The Best Dragon Ball Game in Years.

User Rating: 7 | Dragon Ball: Xenoverse XONE

Whether you have liked or disliked the DragonBall video games in recent years, most people can agree on the waning quality of the series in recent years. This is what developer DIMPS has hoped to change, with the series in it's best outing since Tenkaichi 3.

The game plays at its core similar to the Budokai series, also developed by DIMPS. Whilst I haven't played much of those games myself, there is also a fair mix of the slightly newer Budokai Tenkaichi series, which I thoroughly enjoyed as well. The battles are flashy, fast paced, and full of loads of things DBZ fans will recognise, from throwing multiple galick guns around to firing off an intergalactic spirit bomb.

The game controls quite nicely actually, with attacks having a lot of weight to them, and everything is generally quite responsive. However, some of the movement is very loose, and I noticed that soemtimes the attacks seem to cut out for no discernable reason, which can be especially frustrating if you happen to be low on health or near the end of a fight. These are fairly rare though.

The character customization is extensive, and I throughly enjoy levelling up the player made character through multiple battles. It is also a good feature to have many different races to choose from (Earthling, Saiyan, Majin (like buu), Namekian, and even the freiza race), each with their own strengths and weaknesses. However, it was quite dissapointing to find out that only the saiyans have any meaningful transformations with super saiyan 1 and 2, with the others only having kaio ken to boost their stats in battle. Despite this, the races are fairly balanced in how they fight, and fans can feel free to choose what they like without feeling underpowered by doing so.

My main complaints are the somewhat backwards difficulty curve, as well as the frustration in later fights. The hardest fight I experienced was only halfway through the game, and afterwards the fights were a lot easier. I had chosen saiyan, maybe I would've had a different experience with a different race, but it seemed clear to me how unbalanced the game was as it progressed. The later fights simply gave the enemies longer health bars, without making them any more difficult to defeat. This made the game begin to become a chore to play, simply wittling their health bars down with multiple super attacks until the finish.

Overall, I would say this is a great game for fans of the series, or just fast fighting games in general. The story has been revamped, breathing new life into the characters, the combat is involved, flashy, if with a few flaws. There is a great game here, and if the developers thought a bit harder about the difficulty curve and used a tad less repition in the battles, this would easily be one of the best games of the year. Even so, It is still thoroughly enjoyable and I highly recommend getting it if you are a fan looking for a genuinely good Dragon Ball game.