This addictive roguelike will frustrate you and still have you coming back for more punishment. Yeah, take it.

User Rating: 7.5 | Dungeons of Dredmor PC
This is one of those games that goes under the radar. Roguelikes are not for everybody, but Dungeons of Dredmor breathes some new life to the genre. I've played through this umpteen times on "Rogue" (Hard) difficulty, on Permadeath, and still haven't beat it, refusing to look up any guides apart from what skills actually do. So believe me when I tell you, this game will grab hold of your balls and challenge the ever-loving sh*t out of you.

So let's begin with the pros and cons, then I'll go into some deeper aspects of the game.

PROS:

Immersive, and amazingly so. There's a million ways to play this game, and it will give you *plenty* of opportunity to test out different builds. But, on the other side of the coin, it also gives you plenty of variety in difficulty, with 3 difficulty settings, a permadeath/ironman setting, and a setting to make the floors smaller but grant the same experience. You select each of these every time you make a character.

Witty. This game would get the "not as funny as it thinks it is" award if it weren't for the clever use of deadpan references, most of which you'll get, and some of which you'll be like "heh, I got that, bet no one else did." The humor serves as a nice respite from the many servings of pain pudding this game can potentially give you. Really though, while some of the humor falls flat, most of it will make you smirk.

Good graphics for its genre. Remember, this is a roguelike, and it's not meant to be flashy, but the sprites are well designed, well animated, effects look good and appropriate for what they do.

Music is decent. A couple tracks are reminiscent of Castlevania, while others you might expect to hear in a bar on Tatooine. Some are a mix of both. Either way, while it gets a bit grating sometimes, they're well done and enjoyable for the most part. Similarly, sound effects are satisfying; not much else to say about that.

Moddable. I haven't messed with any of the mods myself, but it looks like there are quite a few from what I've browsed on the intertubes.

Replayability. Few games are as replayable as this. You can make seemingly infinite combinations of skillsets for characters, and the dungeons are always randomized. You'll be excited to die so you can make a new character.

CONS:

Crafting system. Horrible UI for this. While the game even mocks itself for having an awful, unrefined crafting system, the UI for it is just atrocious. It does, however, get points for being very in-depth. Problem is...

Inventory space. I am so damned tired of hearing "your inventory is full" I want to punch the screen sometimes. Fortunately, you get a little "pocket dimension" early on that you can teleport to at any time and store your goods (on the floor). Unfortunately...

Bugs, particularly crashes. I'm positive one of them was a memory leak from me storing three inventory's worth of crap in my pocket dimension. The others, well, I dunno, but at least the game auto-saves fairly frequently to compensate.

Lack of explanation. This adds to the difficulty, which I partly appreciate, but for the most part it's annoying. Granted, I didn't do the tutorial, but a lot of stuff seems to just go unexplained. Guess I can't say much since I didn't even play the tutorial though.

Weak story. Not that this type of game is supposed to have much of a story, though, so I didn't take any points off for that.

-----

Overall this game is just plain fun. It'll make you work, but you'll enjoy every minute of it. You'll welcome the torment. This game gets big points for being able to make you laugh and cry, with minimal storytelling involved--that's just from the gameplay. You can make it as easy or as hard as you want on yourself, and you can *definitely* make this game very, very hard. But it leaves it up to you. Dangles the challenge in front of you like so many carrots on a stick. Give it a shot, even if you've never played a game like this, it's all kinds of fun.