, but I haven't gotten to the point where I have enough to judge yet.

It might just be me, but quests are rarely fun in most games.  They just always feel like tedious running back and forth.  Didn't really like them in WoW, here, or anything else.  Luckily here if you really hate them there are at least FATEs available that there are usually a lot of parties for.  I've personally gotten to the point where I only really do quests for my job or the main quest and just join up for FATEs to level.  Dungeons do actually get more difficult, the early ones are just extremely easy.

As for having to grind out other jobs, I can understand that.  They do actually give you an exp boost when you play a lower job until you get it to or close to the level of the one you've leveled highest.  Any secondary I've worked on hasn't taken more than maybe 2 hours to hit the 15-20 range.  You run into some more hostile mobs later as well, but it never really seems to get to the point in some zones in WoW where you'd get trashed just running through.

I would say try out a couple other classes during your 30 days and see if maybe the one you chose just wasn't your thing.  If it doesn't work out, at least it wasn't the usual $60 to buy the game.

#7 Posted by brodelin (583 posts) -

I guess Ill try to level some more before making my final decision. I actually would like to stick to the Marauder class since I like tanking and Id hate to give up on a mmo just by this early experience. I only hope that I wont be forced into doing the main story and guild quests troughout the whole leveling experince.

#8 Posted by Wanana80 (25 posts) -

I'm worried. I've exactly the same thing in my head. If this really continues up to lvl 50, why did this game got a 7.8 in the first place? What's the remarkable feature of it? I really can't see it.

#9 Posted by S4vagecabbage (81 posts) -

I agree with your point that WOW holds your hand a lot more than it should. The thing I dig about FF XIV is that if you want to get to where it's fun to play, ya gotta earn the skills necessary through grinding. A key component to RPG games. Frustrated about how you want to have more skills? Quit yer belly-achin' and earn them! Grind fool!

#10 Posted by mavyn (25 posts) -
I am at level 15 and I am having the same feelings about this game. I really want to love it. Really. But it just isn't fun to me. The quests are very dry. I don't care for the combat. (My last MMO was Neverwinter, and that one was fun from level 1 to 60.) FFXIV is just not doing it for me. I am going to stick it out a little longer in the hopes that it gets better.
#11 Posted by _Binx_ (132 posts) -
@S4vagecabbage While I get what you're saying, this grinding just isn't for everyone - certainly not for me. It took me about a week to get to level 23 as a Gladiator. A week of gaming that I simply didn't enjoy. "Sticking it out" for level 50 isn't a valid option for me personally. I just don't have that kind of time on my hands. I'd prefer to spend those hours having a good time gaming rather than grinding. To each his own I guess. I'm just sorry that this wasn't for me, as I really love the FF franchise.
#12 Posted by tu2pac (785 posts) -

1. To fix the voice acting, switch to Japanese. Yes, the main quests are boring as heck.

2. When starting a new class with the same character, they level faster based on the level of your main class. For example, I waited until my Archer was level 40 before attempting to turn her into a Bard. It took about 2 hours ... yep, two hours. Hunting log entries, leves and rest bonus. Throw in Fates when they spawn close ... no problem.

The game assumes that by the time you attempt an advanced job, you've been paying attention to the best ways to level. It's really simple...

3. Your third point is false. Skill speed can be fixed by eating certain foods ... and equipment. Are you paying attention to equipment stats? Just because something offers more defense DOES NOT mean it's good to use ...

If your skill speed is that slow, find better gear. Period. And eat food. You dont have to craft it, buy it. Its dirt cheap. They even give it to you as a reward in some quests.

____

The first 20-25 levels are to introduce you to the game and it's mechanics. Yep, the main quests are boring. You're supposed to be joining free companies and making "friends". The end game content is hard, as well as later dungeons. Youll need a group that knows what it's doing. Random parties will likely be wiped out.

There's a reason there are large parties of players roaming the map doing fates together, they are making allies and joining companies together. And when the party is full, they can get tons of exp by doing fates, they finish them in no time by working together. I did one (Fate Party) yesterday to get seals for my Grand company. Leveled and got the seals in no time.

You sound as though you've been playing alone this whole time. If you have then yea, the game is boring. Give it away.

#13 Posted by bucknuts77 (68 posts) -

I played FFXI for years and up to around lev25 it kinda sucked, but after that was very fun. Going to buy this game tomorrow, and considering can buy basic version for $30 and a month free I see no risk. FFXI was a pure grind your ass off and having to party with other people around level 10+ if you want to level fast unlike other mmo's were you can solo to max fast, and I miss that.

#14 Posted by nemesis951988 (27 posts) -

The game is not bad once you hit level 42 you run out of quests and grind from my experiance. I dont like how the dps is very slow, Besides that the game is not bad at all.

#15 Posted by DMND (25 posts) -
It will not get better, quit right now.
#16 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2970 posts) -

Well I managed to get to only lvl 21 so my experience is from doing the quests and dungeons up to level 21.

At first I thought I might like this game. The graohics and audio is nice. The game has a standard mmo formua that works gameplay wise and the class & job system is quite intresting.

On to the bad stuff then (remember that this experience comes from reaching only lvl 20):

1. My biggest gripe is that the questing is horrible. The main quest story line might be good but is poorly presented (cut scenes & lip synch with little voice acting feels just bad and outdated). You travel across the map and speak with boring npcs 80% of the time, rest is some fighting/dungeons. 

The Marauder guild quests are just silly. Accept quest -> travel to speak to another npc -> travel some more -> hit a stone with your ability 1 -> report to the quest giver - > rinse and repeat with new quest and a bigger stone :S...

And the worst part  about those quests is that you ARE forced to do them so you can unlock basic content of an MMO like Skills (marauder lvl 15 q gives you tomahawk for example), Dungeons, primals and mounts (by doing the boring main quest).

2. Dont really see any class customization here. Every lancer is like another lancer. Sure you can unlock Dragoon job for lancer but that requires that you grind and lvl a new class. The same goes for cross class skills, you pretty much need to grind new classes to get "some" new skills. 

3. Combat is really boring in this game Not only because the global cooldowns are long & theres no real depth behind managing your resources (either you have TP to cast skills or are forced into auto attack to conserve/regen TP) but most mobs I have encountered in the open world all are passive and nonhostile until you attack them first. This leads to no sense of danger while exploring. 

Tl;dr: While this game gave me poor impression of the early game I would like to know if it gets better if I stick with it and decide to lvl some more. 

brodelin

No offense, but maybe you just don't like MMOs. You basically described every MMO on the market. Most MMOs don't allow you to change your class, but this is one of the few that does. When I first got this game I was like ok this is pretty cool and now I love this game. The fact that the game isn't voiced doesn't bug me at all because most MMOs aren't voiced. I do admit that this game does have some drawbacks, but it is better than most of the MMOs I have played in the last decade, WoW included. This is the first MMO I have played on a console, but I am having a great time. 

Anyways to answer you question, yes it does it better. Just like every MMO, it takes patience.