Is it really a Far Cry from it's Xbox predecessor? Find out in this review.

User Rating: 9.7 | Far Cry Instincts Predator X360
AN IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR (CONTAINS OPINIONS AND THOUGHTS ON XBOX 360, PS3, ETC. FEEL FREE TO SKIP TO THE REVIEW BELOW THIS PARAGRAPH): I have some news for everyone that, after reading some of the reviews I have for some of the 360 titles, I feel really needs to be said. *sigh*. I hate to tell you this, but the Xbox 360 does NOT cook pizza. It also will NOT clean your room, do your job, and revolutionize your entire life. The worse news? Neither will the PS3 or the Revolution. I really feel that was worth stating because, and this is just my opinion, but I'm sick and tired of reading reviews that contain nothing but somebody complaining that (enter any title other than GRAW or DOA4 here) isn't up to Xbox 360 capabilities and isn't "next-gen." In fact, we shouldn't even be saying "next-gen" anymore because the 360 is out right NOW, thus making it a part of the "current-gen" if you want to get technical. If you bought a 360 thinking that you were getting some sort of virtual reality machine, you really should have done some research. Fight Night Round 3, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Oblivion, Call of Duty 2; these are all "next-gen" games. And if you have a PC, don't come and post about how much the 360 sucks next to your "gaming rig" that you've dumped thousands of dollars into so you can play Quake 4 or F.E.A.R. If PC gaming was that good, the PC gaming industry wouldn't be steadily declining in sales and you wouldn't have coughed up $300 for a console. And anyone who says the PS3 or Revolution is going to "stomp Micro$oft" is making statements on PURE speculation. Am I a fan boy? No. I love all games. But if you think Sony won't try to pinch every single penny they can off of you when PS3 launches, you're kidding yourself. Well, now that I got all that off my chest, here's my review. My apologies if I offended anyone.

FAR CRY INSTINCTS PREDATOR REVIEW:

We were first introduced to Far Cry: Instincts back on the original Xbox. It was a very well-received game and my personal choice for best FPS (single-player campaign) on the console. When I first got wind that Far Cry would be coming to 360, my first question was, "Will we get a TRUE sequel?" While Far Cry: Instincts Predator doesn't much deliver on that, it does deliver the best FPS experience on the 360 since Call of Duty 2. (IMO). Here's how this game breaks down:

Graphics: They were amazing on Xbox, and they're amazing on 360. I wouldn't say that you've seen it ALL done before in the first one, but alot of things do look similar. The most noticeable element to have a stand-out graphics enhancement is definitly the water. It looks about as real as you can get without diving in for real. Guns look good, there's an excellent use of shadowing, and the environments are, for the most part, crisp and detailed, a bit moreso than their original Xbox counterparts.

Sound: Guns sound very nice, and explosions from the hand grenades look and sound alot like C.O.D.2. Enemy chatter is alright but nothing new if you've already played through the game. Perhaps the best part of it all is the ambient sounds (environmental sounds, i.e. birds, etc.). You really feel like you're walking around on an island.

Control: Pick up and play for just about everyone. Anyone who's played a FPS has gotten used to this scheme. The only tricky part is using the right bumper to set traps, and even that becomes second nature with a little practice. Movement of your character is easy and responsive, as is aiming down the barrel of your weapons. With the sniper rifle, you can hold your breath for a limited amount of time to help you steady your aim.

Entertainment: If you're the kind of person who likes to create maps, this game will keep you entertained for a very long time. The map editor is awesome, and there's few things more rewarding than being able to customize your very own tropical paradise for battle. The single player campaign is a direct port from the Xbox version until you hit Evolution obviously, so you can set your bearings based on that information. Also, one thing that does kind of suck is that you HAVE to play through Instincts to get to Predator. I would love to know the train of thought behind that, since Ubisoft should know that 80% of the people who are going to buy this game have played it on the Xbox. For that, the game lost a couple of points. Also, be ready for a harder A.I. and more enemies in alot of areas. I found myself repeating a few spots multiple times before clearing them.

In short, if you like FPS games, you'll LOVE Far Cry: Instincts Predator. If you never played the old Far Cry, you simply can't miss this one. If you have, then your feelings towards that game will pretty much carry over to this one. It's been some time since I played the original and I am enjoying playing this version very much. In the end, I have no reason NOT to recommend this game as a purchase. If you're thinking of renting it first, I can also very highly recommend that as well. Bottom line: Excellent game worth a playthrough for anyone who loves a GREAT FPS.