Some Serious Issues

#1 Posted by silunt (164 posts) -

The game has several serious issues that need to be talked about.

The worst is that they launched the game with some critical networking bugs (do a search for dota 2 disconnecting internet); for alot of people (not all but juding by the large number of posts quite a few) the game works fine until they pick their hero and try to play the actual game. They are suddenly locked down with what appears to be a massive lag spike, you cant move or do anything, now n then it'll stutter out a line of chat and eventually take you back to the main screen. If you alt tab out at that point you will find your browser wont work nor anything else net related. I would reset my connection and try again exactly same problem just like so many others. This will only happen when dota 2 tries to put you in a match; BUT here is the worst part...the disconnects are being counted as 'leaving game' and Steam is banning people from normal gameplay for nothing more than their own networking failures.

The other big problem I saw was the champions, its nice there is over 100 but there is no balance to them at all. And I mean at all, you have champs tower diving at level 2, killin you, and getting away alive. In a game a lvl 3 champ did charge attack to reach me and in 2 hits I was dead, no champ should be able to do that at lvl 3. Its too bad cuz some of the champs seem cool but with no balance who cares.

Just an FYI: You can go into settings and find Network Quality, its default is High, change to Low....you can play a few minutes that way before you end up disconnected regardless; least you get those few minutes.

#2 Posted by FingerChud (25 posts) -

The game has several serious issues that need to be talked about.

The worst is that they launched the game with some critical networking bugs (do a search for dota 2 disconnecting internet); for alot of people (not all but juding by the large number of posts quite a few) the game works fine until they pick their hero and try to play the actual game. They are suddenly locked down with what appears to be a massive lag spike, you cant move or do anything, now n then it'll stutter out a line of chat and eventually take you back to the main screen. If you alt tab out at that point you will find your browser wont work nor anything else net related. I would reset my connection and try again exactly same problem just like so many others. This will only happen when dota 2 tries to put you in a match; BUT here is the worst part...the disconnects are being counted as 'leaving game' and Steam is banning people from normal gameplay for nothing more than their own networking failures.  

I have been playing this game for about a year and haven't experienced any problems with the networking nor do I know anyone who has. I don't doubt that you have these issues, but I would check your firewall settings and connection for issues. I also want to clarify that leaving a game does not give you a ban. The only penalty you recieve is that your matchmaking is set to low priority for an hour or two and you are placed with other game leavers then it's back to high priority.

The other big problem I saw was the champions, its nice there is over 100 but there is no balance to them at all. And I mean at all, you have champs tower diving at level 2, killin you, and getting away alive. In a game a lvl 3 champ did charge attack to reach me and in 2 hits I was dead, no champ should be able to do that at lvl 3. Its too bad cuz some of the champs seem cool but with no balance who cares.

Since you call the "Heroes" of Dota 2 ..."Champions" I'm going to assume your Moba experience is in LOL. I am not a League hater because I enjoy both games, but you have to realize that Dota 2 has a much steeper learning curve than LOL.  You are right that characters are not always balanced against each other, and this is where knowledge of the different Heroes will help you make the proper selection to both help your team and counter theirs. There are also items and strats that can reverse this disadvantage or at the very least minimalize it. 

Like all mobas the community has more than it's fare share of bad apples which can turn new players off when they are just figuring things out. I would highly recomend reading or watching some heroe guides and playing against the AI before jumping into public matches to alleviate this if you don't have thick skin. 

Just an FYI: You can go into settings and find Network Quality, its default is High, change to Low....you can play a few minutes that way before you end up disconnected regardless; least you get those few minutes.

silunt

#3 Posted by silunt (164 posts) -

You ignored the part where I said do a google search for 'dota 2 disconnecting internet' and you will see pages of people with this problem.

#4 Posted by XVision84 (13985 posts) -

I've never heard of this lag problem, but Dota 2 just released and Internationals are going on so there are still things to be worked out. The hero problem, as said before, is not the fault of the game. Dota 2 is great in the sense that it doesn't just nerf every hero so they're balanced. You have to know every hero's strengths and weaknesses if you want to effectively take them on. You're probably just new at the game and are making mistakes or playing with people who have more playtime than you. It just takes some time to get used to.