Action, Horror, Atmosphere, and a little girl.

User Rating: 8.5 | F.E.A.R. PC
Flashback 10 years ago the release of DOOM for the computer and people went ballistic for its violent content, creepy lighting effects and terrifying monsters. Flash forward ten long years of technical advancement and we have F.E.A.R. Possibly one of the best horror shooters available to date. The game is successful due to its ability to seamlessly blend action style shooting which moody atmospheric sights and sounds, with the combination of brief intense music and flashes of a terrifying little girl the game is successful in establishing a balance between balls out action and creepy corner turning horror.

The plot of F.E.A.R. is competent in its ability to give you an objective without giving you the sense of an overwhelming plethora of detail. While still giving an ambition to the player to find out what happens next the plot seems minimalist and draws on influences from such Japanese horror films as Juon, and Ringu.

Personally being a fan of games with horror built into the plot i fell in love with F.E.A.R. There is something magical about blasting someone into a red mist and then turning a corner to see the lurking shadow of a little girl who disappears into a puff of smoke. It kept me on the edge of my seat which lead for an excellent occurence of me looking at my watch and being "Is that the time!"

I also found that though F.E.A.R. is a horror game it also borrows alot of its tricks from the Max Payne franchise. Take for instance your ability to slow down time and essentially massacre your opponents without batting an eye. The game also borrows the dream sequence from Max Payne being that which transitions the game between hectic shootouts.

If there is one complaint to be said about F.E.A.R. is that there i little variety. The game pits you against the same enemies throughout the game and i felt like I was wandering through the same warehouses and office buildings over and over. To be fair these minor blemishes never get in the way of pants-wettingly fun F.E.A.R. is and should not be tossed aside as another run-of-the mill shooter.