Good game

User Rating: 7.5 | FIFA Soccer 06 PS2
I must admit I was a bit disappointed when I first played this game. Figuring out how to maneuver your player around a defender was much more complicated than in FIFA 2005 because the defender would come alongside the man with the ball, slowing him down in the process as the defender catches up. This is a huge knock on the gameplay as it was an attempt to bring in realism but actually makes it unrealistic and frustrating. It removes a sense of individualism with the players and causes you to use more passing.

FIFA 06 has new commentators, Clive Tyldesley and Andy Gray replace John Motson and Ally McCoist. I actually prefer Clive Tyldesley to John Motson in actual football matches but in the video game I preferred John Motson for some odd reason.

This game has a good single player career mode which puts the player in the perspective of a manager. I like this mode as it allows you to manage player contracts and player morale as well as the fitness level of the players. Random events occur in which your decision will either increase your wealth, bring in more fan interest into your club, or decrease either of these things. I spent a long time on this and had a fun time with the different teams I had, I must say my Real Madrid side was amazing since my lowest rated player was an 89.

The amount of Leagues in this game is really good. The top leagues in Europe are all represented except for the Turkish and Greek Leagues (of which I can think of). The only non-European leagues however are Mexican League, MLS, K-League, and Brazilian League. In the International scene, the top countries are all represented (with the Netherlands as the only notable exclusion). I do like the new "International Selection" option for the national teams as you can choose to be on the national team who have retired from international play such as Paolo Maldini and Paul Scholes.

This game has many extras available too. You can unlock the World XI which is an all-world team with the world's best players as well as a Classic XI team which has many legends such as Carlos Alberto, Beckenbauer, Cantona, Hugo Sanchez, Hagi, and Zico. Although there were notable exclusions such as Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, and Platini I thought this was a good group since ratings for players are going to be controversial. There is also a retro FIFA 94 in the game which has the players names changed due to copyright issues.

All in all I think this is a good football game however it isn't without it's faults. If you're looking to pick up a fun game of football I think that you can go without this one however I did like the extras and the career mode.