Just started the game, seems bloated...

#1 Posted by geosurface (68 posts) -

I've just started playing it a bit. I loved Far Cry 1, I skipped Far Cry 2. Didn't look appealing.

Now this one so far has some promise but good lord... it's going to take a lot of ignoring of certain things for me to end up enjoying it.

I would've preferred to just have it be more of a straight forward shooter like the original. I'm not opposed to doing some sort of open world with mission hubs... but man alive, I'm so early in and it's already clear this is an overbloated gimmick-fest.

I can't go 2 seconds without something popping up, some update on crap... another tutorial, another key that will need pushing periodically... streamlined this is not.

I realize the early parts of games always are loaded with tutorial, but c'mon. This has gone too far.

Achievement for every time you breath...

I'm surprised it's not popping up options for me to interface the game with twitter and facebook to relay every inch my character walks to all my friends!

For the love of god, just let me play the game. I don't need all this **** it detracts from the fun honestly.

I intend to power past these annoyances and expect to enjoy the game, but even Skyrim which has a much better claim to including all this stuff in it because of it's genre, was much more subtle and elegant about it.

#2 Posted by mufaa (957 posts) -
I guess you have never played any Assassin's Creed games. Same devs, same game structure. It is not overwhelming or confusing to me, and I am the guy that gets confused and overwhelmed pretty quick in games if there is just too much s***t on screen for me to see, read and take-in and process. Basically, it boils down to this: You have outposts to capture and Towers to climb to unlock map areas. These two are vital for survival. Outposts will have basic sidequest like fetch or kill. And then you have the story missions. That's it. You have hunting, which I recommend you get it out of the way as soon as possible. Get a bigger wallet, holster slots and medicine syringes. Hunting is super easy. Another thing is skills. You need XP and that should come by easily.
#3 Posted by geosurface (68 posts) -

I guess you have never played any Assassin's Creed games. Same devs, same game structure. It is not overwhelming or confusing to me, and I am the guy that gets confused and overwhelmed pretty quick in games if there is just too much s***t on screen for me to see, read and take-in and process. Basically, it boils down to this: You have outposts to capture and Towers to climb to unlock map areas. These two are vital for survival. Outposts will have basic sidequest like fetch or kill. And then you have the story missions. That's it. You have hunting, which I recommend you get it out of the way as soon as possible. Get a bigger wallet, holster slots and medicine syringes. Hunting is super easy. Another thing is skills. You need XP and that should come by easily.mufaa

You're correct, I have never played an assassin's creed game.

It's not that I can't handle a complex game with lots of tasks, I loved Skyrim, I've played MMOs since Ultima Online. But I wasn't looking for a crafting, errand running MMO game here I was looking for an FPS.

I loved the first Far Cry, I didn't need all this crap grafted onto it.

I don't reject the idea that FPS games can evolve over time, I'm not asking for everything to just be Doom with better graphics forever. But, I don't think this is the right direction to head in. Maybe I'll change my tune as I play further into it.

#4 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
I found it frustrating early too because rather than go hunting I went straight into missions. I soon found I couldn't pickup anymore items because my inventory was full and I couldn't sell anything because my wallet wasn't big enough. So then I set off hunting to upgrade everything. I've now crafted a few things and back to doing missions. The game is a lot of fun so far, I can see how annoying it having to go hunt to upgrade when you just want to jump in and blow stuff up. Along the way I did clear out a few outposts to keep the action going and did a few radio tower climbs. I'm really enjoying the game, but I do understand how it pretty much forces you along the path at the start. However thats also part of Jasons journey. He goes from a young immature kid to a killer and this is him learning to live off the land preparing to take the fight to the pirates.
#5 Posted by mufaa (957 posts) -
If you looking for a nonsense FPS, then I guess FC 3 is not your cup of tea. Have you tried other games out this year? BLOPS II is surprisingly good. Halo 4 is excellent too. Dishonored is agreat, too, not a shooter but so satisfying.
#6 Posted by geosurface (68 posts) -

If you looking for a nonsense FPS, then I guess FC 3 is not your cup of tea. Have you tried other games out this year? BLOPS II is surprisingly good. Halo 4 is excellent too. Dishonored is agreat, too, not a shooter but so satisfying.mufaa

I've played Halo 4, which I enjoyed (but not as good as the Bungie efforts) and I've played Dishonored (which was really good, that's a good example of an FPS type game with lots of hub stuff, objectives, etc which I feel executed it better)

I don't play COD and MW stuff.

I haven't written off Far Cry 3 yet.

#8 Posted by davidsworld3 (3523 posts) -

This is way better than those crappy assasine creed games. I got the 3rd game hearing such great stuff about it, but the graphics are lack luster, the gameplay sucks everything is slightly buggy and just feels and looks average. Really regret getting that game, but this one is loaded with content I feel like I really got my 60 bucks worth out of it.

#9 Posted by alphatango1 (3778 posts) -

To be fair there are a lot of pops up, but that is only in the beginning.

They probably felt that some gamer unfamiliar with the first may need some hand holding. It did anger me too and I swore at the screen more than one occasion. Cant say I have seen anymore of them now Im deeper into it.

I have played all the FC games and this one is the best. It shows how to make a high quality game with real value and long term playabiliity. I love the freedom to roam and that should be applauded. Havent even looked at the map editor yet.

#10 Posted by LLYNCES (378 posts) -

I thought that it being open world was a good thing, even a great thing. Why would you want a linear FPS shooting game? I love how everything is so open and beautiful in this game. I love sneaking up on camps and deciding how to go about taking it over - being able to approach it from any direction I see fit.

I also love exploring, and how there are animals out and about that you can hunt and kill for upgrades for your character. There isn't "too many objectives" Climb towers to explore more of the map and do the single story missions if you want a more linear experience. The side quests and billboard missions are all optional content, and the game isn't forcing you to do anything but the main story.

I don't know how you could possibly say the game feels "bloated' Skyrim was about 10x more bloated than this game.

#11 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
Did you even look up what this game was gonna be like?You should have done your homework...its like complaining about Call of Duty having guns...
Avatar image for BAND1Tevolved13
#12 Posted by BAND1Tevolved13 (309 posts) -

Its not bloated if you consider the type of game it is. This is different than your average shooter and I wish more developers made games like this.

Its like Red Dead and Skyrim had a baby on a tropical island.

#13 Posted by geosurface (68 posts) -

Just an update from the OP:

(not that anyone even remotely cares or remembers this thread)

But I ended up liking Far Cry 3 a *lot* - fantastic game. Really, just about flawless.

#14 Posted by Dasim64 (3855 posts) -

Thankfully the latest patch allowed us to turn off some of the pop ups and other annoying "features" of the game. Unfortunately they didn't give us a way to turn off the frikkin' annoying messages that pop up every 30 seconds when we're inside an enemy encampment during the second half of the game. Those really got on my nerves. Thankfully they go away once the game is over and you reset all the encampments because you aren't wearing the disguise any longer. But I agree that this game is really amazing and I've really enjoyed it for the most part.