Doing almost no damage in BBI?

#1 Posted by Aldes1 (25 posts) -

So, after beating the game and the post-game, I NG+'d and headed to the BBI. I have to say.. It seems a bit imbalanced. Up until I started encountering Death in The Bloodless Stockade, I was doing somewhat alright. Some enemies absolutely fell apart when I faced them. Others it seems I could do nearly no damage, but I eventually whittled them down. However, now that I'm in The Bloodless Stockade, suddenly any enemies stronger than a typical undead/larva take absolutely forever to kill, and often require gimicky tactics. The pawns I've recently started running into can easily take off half my health, if not OHKO with a long-casting spell. My regular attacks seem to do almost no damage, even with some of the best weapons in the game(Heaven's Key, Ascalon, a BBI Magic Bow, etc). Some skills just seem to do massively more damage as well, for some reason. For instance, Explosive Rivet almost always does huge damage, whereas skills like Sixfold Shot (which many people have said was very strong) does almost no damage! I assume that this is mainly because of weaknesses, but I know that the undead would be weak to Holy as well, yet my attacks with Heaven's Key and Ascalon seem to do medium damage, at best. Also, many people have mentioned how powerful Immolation -- especially while climbing -- and Hundred Kisses are. Yet my Hundred Kisses seems to do next to no damage! My Immolation does a decent bit, but nothing to write home about, even when climbing. Mind you, it's also strengthened to Flameshroud by a ring I found.. 

I guess I'm just saying.. Why do I do such terrible damage? On SOME enemies, I do massive amounts, and on others, nearly nothing. Yet my pawns never seem to have trouble doing damage to any of them. I played as Magician for a while, then Sorcerer, then in my 50~60s, I believe I switched to Mystic Knight for a while, and now I'm a Magic Archer. As mentioned previously, I have some of the best weapons, and some decent armor, as well as good augments.. So what's causing my damage to be so terrible? Any suggestions? Explanations? Thanks!

#2 Posted by katerinafm (276 posts) -

BBI can be challenging even at level 200 if you haven't leveled up your character correctly. Most enemies have high resistances and are weak to specific elements, and not always what you think (cyclopses in the main game were weak to lighting, but the big cyclopses in BBI are weak to ice). I've found that a really strong offence beats a strong defence in BBI. Also, magic users have a much easier time. My level 120 at the time assassin had a harder time than my level 70 at the time sorcerer, and my level 200 fun character had a horrible time due to stats all over the place. Also there are way more powerful weapons now with BBI than the Ur-Dragon ones. There is a new holy sword and archstaff, for example.

Also if you're in hard mode pretty much everything one-two shots you in BBI. Try leveling up a bit and coming back if progress seems impossible.

#3 Posted by Aldes1 (25 posts) -

BBI can be challenging even at level 200 if you haven't leveled up your character correctly. Most enemies have high resistances and are weak to specific elements, and not always what you think (cyclopses in the main game were weak to lighting, but the big cyclopses in BBI are weak to ice). I've found that a really strong offence beats a strong defence in BBI. Also, magic users have a much easier time. My level 120 at the time assassin had a harder time than my level 70 at the time sorcerer, and my level 200 fun character had a horrible time due to stats all over the place. Also there are way more powerful weapons now with BBI than the Ur-Dragon ones. There is a new holy sword and archstaff, for example.

Also if you're in hard mode pretty much everything one-two shots you in BBI. Try leveling up a bit and coming back if progress seems impossible.

katerinafm

I'm very highly based upon offense. I think I just need to learn to use enemies' weaknesses more readily. Still not so sure why my Dagger attacks are so weak, however, when many people have mentioned how powerful they are. Maybe it's a lack of strength (despite them being perm-enchanted)? 

#4 Posted by katerinafm (276 posts) -
If the enemies are resistant to the element your dagger is enchanted with, then you could be doing less damage than when you'd have a dagger with no enchantments on it at all. Holy enchantment helped a lot with the most powerful enemies in the main game, but in BBI enemies could be resistant to it. If your level is under 100, I'd recommend leveling up and coming back. Level up as an assassin if you want to upgrade your strength stat the most.
#5 Posted by Karathrax (25 posts) -

I'm very highly based upon offense. I think I just need to learn to use enemies' weaknesses more readily. Still not so sure why my Dagger attacks are so weak, however, when many people have mentioned how powerful they are. Maybe it's a lack of strength (despite them being perm-enchanted)?

Aldes1
It may not be that the daggers are weak, but that the element may not be always appropriate. Think of elements as a percentage modifier on your damage. There are two types of damage in this game, STR-based and MAG-based, with two accordingly different thresholds. If your daggers' permanent enchantment is not one the enemy is weak to, then the percentage modifier for the elemental damage on the str and mag based portions of your attack is not as strong, though it does help some. If the enemy is resistant to that particular element, then the attack's damage is actually reduced. You can overwrite your primary weapon's inherent element yourself if you're a Mystic Knight by casting a different elemental Trance, or if you're a Sorcerer by self-casting an affinity (click in the left analog stick to cast it on yourself), otherwise, a pawn will need to cast an affinity on you. A MA's bow is unaffected by affinities as each spell it casts when shooting has its own permanent enchantment that cannot be changed. A weapon's inherent element can also be made more powerful by casting its own element on it; e.g., a holy weapon like Heaven's Keys will be more powerful if a Holy Affinity is cast on it.