As a port it's subpar to the playstation version, with mods though it's nearly perfect.

User Rating: 9.5 | Final Fantasy VII PC
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game in the series. Now that's out of the way I first played FFVII when it was on the PC when it came out in 98. Back then it was my only experience with the classic so it was an instant classic in my eyes, unaware that the playstation version was actually superior to the PC version is just about every way.

Yet when 2012 rolled around I bought FFVII on Square's store online, figuring they'd atleast upscale the graphics to 1080p. The port is probably the laziest port I've seen EVER. That is pretty bad, then you're probably wondering, "Why give it a 9.5?" You'd be right. The port as is, would get an 7.5 and that's only because the gameplay and plot are intact. I really do feel having smooth graphics is important along with good sound quality. The PSN version was a better port because the pre rendered backgrounds were not fuzzy and the sound was the same as it was on the PS1.

Though then comes a bit of research and modding. There can be an argument for PC gaming because of modding and this release is a prime example of it.

If you plan to pick up FFVII for the PC, do yourself a favor and mod it. It really does change the experience. In a way it does feel like playing an actual remake. With the graphics, sound, menus and even difficulty adjusted by various mods, you really can't go wrong with it. It makes it the definitive version.

I will review FFVII PC AS IS. Meaning that this is what you get when you download the game with no modding.

The graphics are slightly improved. The character models are sharper, have more detail and while still 'lego' like, are very crisp and lose all the jagged edges the PS1 version had. Though the issue here is that the pre rendered backgrounds are rather fuzzy. I suggest if this is the only version you play, it might be a good idea to move your monitor back, it can get to be distracting.

The sound is pretty bad. Despite 2012 being the age of MP3's and orchestrated soundtracks, it uses MIDI. While MIDI isn't bad, it's no where near as good as the PS1 version.

The story is intact as the original. It's still a fantastic story that really grabs the player by their seat and doesn't let go until the final conclusion. It has everything a great RPG needs, drama, action, excellent plot twists and a fantastic protagonist and antagonist. The PC re-release also corrects just about all the translation errors which definitely go in it's favor.

The gameplay is the same as before. FFVII had my favorite gameplay in the series so this is still very good.

All and all it's an above average port.

Graphics: 6/10
Story: 10/10
Sound: 6/10
Gameplay: 9/10

Final Score: 7.5/10

With MODS though it does change.

Modding adds quite a bit of complexity and really does upgrade the experience. Depending on your patience though it can be a little frustrating getting it to work but when you do it makes the final result the definitive version.

Score for FFVII PC with MODS:

Graphics: 9/10
Sound: 10/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Story: 10/10

Final Score: 9.5/10

If you're not into modding and just want to experience FFVII out of the box, you'd probably be better off getting it off the PSN. It's cheaper.

Though Modding can be a little bit of a pain, it does give excellent results and makes it feel like the closest thing we may get to seeing FFVII in actual HD unless Square-Enix decides to remake it down the road.

If the PC version is the only way to play it and you're not into modding, it's not the worst thing you'll experience and for it's plot and gameplay it is worth playing despite it's short comings as a port.