blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I have a few questions about this game, as I'm new to MMOs and am interested in this and ESO next year.  First off, I read before that the first 30 days are free for new players, is this still true for this game?

Second, what do the sub fees go towards, any idea how frequent content updates will occur?

For those who have been in beta, are there enough things to do or does it get boring?

Is there voice chat when playing with others (if there's not I guess I could just use Skype or Hangouts)?

And any other MMO basics you can think of are welcome, thanks!

Exziled_Boota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Exziled_Boota
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
30 days are free for new players, is this still true for this game? To answer this as i have read into. IS there should be 30 days free when you make the purchase of the game. what do the sub fees go towards, any idea how frequent content updates will occur? I'd think for company profits and maybe towards expansions and content updates. Last i heard the "Creator" stated a major update about every 3 months. are there enough things to do or does it get boring? i was in it for a short time. There is never nothing to do. With Fate Events and stuff to Slay ect and alot of quests and grinding to make your character your way Is there voice chat when playing with others (if there's not I guess I could just use Skype or Hangouts)? i think PS3 can party chat. some use Ventrillo and others use skype or hangouts. Im pondering using skype for my Free company/Guild when i open it All i can say is i'd love to chat and help out all i can when i can. If ya have any MMO experience it may go a long long way. :) And any other MMO basics you can think of are welcome, thanks!
ancova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ancova
Yes, for most subscription models, the first 30 days are free. FFXIV is no exception. Afterwards, you can decide whether to continue the subscription or not. The subscription fees go towards supporting the development of new content and maintenance of game support. This includes player q&a as well as bot hunting, amongst other things. New content updates are scheduled to be released every 2-3 months, which is the standard time for most players to finish the majority of content and collect end-game gear. I believe the first update for FFXIV is scheduled in October, and will include guild housing and possibly a new primal (dungeon/raid). I'm not certain on the latter. FFXIV has a tiered play structure. It is actually very instructive in telling you what you can do in the game and introducing it to you. The game introduces new game features about every 10 levels. First 10 levels are questing and grinding a single class. It goes by fast since the story quest will greatly speed up your playthrough. Afterwards, you can select alternate classes and get involved in crafting. Levels 10-20 introduce you to party mechanics (4-man) and get you involved with dungeons as well as instanced quests. At Level 30, you should be acquainted with specialized party roles and larger parties (8-man dungeons). After that, there are more dungeons, raids (24-man parties), and pvp events. Overall, I believe the game is quite good for new mmo players, especially as it focuses on multiplayer content a lot more. As a new player or veteran to mmos, be aware that the game gives you a lot of freedom in how you approach the content. The story quest essentially introduces you to all the content and then leaves you alone to work on whatever you want. Other MMOs are stricter in how they want you to experience the game, so just be aware of that intended design. It also helps that the gameplay is relatively slower compared to other mmos to promote a more thoughtful playstyle. This can be useful for new mmo players as it gives you more time to work out skill rotations for higher level play. It is not for everyone though, so be aware of that feature before committing to the game. Many of the more hardcore guilds will ask for voice chat. The most common programs are ventrillo, teamspeak, and mumble. Skype and Raidcall are free programs increasing in popularity, but I'm unfamiliar with hangout. For the most part, the guild will decide which voice service they want to use and often pay for the voice chat server themselves. It is up to you whether or not you want to invest in the guild or not. Also, at the time of writing, the server is severely congested. S-E has informed us they are expanding the data center and adding more servers, but it will be about a week before we see any effect, if any. I would wait until the server problem is resolved before picking the game up. Instead, take the time to instead read up on FFXIV and subscription gaming. There's a series of youtube videos by Xenahort1227 and ZiggyD that I think are really accurate in their explanation of the game and the subscription model compared to other models. They're perhaps skewed on their perception of the game itself, but portray the game features more or less accurately. If you're not certain of what you want in your mmo, you should probably wait until more beginner-friendly reviews from gamespot or ign are out if you're still on the fence.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueboxdoctor

Thanks for all the info.  I'll check out the youtube videos mentioned.  The server updates have me holding off for now just so I won't have to worry about it, and I'm thinking I may wait for a Gamespot or IGN review, as I'm watching all the impression videos now.

This game kind of came out of nowhere for me, as I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy fan, but watching the 2 hour video IGN had the other day I became really interested in it. 

ancova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ancova
you're welcome. The review from gamespot and ign should come out in about 3-4 weeks after release. If you decide to give the game a try, I hope to see you on either the Leviathan or Balmung servers.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blueboxdoctor

The more I watch of this the more the combat system kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy 12.  I don't know if that's a fair comparison, but even if it isn't I do like how it's all in real time without having to cut to a battle scene like in most other Final Fantasy games (I guess it makes sense too since that would be kind of very hard to try and replicate in a MMO).

When you equip new weapons and armor do they actually go on your person or is it like other Final Fantasy games where you equip something but your person still looks the same?

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blueboxdoctor

I decided to pick up the game today.  Currently making my character, trying to replicate Katniss Everdeen since I was planning on being an archer may as well go all out.

ancova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ancova
When you equip different weapons/armor, it will change the appearance of your character. Some weapons are more noticeable than others, but it will present the actual weapon you have equipped. If you like, you can toggle on/off the appearance of your headgear and weapon in your Character Menu.
greenballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 greenballer
Member since 2004 • 619 Posts

As a experienced mmo gamer for starters this is a good game for new players to get into. 1 reason no open world pvp to discourage people. Also the game does a very good job introducing things to people. I say try it your 30 starts when you activate your account so try it out.